Larkin in crystal (spoilers)

Arin

There is a Larkin in crystal on Elhokar's desk and Sil seems curious about it.  We saw in WoR that Larkin can take stormlight from someone.  It seems odd the Larkin is in a crystal.  Could that crystal be a gem or gemheart?  And could gemhearts be a type of egg.  Seems a lot like an egg on the desk. 

Yeah, there's not really enough to make anything significant about it yet. At this point anything about larkins is just a hint. If you search back through the books for every little goodie then maybe a theory could be developed. Regardless, I will keep this bit in mind.

I think it is more likely a soulcast display for a valuable beastie.  Kind of like animals like crabs and such being mounted in a block of plastic which has been poured in around the item to be displayed.  This way it can be readily viewed and handled without significant risk.

In the Rysn interlude she mentions dead larkin are very valuable.  

So valuable, in fact, a single larkin corpse was the Reshi side of the trade Vistim had arranged. 

Could this be a way of storing/infusing stormlight into a "sphere" outside normal highstorm infusion?

In the Rysn interlude she mentions dead larkin are very valuable.  

So valuable, in fact, a single larkin corpse was the Reshi side of the trade Vistim had arranged. 

Could this be a way of storing/infusing stormlight into a "sphere" outside normal highstorm infusion?

Please clarify, what do you mean by infusing outside normal highstorm infusion?

Gemstones can only be infused during a highstorm. @Aoibheann (you really need an easier username...) is suggesting that larkin, even dead ones, might be able to infuse gemstones with Stormlight even in, for example, broad daylight.

@Argent, Thanks for clarifying what I meant re: larkin.  (I've considered changing my name... but I haven't found the right one just yet.  Coincidentally I used to have ARGENT as a license plate.  I'm not coveting your name though... really. :)

Imagine you need an infused emerald for soulcasting.  You need a huge, infused emerald; large enough you can't get one from the money exchanger.  You have an emerald, but it has no stormlight in it, or not enough to perform the task.  It would be nice to be able to transfer the stormlight from some broams to your giant gem and finish your task.  

This sort of convenience, short of being a surgebinder, would not come cheaply.   The only people with that requirement would have access to abnormally large gems and the technology powered by those gems. 

Larkin seem to be able to suck in stormlight.  The larkin may have no choice about it.  We don't know what happens to the stormlight the larkin ingests.  If it is later transferable, this ability may continue after death.  

The Reshi seem to tend and care for the larkins.  The above, along with Nalan's treatment of his larkin make me think the Reshi have very good reasons for to care who has access to the corpses of their larkin friends.  

Larkin are known for removing storm light, as in the Lift interlude. It's possible that a Larkin corpse could be some kind of superior storm light battery. Or it could strip storm light from gems or enhance effectiveness of fab rials, or well, any number of things.

I thought the same thing re: the "paperweight." Seems like none of the royals know what it is - wonder which volume they'll find out in. Re: the Lift interlude, it brought Chromium to mind and, if that be the case, it wouldn't be a "battery." Maybe the crystal acts as a stasis field. So many details!

• Chaos locked this topic