Theories - First post.

TamM

Hopefully someone has posted something similar and can help with my theories regarding Roshar and the Parshendi.

1. Roshar was dragged from the seabed with flaura and fauna intact to act as a sort of dueling circle on a grand scale. With the gods bringing their champions and cannon fodder from other worlds to fight there. West was the starting point for humans KR and the most earth like environment, the East was for the Parshendi and Voidbringers and is the most aquatic like environment.

2. The Parshendi are either an aquatic or subterranean species. They named their place of origin Darkhome and their skin colouration would work as camouflage on a volcanic world, it was warmer than Roshar, perhaps deep underground heated by colcanic activity. Some Spren appear as crystal formations to begin with, perhaps harking back to their original shapes when they worked with the Parshendi.  I was thinking of a race living under the ice on a moon like Titan and then the gods altering things to allow humans to exist and fight. Their singing is like the whales on earth, used for contacting each other over vast distances but they use the cognitive realm to channel these songs.

3. The lines on the map of Roshar are ley lines. I think that travelling will be linked to the nodes on the lines. I created a RPG world years ago along with a friend and we used a similar idea. The number of lines crossing at a point had an influence on the size of the group that could use it for travel. Two lines crossing was OK for a few people but an army would need a node with multiple crossing lines. The shard pools will be a sort of super node allowing travel to other realms.

4. Parshendi always had shardplate. It is created from fabrial based magic and the parshendi are fabrials themselves. They were armed with it when they were known as the last legion. The higher spren copied what they saw and in the same way shardblades are copies of the honor blades they will draw lesser spren to the KR and they will form the KR shardplate. Kaladin almost got his shardplate during the storm when all the windspren surrounded him. If he and Syl had known what to do they could have done it then.

Congrats on the first post! I don't personally tend to add too much to theories; I'm more of a lurker. But I did want to comment since I'm awake and reading around the forums that I really like your logic on point #2. It seems well thought out whether it turns out to be true or not. I think your parallels between Parshendi and aquatic species are a good catch either way. I'll leave the actually contributions to those more knowledgeable than I. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth (which I imagine is roughly $0.02).

Except for the fact that the Parshendi are Rosharan natives, I don't think there is any knowledge that could dispute your theory.

Personally I like your idea that the Parshendi and the others are crustacean. Though I think that the Knights Plate and the Dawnshards are one and the same. With absolutely no information to back me up.

I do enjoy this theory.. I think the evolution of the Parshendi is acurate and would explain thier camflouge and development well.

-however i do counter the point of thier shardplates.. CrystalBodies makes a good point in how spren emulated the honorblades of the Heralds for the KR and how that comparison probably would not transfer to shardplates..

This shardplate thoery is highly debatable and I cannot wait to find the conclusion.

1. By gods do you mean Shards? or the Returned? Because the whole spren Nahel bond thing that powers the magic on Roshar is used by everybody on Roshar that uses magic...

Edit: 3. Oathgates are teleportation on Roshar, and we have Elsecallers with teleportation. We don't need more teleportation.

4. do you mean that some property of the Parshendi (maybe a special form) allowed them to call lesser voidspren to make Shardplate? How are parshendi fabrials? also, doesn't shardplate have gemstones in it?

Edit 2: I apologize if this seems rude, I am just curious as to how you drew these conclusions

Edited by Ashiok

1. By gods do you mean Shards? or the Returned? Because the whole spren Nahel bond thing that powers the magic on Roshar is used by everybody on Roshar that uses magic...

The Parshendi call them Gods, my initial thought was the Parshendi were from the southern continent of Scandriel and the Gods were Ruin and Preservation. Now that the Parshendi are native to Roshar I am not so sure. Pushed I would say that the Gods were Shards.

Edit: 3. Oathgates are teleportation on Roshar, and we have Elsecallers with teleportation. We don't need more teleportation.

Using the nodes limits teleportation, which was why I introduced it into my game/world.

4. do you mean that some property of the Parshendi (maybe a special form) allowed them to call lesser voidspren to make Shardplate? How are parshendi fabrials? also, doesn't shardplate have gemstones in it?

I believe that the Parshendi have gem hearts and that when they bond a spren they actually bind the spren to the gemheart and use it to power the transformation making them fabrials. I believe that the Parshendi were a more advanced race than the humans are now and that they will make fabrials to create shardplate. KR and their spren copied this tech.

Edit 2: I apologize if this seems rude, I am just curious as to how you drew these conclusions

No offence taken

Edited by TamM

• Chaos locked this topic