Spatial limitations on Bondsmiths

Oltux72

Sylphrena stated that she has to stay within a few kilometers from Kaladin if she wants to retain her mind.

That is obviously not the case for the Stormfather. But what about the Nightwatcher and the Sibling? What about going into Shadesmar? In particular what would happen to the Nightwatcher?

I suspect that the Bondsmith spren are a special case.  The Sibling, Stormfather, and Nightwatcher all were sentient prior to forming a bond with their Bondsmith.  Also, the bond may be stronger due to the Bondsmith's innate Spiritual Adhesion.  I suspect they have significantly less spatial limitations.

I believe that the nightwatcher Bondsmith can go wherever they want. The sibling Bondsmith has to stay in the tower; not because of proximity to the sibling, but because the Bondsmith becomes part of the tower fabrial. They can no more leave the tower than a flamespren can leave a fabrial.

That said, I don’t have any proof.

My theory is that the Bondsmith Spren, which are, from all appearances, much larger or more potent pieces of investiture than your standard spren, are much more connected to the spiritual realm and are thus more able to transcend or ignore spacial limitations. You can see this connection to the spiritual realm in the Stormfather and Sibling's ability to produce stormlight/towerlight, and the Nightwatcher's ability to rewrite a person's spirit web (which is what I assume the boon/curse is doing).

18 hours ago, Truthwatcher Artifabrian said:

I believe that the nightwatcher Bondsmith can go wherever they want. The sibling Bondsmith has to stay in the tower; not because of proximity to the sibling, but because the Bondsmith becomes part of the tower fabrial. They can no more leave the tower than a flamespren can leave a fabrial.

That said, I don’t have any proof.

Presumably Melishi had to leave the Tower to imprison Ba-Ado-Mishram since it is unlikely she would be in the Tower.

Edited by LordTheodore

On 11/25/2020 at 3:15 PM, Truthwatcher Artifabrian said:

The sibling Bondsmith has to stay in the tower; not because of proximity to the sibling, but because the Bondsmith becomes part of the tower fabrial. They can no more leave the tower than a flamespren can leave a fabrial.

Ooooooh, I like this. How poetic would it be that Navani, who has been trapping spren to create fabrials, is now trapped in a fabrial herself?