New Quote Box

Catalyst21

Is there a possibility of getting a 2nd kind of quote? lets call it directquote. Just something so we can differentiate when we are replying to something vs when we are quoting something. maybe something like:

{directquote title='Way of Kings' location='p457' url=''}

{/directquote}

or

{directquote title='Interview with Brandon' location='Barnes and Nobel - Atlanta, Ga' url='www.interviewhostedhere.com'}

{/directquote}

depending on what technology the forum uses, I would be willing to assist programming this.

I think [ref] would be a better choice for tags... it would be relatively simple to create a BBCode that 'quotes' something, but the problem comes with what to do with the meta-data.

Unfortunately, most people would continue to use

's (or even, god forbid, plain-text/email style quoting *despairs* XD).

Technically you can ignore the meta-data with it, maybe just have a little icon in the corner of the box that displays it and lets you copy it out in JSON or something. That would be significantly cooler than just quotes, I agree....but it's quite a technical undertaking, and will inevitably be underutilised.

Nice idea though :D

Joe

I think [ref] would be a better choice for tags... it would be relatively simple to create a BBCode that 'quotes' something, but the problem comes with what to do with the meta-data.

Unfortunately, most people would continue to use {quote}'s (or even, god forbid, plain-text/email style quoting *despairs* XD).

Technically you can ignore the meta-data with it, maybe just have a little icon in the corner of the box that displays it and lets you copy it out in JSON or something. That would be significantly cooler than just quotes, I agree....but it's quite a technical undertaking, and will inevitably be underutilised.

Nice idea though :D

Joe

Shouldn't be that bad, (and I like {ref} better, thanks)

just create a control that inherits from quote, define your overloads and wha-la!

as for the metadata, you can handle it the by putting it in the title bar, same as quote.

even the url shouldn't be that bad, because you already have the ability to have a reference to a post.

Edited by Catalyst21