Feruchemy ShardBlade

SkateFastEatAss

came here for the new topic
stayed for the username

8 minutes ago, SkateFastEatAss said:

Using Intent could we make a Coppermind shard blade that sucks the violent/sword-related memories from foe and channels them into the wielder?

hmm...

perhaps?

I can't think of anything that directly says we cant
but it'd require a ton of knowledge that we don't currently have

i suppose you could hack together a leecher cube thing with a pair of unkeyed copperminds
but there's no evidence that that's possible
but there's also no evidence that it isn't possible

this is one of those questions where its just "i mean,i guess?"
the real answer is just "we have no idea"

it wouldn't be a shardblade tho
no spren involved
just allomancy and feruchemy

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 0:46 AM, SkateFastEatAss said:

Using Intent could we make a Coppermind shard blade that sucks the violent/sword-related memories from foe and channels them into the wielder?

If you could hack together the systems of Awakening and Feruchemy, I would think that this could be achievable, though difficult.

I kind of see it both ways:

On the one hand, investiture resists investiture. Awakening an invested object is extremely difficult, so you probably couldn't take a coppermind and awaken it to sentience in the way Nightblood was awakened. At the very least, it would require far more breaths/investiture to overcome the resistance.

On the other hand, RoW spoilers:

Spoiler

"unmaking" a spren by pumping it full of another form of investiture is not only possible -- we see it nearly happen to the Sibling in RoW. Yes, the Sibling was weak and relatively uninvested, but the Sibling is literally a splinter of both Honor and Cultivation's investiture -- so I would think they would be considerably more resistant than a coppermind to a different form of investiture.

There are, of course, other theoretical options for combining the powers of Endowment and Feruchemy. For example: if Edgli was killed, and Sazed took up the shard of Endowment, I think it would certainly be feasible for him to alter the "heightening" magic system such that it incorporated feruchemical abilities to some extent -- which could then have effects on splinters formed and given sentience via awakening (like Nightblood was). Or if Sazed migrated to Nalthis and had a relationship with Edgli, similar to Tanavast and Koravellium's relationship (which produced the high spren on Roshar), that could also work.

I can't really see Sazed doing either of those things, particularly the latter, but...you know. Hypothetically speaking. I'm not trying to ship Sazed with other vessels or anything, particularly the scariest non-explicitly antagonistic vessel we know of.

On 1/15/2022 at 0:05 AM, Trusk'our said:

If you could hack together the systems of Awakening and Feruchemy, I would think that this could be achievable, though difficult.

Why would you need Awakening? To give the copperminds a specific Intent? Could a Feruchemist not give their Coppermind an Intent without Awakening being involved?

8 hours ago, Wandering Shade said:

Why would you need Awakening? To give the copperminds a specific Intent? Could a Feruchemist not give their Coppermind an Intent without Awakening being involved?

Could memory have intent?  Like, you only put the most vile, violent thoughts and memories into the Coppermind, or recreate the same thought / experience over and over to constantly store it?  Maybe, eventually, when invested enough, it takes sentience and starts to act on the memories? Lol

To my knowledge, in theory if you gave a metalmind enough investiture it would start to resemble NightBlood, or any other Shardblade. I feel like I've heard that either on a Shardcast or WoB (if someone remembers where please tell me). Though iirc it becomes extremely difficult (or just straight-up impossible) to shove more investiture into a Metalmind after a certain point, which is a slight problem when trying to create objects like that.

However if you could do that, memories stored inside a shard helping determine identity is an idea I really like.

On 12/15/2021 at 0:46 AM, SkateFastEatAss said:

But getting to the main theory, the biggest problem with that would probably be that extracting someone's memories against their will is not something we've really seen someone do I mean besides for (spoilers for RoW):

Spoiler

Odium messing with Hoid's breath-memories, but those are stored externally so I'd count them as separate

So we need a way to do that right? I think that Hemalurgy (or like some bondsmithy-magitech) is probably better-suited to your goals than Feruchemy, since the easiest way to do that would be to steal their connection to their weapon. Getting that connection to you might be difficult with Hemalurgy though

12 hours ago, DiePie said:

To my knowledge, in theory if you gave a metalmind enough investiture it would start to resemble NightBlood, or any other Shardblade. I feel like I've heard that either on a Shardcast or WoB (if someone remembers where please tell me). Though iirc it becomes extremely difficult (or just straight-up impossible) to shove more investiture into a Metalmind after a certain point, which is a slight problem when trying to create objects like that.

However if you could do that, memories stored inside a shard helping determine identity is an idea I really like.

But getting to the main theory, the biggest problem with that would probably be that extracting someone's memories against their will is not something we've really seen someone do I mean besides for (spoilers for RoW):

Hide contents

Odium messing with Hoid's breath-memories, but those are stored externally so I'd count them as separate

So we need a way to do that right? I think that Hemalurgy (or like some bondsmithy-magitech) is probably better-suited to your goals than Feruchemy, since the easiest way to do that would be to steal their connection to their weapon. Getting that connection to you might be difficult with Hemalurgy though

We know that Raysium (by way of the spears the Heavenly Ones use, and Raboniels dagger) conducts investiture, though we aren't 100% if it naturally does in only one direction or if the Raysium weapons we've seen were polarized in some way.  I wonder, if like alloying metal with Lerasium you can become a misting or something from a different magic system, that you could alloy Raysium, or add a fabrial in some fashion, to cause it to channel other things?

• 5 weeks later...