The three godspren and the Three Major Schools of Thought in Classical China

Karger

The three major schools of thought that emerged in China during the warring states period were Confucianism, Daoism, and Legalism.  Interestingly these conform almost exactly to the three godspren.  The idea behind Legalism is that the state should act as a sort of automatic karma.  Bad actions should be punished and good actions should be rewarded in predictable ways by and independent machine like bureaucracy.  This corresponds to the Sibling.  Taoists on the other hand state that structures are artificial.  Instead acting spontaneously accordingly with the overall natural order of things that can only be experienced directly leads to the greatest human happiness.  This corresponds to the NW.  A natural spirit of growth and change renowned for its unpredictability.  Finally Confucianism states that acting correctly with good rituals and paying homage to those socially or politically superior to you is important as is those individual's benevolence toward their lessors.  This corresponds to the Stormfather.  A great being that cares deeply for his children and must maintain proper relationships.

Am I on to something or am I just reading way to much well stuck in quarantine?

Edited by Karger

24 minutes ago, Karger said:

The three major schools of thought that emerged in China during the warring states period were Confucianism, Daoism, and Legalism.  Interestingly these conform almost exactly to the three godspren.  The idea behind Legalism is that the state should act as a sort of automatic karma.  Bad actions should be punished and good actions should be rewarded in predictable ways by and independent machine like bureaucracy.  This corresponds to the Sibling.  Taoists on the other hand state that structures are artificial.  Instead acting spontaneously accordingly with the overall natural order of things that can only be experienced directly leads to the greatest human happiness.  This corresponds to the NW.  A natural spirit of growth and change renowned for its unpredictability.  Finally Confucianism states that acting correctly with good rituals and paying homage to those socially or politically superior to you is important as is those individual's benevolence toward their lessors.  This corresponds to the Stormfather.  A great being that cares deeply for his children and must maintain proper relationships.

Am I on to something or am I just reading way to much well stuck in quarantine?

Upvote for quality history.

That isn't too much of a stretch, but it seems to be a bit of one. I know Brandon often takes inspiration from outside the typical scope of fantasy. I can easily imagine this as more of a subconscious decision, but him directly deciding, "Oh yeah, I'm going to base the Bondsmith spren off of the three main classical, chinese schools of thought." Seems like a bit of a stretch. But maybe not, you never know with Brandon.

1 minute ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

Oh yeah, I'm going to base the Bondsmith spren off of the three main classical, chinese schools of thought." Seems like a bit of a stretch. But maybe not, you never know with Brandon.

They do match up a bit too neatly.  However in the course of probability it is probable that many improbable things will happen.  I was just reading about the warring states period and it kind of struck me.

Relevant WoB:

Question

When writing Stormlight, did you get any inspirations from the Chinese Confucian system? The Azish government really reminds me of that.

Brandon Sanderson

So... Yes. Um... Chinese. 新年快乐? This is my only Chinese. [It means] Happy new year. So yes. Living in Korea for several years, I became very interested in the Confucian system. When I returned back from Korea, I studied in college about Chinese history and I found it fascinating. So the Azish are partially inspired by the Chinese Confucian system.

Paris signing (Oct. 22, 2016)