My Theory for how to Organize the Shards (Please Help Refine it)

Fritochip

I have been thinking a lot recently about the Shards and noticed that it is not just Ruin and Preservation that have to do with change over time, but Cultivation is also in that category. That made me suspect that there is a fourth Change over Time Shard and Invention seems most likely to fill that role. 

That made me wonder if all the Shards were set in four groups of four like the basic allomantic metals. If we start with the Time Shards as a template, here is the table I came up with. 

Time/Change

Relationship/

Connection

Power/

Determination

Emotion/

Identity

Growth

Cultivation

Devotion

Ambition

Valor

Stability

Preservation

Honor

Dominion

Whimsey

Decay

Ruin

Autonomy

Mercy

Odium

Transformation

Invention

Endowment

I am most confident of the left column and reducing confidence as it moves right. I have no confidence in the rows of the Emotion/Identity Shards, but they seem to belong in their column together. The Emotion/Identity column is possibly mislabeled, but I can't think of something better. 

Mercy, Endowment, and Autonomy could very credibly be in different places on the table. The entire Transformation Row is dubious to me as only Invention fits well as the Time Transformation Shard. 

I would love the 17th Shards help in organizing the Shards. If we can find the true order here, then we will know that the two missing Shards fit in the gaps. Knowing that a Shard is missing in the Power Transformation slot may help us identify it. 

One final thing I like about the table is that it breaks Adonalsium into his Power, Identity, Connection, and Change over Time. These feel like a way that a God might shatter. 

Thank you for your help. 

Chip

Edited by Fritochip

I really like this aproach, you mostly see people trying to put four shards into a quadrant instead of this column arrangement with two defining characteristics.

I'd say it looks really good the way you have it, though Mercy as decay of power is definitely an interesting way of interpreting it :)

Well done and welcome to the Shard!

27 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

I really like this aproach, you mostly see people trying to put four shards into a quadrant instead of this column arrangement with two defining characteristics.

I'd say it looks really good the way you have it, though Mercy as decay of power is definitely an interesting way of interpreting it :)

Well done and welcome to the Shard!

Thank you so much. I am dipping my toes into this community after listening to Shardcast for some time. 

4 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

I would probably swap Mercy and Endovment, but all in all this is very refreshing approche, and I like it so much! Probably the most from all othher groupings.

So, you would say Mercy is Transformation of Connection and Endowment is Decay of Power.. I can see that. Mercy makes a lot of sense there. 

I wish we have a true description of Endowment. Nalthis has a whole book and yet only minimal explanation of Endowment. It makes her so hard to place.

I am listening through the Wax and Wayne series and noticed how obsessed Bleeder is with freedom. She talks about it constantly. Assuming Trell is an Avatar of Autonomy, then freedom would make sense as an obsession for the Decay of Power Shard. So maybe Autonomy would fit better in that position.