Roshar itself is a fabrial

2Shanez

1 minute ago, IGetLIFTed said:

Perfect gems can hold Stormlight forever, but they still lose it if the Stormlight is going into something. A perfect gem could power Roshar for a little bit, but it would still run out very soon, if it’s not recharged by Stormlight.

Yeah, but the question would be how much Stormlight something that large could hold versus the drain. 

7 hours ago, Invocation said:

Yeah, but the question would be how much Stormlight something that large could hold versus the drain. 

If the gem has no way to be recharged, it wouldn’t matter; the gem will run out, and there won’t be Stormlight to recharge it. This got derailed a little; what I was saying was that it is very unlikely the fabrial is being currently powered, so what could it do it it was being powered.

As for all of the pre-shattering talk of it not being a fabrial before the shards showed up, we do know that shards can move planets. There are a couple of WoB that talk about the spatial characteristics of the Roshar System as a whole being important I think. I wouldn't be suprised if the whole system is a fabrial for trapping Rayse (without Honor having to use most of his power to do it, like Preservation did with Ruin).

As for gravity, if it's an immensely complex fabrial, it would be able to manipulate the gravity around the planet. This assumes it was permanently anchored to the spiritual realm, so it wouldn't need to be recharged.

Regarding the "Gemstone piller somewhere in Roshar that someone would have noticed:" There is a spot on Roshar that is notorious for not being somewhere people go, and I'm not even talking about Akinah (although they might be the same). That place might even have a huge tower.

Lastly, the whole city-plate thing with Kabsal speaks about some sort of unique geometry or symmetry in the foundations of the planet. Proabably a clue that Shallan will figure out at some point.

Edited by Config2
Typos!

On 2/6/2019 at 9:03 PM, 2Shanez said:

Have this half-baked theory that Roshar itself, as in the whole planet, is a fabrial.

Urithiru seems to be one big ol' fabrial. So city sized fabrial's aren't out of the question. Several other cities are depicted to have similar odd strata, though of course no other giant gem cores mentioned.

What if Roshar's core is a humongous gem?

How this could be relevant or used is the question. Please prove my crazy theory wrong.

That's a very cool theory. So since Roshar is predating the Shattering that means that Adonalsium would've made it, maybe he foresaw the future and realized it would be needed somewhere along the way for some reason. Being Adonalsium he had the power to do it, bring metal underground veins together (metal is needed in fabrials right?)  and made the planet's core a huge gem. Right?

Okay, so what could it be used for? What surge would it be replicating? What spren would it need to be fueled with? Got any theories why he would make it?

• Chaos locked this topic