Planets

Quiver

Who named the planets in the cosmere?

I haven't read the Sel books, so I'll discount those, but I don't believe the word Scadrial is used in any of the Mistborn novels. Is that the name of the planet according to the inhabitants, or to the writer of the Ars Arcanum? Same question for Nalthis.

On the other hand, Roshar is commonly referred to as such, and the ardents (at least) know of Braize, unless I'm getting my WoB mixed up. So... is that an indication of anything?

For Scadrial, I recall a WoB that specifically states that this name does not originate on the planet, and is not used by the populace to refer to their planets, and from that I concluded that is must have been named by people who know about other planets and might need a name to refer to that planet amongst their members...

So I thought the worldhoppers made the names.

Odium's_Shard

That raises the question about how Cosmere-aware the people of Yolen were (how did their magic systems work, if at all, with Adonalsium still intact), and whether they at that time knew all of the other planets in their dwarf system (presumably they knew some, so the Shardholders fled there after picking up their Shard of Adonalisium, or the Shard itself gave some kind of knowledge).

A few WoB on this:

First:

THORONDIR

Who names the planets? You've said once that "Scadrial" was the name of the planet as Ruin and Preservation knew it, but where'd they get that name? Do the Shardholders all get together and vote on it or something?

BRANDON SANDERSON

He said thay already had their names and that the all the planets existed before the shardholders got there.

Second:

FIRE ARCADIA

You have said before that all the planets had their names before the arrival of the Shards. Is Roshar the planet's name before the Shards arrived?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

FIRE ARCADIA

How do the Roshar natives know the name of the Cosmere?

BRANDON SANDERSON

RAFO

Third:

E. HYDE
Since we generally don't see inhabitants of your worlds refer to their planets by name, where do the names come from?
BRANDON SANDERSON
From world-hoppers, Shards, and those who know about the cosmere.

• Chaos locked this topic