Mab and perfect pitch?

Cstryon

The first chapter of Warbreaker, where Siri goes into the kitchen. Mab is humming (wouldn't that be drawing attention to yourself?). Mab is making a stew, a couple times in the scene, Mab taps the side of the pot and listens. The second time she does it it says something like Mab knows how well the stew is doing by the sound. I don't have the exact quote because I have the audio book. So I also don't know the page, maybe someone could help me with that?

Another thing that I think could support this, is there is the alternative version that Brandon wrote where Mab goes with Siri to Halandren (spelling?). Maybe in future warbreaker stories, we'll learn more about Mab?

Well, first of all, she'd need a Breath every week. I'm not sure its possible to hide any breath but your Divine Breath.

However, she has been to Hallandren--where she gave up her Breath, then bought one back and returned. If you read the annotations of Warbreaker you can find out more about it all....

Knowing the Idrians, I highly doubt she could hide having that much breath without being noticed. Just because magic can give perfect pitch to you doesn't mean the normal version goes away. Cooking for a profession probably teaches you a thing or two.

It is possible to mask your breath.. if you reach a high enough level of mastery.. as well as hiding in breaths in awkened objects.. As for a breath per week- holding a large amount you can just draw from existing breaths instead of replenishing weekly.. So theory is plausible- there is def. something about mab- Brandon rarely dulves into characters so eliquently without reason.

Excerpt from the Annotations where Brandon talks about Mab:

Mab the Cook

If it sounds to you like Mab knows a lot about Awakening and Hallandren, then you’ve picked up on something. Mab actually used to live in T’Telir. (She was born in Idris, but ran away during her teens.) During her twenties, she was a courtesan of some repute in the city. She had some fairly high-profile clients—so she was more than just a poor, street-corner prostitute. She fell in love with one of the men, however, and he convinced her to give him her Breath. Then he left her.

As a Drab, she had much more trouble finding work. She’d lost a bit of her sparkle, and whatever she’d used to capture the hearts of men, she’d lost that too. She ended up as a madam, running a much poorer whorehouse, using her old contacts and reputation to get clients.

As soon as she made enough, she bought another Breath and returned to Idris, where she got a job in the king’s kitchens. To this day, she bears a lot of ill will toward the Hallandren upper crust, and Awakeners in particular.

(source)

• Chaos locked this topic