Could Trell be an insane splinter of Honor?

Fanghur Rahl

Okay, I mentioned this on the Discord the other day, and just on the one-in-a-billion chance I might be onto something here, I just wanna go on record with this. Is it even conceivable that the being that we know as Trell might be some insane splinter or avatar of Honor? Literally the only piece of evidence I have for this, if it even qualifies as evidence, is the name ‘Trell’. The only other place I have ever in my life heard that name before the Cosmere was minor yet narratively significant character of the same name in the Thomas Covenant series. In that series, and keeping spoilers to a minimum, Trell violates a sacred oath he made to do no harm and ends up going insane and psychotic as a result. 

Now I know that Brandon at the very least knows about this series, since he’s mentioned it, so for all I know he very well could have gotten the name from there, but I find it vanishingly unlikely that he’d go further and actually emulate the character, but not impossible I suppose. And if he is, the closest direct parallel in the Cosmere would probably be a splinter of Honor who went insane by violating an oath in some sense. Or maybe of some other Shard who a similar thing happened to.

Is this even a remote possibility at this point based on what we know? Or do we know for a fact that this parallel, if it even is one, is just the name? Like I said, I think this is very unlikely.

I want this to be true, because it would be such a twist when we’re expecting it to be Autonomy or something and an insane splinter of Honour sounds awesome. But other than that, I can see some parallels, however tenuous.

• Paalm is a Kandra, who all have sworn by the First Contract not to kill. When she has the spike, boom. Starts killing people, breaking the vow and going insane as a result. Of course, there are other reasons she did this, but it’s interesting.
  • Hemalurgic Chimeras are the monsters made from one Trellium spike and a human. Unlike other Spiked creatures like Inquisitors and Kandra, they are completely feral. Even the Koloss have more intelligence and can speak, understand coins. Chimeras are none of this, despite being made from humans and having the least amount of spikes from all of them. One could say they’re insane. To what oath they’ve broken, I don’t know.

I like this idea, it would be a very brandersonian twist and might fit with the sort of order that we have seen in the Set. Also, it would fit with in all of the various Shards we have seen so far. Maybe Trell was a sort of hard-drive back up for Honor that got corrupted and sought out Scadrial when Ruin and Preservation died and Harmony ascended.  

• Chaos locked this topic