Untold Tales of the Cosmere

pizzastrology

So, Brandon's a man with a giant plate and it's still so full! Since we know we probably maybe won't get series that explore all the shards like we have so far, what do we make of "the rest"? Six unknown Shards feels like a big deal, right? 

I suspect we'll get the stories of their original Vessels at best second-hand. I say original because some or all of them, I think, might be having their exploits totally off camera, and will be replaced by new Vessels, maybe in true Sazed style with Shard fusion action. I think these new Vessels will be very important endgame players, for whatever the decision becomes: forge a new Adonalsium, end the Shards and let investiture do its thing, whatever. Further I think that the fact that they are not the original Vessels is going to be a huge problem and tipping point for Hoid, leading him to show whatever his hand is, wrapping him in as a perspective character with motivations both old and new. 

All wild speculation, of course, but the idea of six whole series happening totally off screen but alongside what we're shown feels mighty Sandersonian to me. For the bit about new Vessels I rely on extrapolating from Sazed, Odium's fear of merging with another Shard, the Honor issue, etc. As to Hoid: I love the character as he is, but getting those perspectives one day worries me. All that backstory, all that time Hoid has spent doing stuff, all the new stuff to care about. Will I care by then, or will I think, Hoid, man, you don't have to be an extremely cool version of an Anne Rice vampire forever? So by radically changing the circumstances on him, he'll need to adapt and even develop, find new meaning in his long life. 

Anyone else have thoughts about what might become of those untold tales? Or my take? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic