Silence Divine Reading

Delightful

Well, I think it's Silence Divine, based on the description of it, except apparently it's a novella not a novel now. I stumbled across this on youtube, not sure if it's been mentioned round here before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0L1Gkfahsk

Sound interesting, though as Brandon said, very description heavy and not so much happening. I'm very interested to see what it turns into.

It sounds like Incubators are constantly sick so other people can catch the disease and get magic at any time - kind of like a coppermind type thing. But they have special societal status, and the protagonist whose name I can't quite catch isn't in a cell-thing, so I'm not sure what exactly is going on there.

Not sure what the ghost things are, but they're waaay creepy. Like, dead child following you around? Sounds like a Cosmere horror story coming up.

It's probably an occupational hazard of getting magic from disease. Sometimes, it just sticks around, even when the main effect is over.

Makes me wonder if one could experience a second infection that would grant different abilities, sort of like how shingles is related to chicken pox. 

I wonder if STDs are a big commodity here. Imagine brothels with two types of prostitutes - normal ones and those with diseases, which would allow you to gain power through sex. I imagine the latter would cost more.

What interests me the most is that this is a cosmere story. This seems very different from the magic systems we've seen so far. I wonder what sort of shard grants magical abilities along with illness?

It could be due to Roshar's three Shards - Odium making one's means of obtaining magic an unpleasant one, Honor preventing it from being too unpleasant and Cultivation acting as a means of balance somehow.

Edited by Ketek

"Gonorrhea for superstrength! Syphilis for telekinesis! And a once-in-a-lifetime offer - AIDS for nearly-unlimited precognitive ability! Sure, you'll likely die young, but before you do you'll be king of everything!"