Overwriting your spiritweb with your possible future self?

Trusk'our

Question

I once made a theory that you could possibly Hemalurgically spike an Allomantic gold shadow and then graft it to yourself in order to overwrite your spiritweb, kind of like a bootleg version of Forgery. But could you instead spike an Allomantic electrum shadow? Perhaps you could give yourself skills and memories from a hypothetical future version of yourself? You normally would only be able to see a few seconds into the future, but maybe duralumin or reverse compounding would allow you to stretch it further.

2 answers to this question

Blood itself isn't necessary to create a Hemalurgic charge, I don't think iirc, it "just so happened" that Hemalurgic bind points almost always coincided with major arteries and veins (not that that's a problem for the recipient, Hemalurgy literally reshapes their organs out of the way and does not cause infections, I wish that it didn't do those things, then that could've been another factor to take into consideration for Hemalurgists and it would have been very Ruin-y), and blood could help against Hemalurgic decay.

It is apparently possible to spike a spren

Questioner

Supposing that a skilled Hemalurgist got hold of some a Shardblade or some Shardplate, how would he best use it assuming that the best way isn't to put it on and kill people with it.

Brandon Sanderson

That's probably the best way, to put it on and kill people with it. I'm not sure why a Hemalurgist would want one more than anyone else would because the metal is already Invested which means its not useful to him.

Questioner

So there is no way that he could use a Hemalurgic spike to take some power from the Spren that's crafting it.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, that's what you're saying. You want to grab something off the Spren? That's gonna be way harder than grabbing one that's not already made into something. So I don't see why he would want the Blade, just go grab it from them. Even then its going to be worse then, probably in most cases, a person. Maybe its possible that spiking yourself with a Spren would be valid, but you don't want to take it out of the Shardblade. That's gonna be harder, but you would probably have to go to the Cognitive either way to make it work, so yeah.

Shadows of Self Portland signing (Oct. 10, 2015)

Questioner

Can you Hemalurgically spike a highspren?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, asterisk.

JordanCon 2018 (April 21, 2018)

Could be that Brandon had something like Ishar's experiments in mind to make this work though.

Also I'm pretty sure that your Spiritually perfect self is already a part of your Spiritweb. And an Electrum shadow won't be enough, it only shows a few seconds into the future, a minute if you stretch it. You'll need an Atium shadow. Then you have to contend with the problem of whether they'll even have Bindpoints, if you could access said bindpoints from the Physical given that your shadow is not a Physical thing, is that your own Spiritweb.