Yolen was the first?

red032

I get the feeling that Yolen was the "first" planet and the place where Aldonasium were shattered. All the original shardholders were yolish and the humans were originally from there.

This feeling comes this:

1 - On the Ars Arcanun its is made some paralels using Yolish magic system as base. And it is called original system, if my memory serves me right.

2 - The original shardholders weer acquainted to each other. So there had to be a prior civilization where they could interact.

3 - The humans on all planets are a lot alike. It is granted that every shard that invested on their creation did so based on their preferences. But the end result looks like thare was some template to refer to.

4 - All the magic systems have the same underlying 'spiritual physics' that are somewhat customized by each shard influence.

Your thoughts?

We do have WoB that humanity originated on Yolen:

Aethling

Where did humanity originate in the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

The first planet with humans on it was Yolen.

(source)

But yeah I'm definitely of the opinion that Adolnalsium Shattered on Yolen (since I'm reasonably confident that Liar of Partinel, which is Hoid's backstory book, is going to tell that story and it takes place on Yolen).

It seems like Listerners may be native to Roshar which could suggest that while Yolen is the first planet to have humans it might not be the first to have life.

Just because they're native to Roshar doesn't mean they came before the Shards, though. Evidence seems to suggest they have a close connection to the Shards of Roshar, so I would guess not.

Just because they're native to Roshar doesn't mean they came before the Shards, though. Evidence seems to suggest they have a close connection to the Shards of Roshar, so I would guess not.

Not really. We have WoB that they are not of Honor, and not originally of either Cultivation or Odium. So they evolved on their own/were created by Adonalsium, then Cultivation and Honor settled on Roshar, bringing refugees from the Tranquelline Halls. Cultivation then must have fiddled a little with the Listeners, but they went ape when the spren sided with the humans and became the Voidbringers.

Ah yes. I had forgotten that quote. So I guess you can disregard what I just said. However, I still don't think the Listeners preceded life on Yolen.

I'm not so sure about it. The way I view the listerners is as an almost incomplete form of humanity. They require spren for more advanced thinking where as the spren require humans for that very thing. It's almost as if Listerners are what humans could have been if they were derived from the Cognitive realm(Listerners seem to lean more on that side I think) where as Humanity in the books is derived more from the physical.

I don't know how big into evolution Brandon is but I can imagine this being an interesting path. Two sentient races coming from completely different origins at the same time.

We do have WoB that humanity originated on Yolen:

(source)

But yeah I'm definitely of the opinion that Adolnalsium Shattered on Yolen (since I'm reasonably confident that Liar of Partinel, which is Hoid's backstory book, is going to tell that story and it takes place on Yolen).

In Liar it seemed Hoid was not familiar with the civilization there. He seemed to be visiting to learn lightweaving. He may have been from another part of the planet, but he didnt act native. Are we sure he and Adolnalsium are from there?

Khyrindor, on 07 Apr 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

where can I get Liar?

Scroll down on the page and there are two links. The first is rather short but the second link gives a different begining and 6 chapters of the book. Keep in mind this is unpublished and unfinished, therefor can not be considered canon and is subject to change.

enjoy!

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Sample_material

Edited by menacekop

Just because the listeners are not inherently of any one Shard does not mean they weren't created by them.  Humans on Scadrial are part Ruin and part Preservation, but not inherently of either one because of the balance going on there.  The listeners could be a joint creation between two or all three of the Shards on Roshar.

• 2 weeks later...

All of the planets were around before the shattering of Adonalsium and had their current names, the separate Shards merely relocated to the different locations around the Cosmere.

In a WOB BS stated that if a Shard is not taken up by somebody the magic will run wild and 'interesting' things will happen. I've always wondered if thats why the 16 took them up in the first place and scattered them across the Cosmere. Perhaps to 'even out' such vast power.

• Chaos locked this topic