Magic: Children of the Nameless Sample Chapter

Quantus

https://io9.gizmodo.com/brandon-sanderson-wrote-a-magic-the-gathering-novella-183101102

Brandon Sanderson is known for his fantastical, intricate magic systems across the whole interconnected worlds of his Cosmere novels. But now, he’s turning to another of his passions to weave a new story of magic: literally, because he’s gotten his hands on the worlds of the legendary card game Magic: The Gathering.

io9 is proud to exclusively reveal the first look at Brandon Sanderson’s latest novella, Magic: Children of the Nameless. Written in collaboration with the Magic’s story team at Wizards of the Coast, Children of the Nameless invites readers to meet a young girl named Tacenda who is capable of great magic, until tragedy strikes at the worst possible time. But during that tragedy, Tacenda crosses paths with a mysterious new Planeswalker named Davriel, designed by Sanderson himself.

Brandon Sanderson has written a Magic: The Gathering Novella

The link has a brief write-up, interview with Brandon, and the First Chapter as a sample.

Always wanted to read books in the MGT series, but they are so expensive now, and sold by sellers at amazon of questionable feedback.  I hope he releases this on paper at some point and in the future writes an entire novel or 3 in the universe.

I have to admit that I'm a bit underwhelmed at this as his secret project. 

I'm glad for him that he gets to engage his passion hobby on a professional level. I'm sure that was cool as heck to get to work directly with the WotC MTG team on this project. But...

I just don't care about MTG universe or novels now that I don't play the game. Don't get me wrong, I still own the first ever MTG novel, Arena and the rest of the Greensleeves Trilogy and I re-visit it now and again to be reminded of when I actually played back in HS. 

Anyway, I'll still probably buy it... and probably enjoy it, this announcement as the secret project is just underwhelming to me. 

4 minutes ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

I have to admit that I'm a bit underwhelmed at this as his secret project. 

I'm glad for him that he gets to engage his passion hobby on a professional level. I'm sure that was cool as heck to get to work directly with the WotC MTG team on this project. But...

I just don't care about MTG universe or novels now that I don't play the game. Don't get me wrong, I still own the first ever MTG novel, Arena and the rest of the Greensleeves Trilogy and I re-visit it now and again to be reminded of when I actually played back in HS. 

Anyway, I'll still probably buy it... and probably enjoy it, this announcement as the secret project is just underwhelming to me. 

Well good thing is that it is free of charge :)

Ok, well since it was free... I read it!

Just in case spoiler for my thoughts on it: 

Spoiler

I thought it was... ok. 

Since it's a MTG story I think Brandon wasn't able to do the think which makes him Brandon, which is a more "hard" magic system. It seemed like he was trying to do that, within the limits of the MTG storytelling framework. I... dislike the soft, basically ruleless magic in it. 

Characters and story were interesting. I didn't call some of the things that happened which is always nice, and some of the moral/ethical discussions being set in Innistrad are interesting. But overall I'd give it a 3/5 if I were rating it. Better than not, but not thrilling for me. 

I DID enjoy the Davriel as a character, to me he was the shining star in the thing, though there was definitely some Lightsong shining through him ;)

Edited by Green Hoodie Mistborn

• Chaos locked this topic