Where are the spren that survived the Recreance?

shawnhargreaves

Pattern describing the Recreance to Shallan in WoR chapter 75:

"Not just one people," Pattern said, solemn. "Many. Spren with minds were less plentiful then, and the majorities of several spren peoples were all bonded. There were very few survivors. The one you call Stormfather lived. Some others. the rest, thousands of us, were killed when the event happened. You call it the Recreance."

(my bolding)

So this was basically a genocide among the spren.  But where are the others that survived?  It's a small number, and my guess is the survivors will be the most powerful spren (like the Stormfather) who are probably now insane or broken in some way.

My first thought on noticing this passage was that the Unmade could be insane survivor spren who were previously bonded with Radiants, and who became "unmade" after having their bond ripped away.  But Yelig-nar is mentioned in one of Dalinar's visions with Nohadon.  Do we know if Nohadon came before or after the Recreance?  (I'm not clear on the sequencing of Rosharan history)

So where are the other spren that survived alongside the Stormfather?   I feel like we've probably seen them already, but am racking my brains to think where  :-)

Syl, perhaps the highspren (if the Skybreakers did not participate in the Recreance), but the survivors might be thinking spren that were not bonded at the time of the Recreance.  They presumably were and are still in the cognitive realm.  Jasnah may have visited them, but I don't know why we would have seen them. 

Edited by hoser

I didn't think Syl was sentient that far back?   Pattern says Spren with minds were far less common at that time.

Syl states in WoK that she remembers having helped people fight before. Pattern was most likely referring to lesser Spren, such as Flamespren, Rotspren etc, not Nahel Spren.

• Chaos locked this topic