Is Renarin the 1st to have Two Shard blades!?

metaldragon

----------SPOILERS--------------

(someone please tell me how to hid stuff)

1. We know he bonded the blade Adolin won for him

2. We know hes a KR

3. he made a "rock" appear out of nowhere to make markings on the wall similar to how syl transforms into whatever Kaladin needed her to be during his fight. Meaning his spren can also turn into a shard blade if needed.

This mean he's the fist we have too to have not 1 but 2 blades!

Edited by metaldragon

To use a Spoiler, Type [spoiler**] insert your text, and Write [/spoiler**] at the End. Just Remove the Star thingies.

1. He Will probably Unbond that Blade as soon as Possible.

2. Yes, but he has not Manifested his Shardblade yet.

3. He found that on the Floor.

1. possibly but he's had it this long so who knows

2-3. I think he HAS manefested it already and thats where the rock came from. I'm pretty sure Kaladin would have notice a huge rock laying around and Brandon isn't one to waste words.

He cant claim to be a KR without saying his Ideal or know hes a truthseeker again without saying the ideal of his order.

If he's said the idea than he has the blade.

Actually, a huge rock wouldn't be very practical for writing on a wall.  A small piece of slate, chalk or sandstone (assuming crem here) would do just fine and would fit in the palm of a hand, or a pocket very nicely.  He also used a dagger a few times.

He didn't seem to have any problems with the Shardblade when he was bonding it, so I don't think he's had a Nahel bond very long.

He might have said the first Ideal, but that doesn't guarantee that he has a blade yet.  We don't know when the Truthwatchers get their Blades.  The Windrunners didn't get them until they said the Third Ideal.

Edited by RShara

You don't need to spoiler tag it though :)

He doesn't have two blades yet, but he could potentially be the first.  I think he'll likely get rid of his dead spren-blade asap instead though.

The ONLY KR who does not have a spren blade is Dalinar since the stormfather told him he wouldn't be a blade for him like the others.

Every other  KR we have seen has a "Sprenblade" as soon as they say the oath of their order.

IF Renarin claims to be a Truth seeker he must have said his oath meaning he must have a blade....

No, I'm sorry.  Kaladin said the first Ideal and the second Ideal in the first book.  Syl wasn't able to become a Blade until the second book, when he said the third Ideal.  Each order gets their Blades at different points.

He didn't seem to have any problems with the Shardblade when he was bonding it, so I don't think he's had a Nahel bond very long.

He had a hard time with the blade when Adolin first gave it to him he Grimaced.  He being a radiant means he would hear the death screams of the spren as he touches the blade just like every other KR.

He did grimace.  But considering the reactions of the other Radiants who've touched dead Blades, it may or may not mean that he heard the screams.  It might have just made him uncomfortable like Dalinar felt.  Either way, he hasn't shown any ability to get a live sprenblade yet, so I don't think he's progressed far enough to have Glys transform.

He did grimace.  But considering the reactions of the other Radiants who've touched dead Blades, it may or may not mean that he heard the screams.  It might have just made him uncomfortable like Dalinar felt.  Either way, he hasn't shown any ability to get a live sprenblade yet, so I don't think he's progressed far enough to have Glys transform.

He pretty clearly says that he thought it (read: the screaming) were all in his head when confronted about it by Dalinar at the very end of the book. Feather would probably write a much longer post about it, but he does hear the screaming (he is erratic and disturbed when bonding it, but calms down when finally able to dismiss it; he grimaces when he first touches it; he grimaces when summoning it during the Narack battle (Shallan even comments on it)).

The screaming is likely as strong for Renarin as it was for Kaladin, but he is (or at least has been) sick, and he knows how others view him. He likely wasn't all that surprised that he first heard it, and he figured that it was all just something happening in his own head.

I doubt Renarin is the first to have two shardblades, they've existed for a *long* time, chances are someone has done it. Actually Elhokar has two, his "Sunraiser", and his father's "Firestorm".

What Weiry said; the thing is, it's impractical to use two Shardblades at once. Why would you need it, when one is enough to kill people with ease? And dual-wielding weakens your blows (one hand for one blade) which means it's not too useful even against enemy Shardbearers, unless you're going all-out and your opponent is significantly weaker, to the extent that you don't need to fear a counterattack. Easier to just use one blade, find an opening and hit as hard as you can.

If anything, I could see it being used as an element of surprise. Hide one Blade, and then summon it when everyone thinks you only have one. I can see it being very handy in foiling assassinations. Or in making people lower their guard.

"You can trust me! See, my Shardblade is there, on the floor! If it disappears you have ten heartbeats to run away before I can attack you!"

"Well, I suppose I don't have to worry then, even if you are trying to take my princedom for yourself! Now, let's sit down and discuss the conditions of your surrender... WAITWHYTHECREMDOYOUHAVEANOTHERSHARDBLADE-"

Edit: Gavilar's blade, Firestorm is likely an unbonded Shardblade. It does belong to Elhokar, but I think it's not actually bonded to anyone.

Edited by Ketek

Having two Shardblades would only be useful if you Were fighting UnSharded Opponents, or if both the Spren blades were still alive, and could Change.  If you got a Bunch of Spren to bond to you, could they all take different shapes, and make a Set of Power Armor? (Not Shardplate, I'm more talking about the Iron Monger suit.)

One of Renarin's weaknesses so far has been that Shardblade. He didn't freeze in duel because of his disease. It happened because he had to summon and hold that sword. So I don't see why would he want to keep it even if dualwielding shardblades was a smart thing to do. 

Having two Shardblades would only be useful if you Were fighting UnSharded Opponents, or if both the Spren blades were still alive, and could Change.  If you got a Bunch of Spren to bond to you, could they all take different shapes, and make a Set of Power Armor? (Not Shardplate, I'm more talking about the Iron Monger suit.)

How exactly would using two Shardblades versus UnSharded opponents be useful? It would exhaust Shardbearer faster and make him slower while giving him no real advantages. Dual wielding is weaker in every way except speed which doesn't applies to huge swords like dead-spren-blades and versatility. First one is pointless no matter who's your opponent while second one... I don't see why Shardbearer would need two Shardblades to fight regular soldier... On the other hand it would work against other Shardbearers, especially in duel matches, because Shardbearers don't get any training with/against two Shardblades and I'm not sure how their stances would work against it. But most likely it would still be worse than a single Shardblade, except in some special cases. Smaller Shardblades though would have a huge advantage while dual wielded. Is it possible to hold two Honorblades? And I'm really interested if its possible to turn your Spren into two weapons.

I hope Szeth will get his own Sprenblade in next book and wield it with Nightblood.

Edited by Cracknut

I don't think you're allowed to dual-wield in duels. I've never seen anyone do so, although it could just be because people only bond one Blade. And I presume any dual-wielding would use Flamestance - it's meant for a one-handed grip after all. However, I'd say all of them can be attuned to the usage of two Blades, much like the lightsaber forms in Star Wars.

And yes, you can bond two Honorblades. 

I don't think you're allowed to dual-wield in duels. I've never seen anyone do so, although it could just be because people only bond one Blade. And I presume any dual-wielding would use Flamestance - it's meant for a one-handed grip after all. However, I'd say all of them can be attuned to the usage of two Blades, much like the lightsaber forms in Star Wars.

And yes, you can bond two Honorblades.

Flamestance is pretty bad for dual wielding actually. Yes, you have a one-handed grip, but the way the stance works is that you have your other hand acting as a support underneath the midpoint on the blade, allowing for pretty stable overhead blocking. Here's a pic of the posture.

Stance8.jpg

For dual-wielding, what you want is Smokestance. Smokestance is actually specifically meant for two weapons, with a longsword in one hand and a dagger in another. You could probably adapt for the extra length, especially since weight isn't an issue with Shardblades. Here's a pic for that one.

Stance7.jpg

If you have 2 Shardweapons, that can cut through anything, It's just Easier when Massacring Soldiers, who can't strike through your Plate.

And you'd also deprive your side of one less Shardbearer who would be more effective fighting alongside you, then if you'd taken up both Blades yourself. It also means you're at risk of losing more Shards if you fall, and you'd need more space to maneuver two Blades, I think. The best usage I can think of for a second Blade is essentially for assassination, whether for foiling it or for making sure it succeeds. Anything that requires surprise, really.

Flamestance is pretty bad for dual wielding actually. Yes, you have a one-handed grip, but the way the stance works is that you have your other hand acting as a support underneath the midpoint on the blade, allowing for pretty stable overhead blocking. Here's a pic of the posture.

Stance8.jpg

For dual-wielding, what you want is Smokestance. Smokestance is actually specifically meant for two weapons, with a longsword in one hand and a dagger in another. You could probably adapt for the extra length, especially since weight isn't an issue with Shardblades. Here's a pic for that one.

Stance7.jpg

Ah right, I'd forgotten about Smokestance. However, I think a stance isn't all about its postures; it's more about the philosophy behind it, although this could just be me projecting my love of the lightsaber forms onto Shardblade stances.

• Chaos locked this topic