Awakening Using The Dor [Discuss]

Cocoa

I was thinking, Nalthian and and Selish invested arts both stick out to me for being command-based, as opposed to more purely intent-based (allomancy, feruchemy, surgebinding, sand mastery) or gadget-based (mechanical metallic arts, fabrials, possibly medallions).

And then we have this gem:

Brandon Sanderson

[snip] The way magic from Nalthis works, for example, the system is just looking for any available Investiture to power itself--and so basically anything will do, regardless of the source. [snip]

General Reddit 2019 (April 25, 2019)

So, we've got two invested arts that function via commands, and Awakening can use loose Investiture to fuel itself as opposed to just breaths. With those facts in mind, I think you can 'easily' (bearing in mind that both systems require a high degree of mastery and knowledge to use) hack Awakening to run off the Dor, as long as you're aware of how to Awaken and capable of using a Selish art.

To do this, you would form a command telling an object what to do and picture it in your mind, like when you Awaken, and then draw out that command using a Selish command system (AonDor, Soulstamps, Bloodsealing would probably work well for making lifeless, etc.). The Awakening then takes effect, drawing on the Dor and infusing its Investiture into the target as opposed to using your Breath. I'm unsure, but I think this process would still consume color from an object you're touching as a catalyst.

Thats a good theory, but I believe the you misunderstood the quoted WoB. I always read that snippet as Brandon was explicitly talking about Returned(& probably Nightblood)and what they can feed on. Not that Awakening can be done with any investiture. 

The beginning of the WoB also talks about Returned before the part you linked and like literally right after the end of the snippet you included, the next words were something along the lines of "consuming your own soul in some cases"  Like a Returned that doesnt feed and consumes their soul/Divine Breath. 

Brandon also goes on to say that the "easiest" way to awaken with Stormlight would be to "refine" the power somehow(probably strip it of Identity and Connection)or to change your spiritweb(hemalurgy and the like). I think the same would probably go for the Dor. They're not that different overall.

I like it, but i feel like Awakening already has so many possibilities that having it being able to be fueled by basically any Investiture, natively, without any hacking, would be a little overkill.

i could be wrong though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As Raboniel said, the key doesn't fit the lock. You still have a lock and a key, and although AonDor is probably more analogous to one of those keys (I think they're called rakes) that are used for lockpicking, I don't think it would, just, work to fuel magics like awakening. I think you'd have to re-key it (or change the investiture) in some way in order to make it "open the lock" following my analogy... Or you might be able to draw some through by using some breaths on an awakening that requires more than you have, which could create a disparity that could cause the Dor to break the lock for you.