[Theory] Stormlight is Odium's Investiture

kaellok

Random thought that struck me as my brain is rebelling against being force-fed a steady diet of Anatomy and Physiology 325.  Will update later on, but it's basically this:

Reasons in favor: Voidbringers can hold Stormlight perfectly.  Humans can't.  Gemstones can't.  

Reasons against: I'm pretty sure greatshells evolved before humans arrived, so Stormlight might be of Adonalsium instead (as humans, Honor, and Cultivation arrived before Odium; side question, did humans arrive at the same time as Cultivation and Honor?  Or was it staggered?  Or do we know?).  The Stormfather caused a Highstorm to happen early, suggesting that it's of Honor.  Unless Honor was able to steal it when Odium was bound.

I'll have more to add tomorrow, and make it prettier, but wanted to get initial thoughts down before I forget.  And maybe get some more knowledgeable people to chime in with why I'm wrong :D

I always thought the reasoning Voidbringers may be able to hold stormlight perfectly is because there's actually a finite amount of stormlight in each highstorm. If you have a container that never leaks you can effectively cripple your enemies ability to fight by taking all the stormlight before they can get it. 

There always seems to be some kind of balance so what I thought was that they either can't use Stormlight or their efficiency in using it is greater hampered by their efficiency in storing it. Stormlight also seems to grow plants which may suggest it's needed for more than just surgebinding. 

Stormlight is raw investiture as it manifests in the Physical realm on Roshar. It is of/belongs to no one. Honor set up a regular delivery system before He was Splintered via the Highstorms. Cultivation feeds it to various creatures through gemhearts. Odium's delivery method is unknown, but may not even exist. It would make sense for him to make use of the delivery methods of the Shards he's targeting instead of Investing himself in such a way.

But Stormlight itself is raw investiture; unowned and controlled by whoever can use it.

Edited by Leuthie

I'd like to point out that it may be that the listeners evolved to utilize stormlight, whereas humans after arriving on Roshar were given access to stormlight later on. So the Listener became effecient with it over time whereas the humans ability never changed.

Edited by shadewolf

I don't know if Stormlight is from Odium.  The spren Cryptic and Syl have a hard time even hearing or talking about Odium,  Syl hissed and took off at point after just hearing his name.  So it would surprise me if they then bond humans to let them use his Investiture so freely to fuel their magic.

• Chaos locked this topic