Raysium and Hemalurgy?

Trusk'our

Question

Okay, first of all, I have no idea what raysium would do as a Hemalurgic spike, and it would be pure insanity to try and figure it out before Sanderson tells us. And that's me saying that. But here are some ideas I had for how you could use raysium in combination with Hemalurgy without using it as a spike itself.

Can you use raysium to extract the charge in a Hemalurgic spike, then add multiple charges into one spike to create a heightened effect, but while using only one spike? Would only one charge be able to effect you at a time, since they're created from separate pieces of spiritweb?

Could you store a hemalurgic charge inside a perfect gemstone to prevent it from leaking? Would the gemstone still be able to grant a Hemalurgic effect if you stabbed someone with it, or would it need to be transferred back to a metal that corresponds with the Hemalurgic charge?

If you could extract the charge from a spike that had weakened to the point where it would no longer lose power via Hemalurgic decay, and then combined multiple charges, would they then leak again, or since they probably still count as separate things, like how bio-chromatic breaths are separate, would they no longer lose their charge?

2 answers to this question

The Investiture conductivity does seem like Raysium's natural properties used with Cosmere knowledge though apparently they do share some Hemalurgic principles

kalamitous_emoashions

Have we seen any evidence of Hemalurgy on Roshar? And, as sort of an addendum, given the end of Oathbringer, was what happened to Jezrien Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

There are certain cosmere philosophers that would count it. I would divide it as two separate things that are using similar fundamentals... I wouldn't call it myself, but there are people who would disagree with me in-world. Have we seen evidence? I would say no evidence that is easily-- easy to pick out.

kalamitous_emoashions

But it's there?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, there are people with Hemalurgy who have been to Roshar. I'm pretty sure they've been on-screen.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

I'm pretty sure that just means similar fundamentals, how it happened shared similar underlying mechanisms but the process itself didn't actually use Ruin's Invested Art.

I suppose it's possible for Godmetals to have inherent properties and interactions with their native Investiture besides their use in the Invested Arts. Harmonium does explode, after all and is used for mechanical Allomancy.

Regardless of whether conducting Investiture is it's innate property or it's property as a Hemalurgic spike, it could be useful in Hemalurgy for transferring Hemalurgic charge, creating supercharged spikes, stealing the same attribute from multiple victims into the same spike (wait, can normal spikes do that? I think you can pierce once, though maybe that wasn't a hard limit, just Hemalurgic decay) stuff like that

I do remember that a spike needs to be attached to a living thing(or close to it) to be able to stay functional. Though he talked about it being possible for people to somehow keep them intact without it.

I do wonder if Rasyium can only transfer over investiture, or can it do anything.

God Metals are the wierd thing, they are wierd.