On the different forms of Physical Investiture

Zoey

I have been wondering on the different forms of Physical Investiture, and the way they work. I am wondering what theories others have, or if I missed some vital WoB. 

Basically, we know that Investiture can take on Physical, Liquid, and Gaseous forms. And we know that these are not based upon temperature, but things such as density and initial conditions. 

But we know that God Metals can melt, as by WoB, and by the presence of God Metal Alloys. But I am wondering, would a melted God Metal have the same properties as the Investiture when it takes on liquid as its initial form. Same with if you somehow vaporize a God Metal. Like, would vaporized Shardblade act the same as normal Stormlight? Or would it have different properties due to different initial forms and conditions. 

I am wondering on others theories, and if they can share them here, and if they can sometime ask it of Brandon next signing or stream or something. 

15 hours ago, Zoey said:

I have been wondering on the different forms of Physical Investiture, and the way they work. I am wondering what theories others have, or if I missed some vital WoB. 

Basically, we know that Investiture can take on Physical, Liquid, and Gaseous forms. And we know that these are not based upon temperature, but things such as density and initial conditions. 

But we know that God Metals can melt, as by WoB, and by the presence of God Metal Alloys. But I am wondering, would a melted God Metal have the same properties as the Investiture when it takes on liquid as its initial form. Same with if you somehow vaporize a God Metal. Like, would vaporized Shardblade act the same as normal Stormlight? Or would it have different properties due to different initial forms and conditions. 

I am wondering on others theories, and if they can share them here, and if they can sometime ask it of Brandon next signing or stream or something. 

I think that changing forms of investiture is more difficult than simply freezing liquid investiture or melting solid investiture. I say this mostly because Atium alloys exist, which means that Atium has to be meltable, which means that people would have noticed if you could make liquid investiture (which as you say is very different from solid investiture). I think that solid investiture will act """"normal"""" in that it will have three (technically four if you include plasma) forms. It will probably have quirks, such as Harmonium's explosiveness, but I don't think that it's properties will change too abnormally based on the temperature.

4 hours ago, Nameless said:

I think that changing forms of investiture is more difficult than simply freezing liquid investiture or melting solid investiture. I say this mostly because Atium alloys exist, which means that Atium has to be meltable, which means that people would have noticed if you could make liquid investiture (which as you say is very different from solid investiture). I think that solid investiture will act """"normal"""" in that it will have three (technically four if you include plasma) forms. It will probably have quirks, such as Harmonium's explosiveness, but I don't think that it's properties will change too abnormally based on the temperature.

Yeah, we know it can melt, but also liquid Investiture doesn't act like a normal melted metal, which would be far thicker and more viscous. We also see both solid and liquid, and even solid and gaseous, forms of the same Investiture exist in the same area, which hints they are not based on temperature, which is further proven by WoB. But we do know God Metals can be made into alloys, which means they must be melted. 

This also makes us question of what happens if you freeze gaseous Investiture (Deposition), like, how would solid Stormlight differ from Tanavastium? 

So I just wonder what exactly is the deeper meaning behind the forms the Investiture takes. 

I think an important aspect which we've been neglecting and probably has a larger impact than we give it credit for is that " And we know that these are not based upon temperature, but things such as density and initial conditions. "

My current hypothesis is that the reason why we have seen, as Zoey points out, solid and liquid investiture existing simultaneously in the same place, at the same temperature, in the same conditions, is (mainly) because of how it was initially made there. In other words, when you make solid investiture of a given type, you are imparting it with different initial conditions than liquid investiture of the same type. Therefore, taking solid investiture and melting it will *not produce the same substance* as liquid investiture, because melted investiture has solid-initial-conditions (whatever those may be), whereas liquid investiture has liquid-initial-conditions (whatever those may be). And, subsequently, I am pretty confident that this works in reverse too: that frozen liquid investiture, because of its liquid-initial-conditions, would look different and have different (at least physical, if not magical) properties than normal solid investiture of the same type.