Hoid is Spiritually Blind

Tempus

Alright, so, in looking up info for something else, I noticed that Hoid calls himself spiritually blind in the Epilogue for Words of Radiance. He also goes on a little rant about expectations, which probably says a lot about his character and intentions.

But for the moment, knowing that the spiritual realm controls things like connections, some types of investiture, and ghosts, and that Hoid is both pre-shattering and incredibly realmatically aware, what could he have meant by that offhand comment?

“A blind man awaited the era of endings,” Wit said, “contemplating the beauty of nature.”

Silence.
“That man is me,” Wit noted. “I’m not physically blind, just spiritually. And that other statement was actually very clever, if you think about it.”

Excerpt From: Brandon Sanderson. “Words of Radiance.”

I might just have forgotten, but when he says "that other statement was actually very clever, if you think about it", presumably referring to A blind man awaited the era of endings, contemplating the beauty of nature, what is the meaning behind this?

Is it in an epigraph or has this prophecy been deciphered as to what it refers to? I'm very curious.

Thanks, Odium's_Shard

To Shallan, he spoke of two blind men, awaiting the end of an era, contemplating the nature of beauty. Now here Hoid is, awaiting the era of endings, contemplating the beauty of nature. He's really proud of his terrible joke.

Anyways, no, I don't think he is. Our resident WoB user will probably drop in with the quote, but Brandon's mentioned that Hoid is using Feruchemy to get where he needs to be, so he definately can do that. I'm pretty sure he's being figurative.

Edited by Observer

His first story had the two blind men contemplating the nature of beauty. His second had one contemplating the beauty of nature.

Get it?

Ahahaha.

Yeah, Hoid basically sets up bad jokes that no one but himself and the audience can hear, then compliments himself on his cleverness. He has slight narcissm issues, maybe.

• 3 weeks later...

His first story had the two blind men contemplating the nature of beauty. His second had one contemplating the beauty of nature.

Get it?

Ahahaha.

Yeah, Hoid basically sets up bad jokes that no one but himself and the audience can hear, then compliments himself on his cleverness. He has slight narcissm issues, maybe.

Hahaha quite clever that!!

He deffo has Feruchemy it's what he uses to help him see the future

He also has World Hopping, Lightweaving, Awakening (Atleast the Second Heightening) 

Im not sure if he has Allomancy in a WOB Brandon said he has used the Bead of Lerasium in a way you 'might not expect' but he put something in his drink when speaking to Shallan's Father in order to 'Influence a certain somebody'

and last but not least cutting his head off does not kill him....he can grow a new one.

I dont know what he does but he can even survive Shardblades "What he does also heals the soul"

Our resident WoB user will probably drop in with the quote.

Not sure if I can call myself "the resident WoB user", but imma drop 'em here for some up-vote farming B) :

Mike Cockrum

Hoid is regularly around when important events take place. How does he know where to go?

Brandon Sanderson

He uses Feruchemy. Part of it that will show up in later books.

<source>

Q: In the last part of the book, Hoid is talking to some stuff, and says "If you think hard, this sentence is really clever." Are there any implications beyond this, or was that him just talking?

A: Go compare to another sentence he used earlier in the book. He is making a pun off of the sentence he used before. It's not as clever as he thinks he is, it's kind of a bad pun.

<source>

And as an added bonus, here are some WoBs that confirms WEZ313's statements:

Q: If Hoid got beheaded, would his body grow a new head?

A: Yes.

<source>

Q: What alloy did Hoid drink?

A: Let's just say he was trying to make certain people act the way they wanted to.

<source>

Q: Is Wit/Hoid an Allomancer?

A: He did steal a bead of Lerasium off of Scadrial. If he were to make use of that bead, certain powers would have been gained

<source>

Q: Has Hoid used his Lerasium Bead for Feruchemy?

A: Hoid got the bead originally because he wanted to become an Allomancer.

<source>

Edited by Aether

This thread got a little derailed discussing Hoid's cleverness in punning against a comment made much earlier in the book.   While interesting, this just is an aside to the REALLY IMPORTANT original point that he refers to himself as spiritually blind.  That's a Realmatically important statement, and not the kind of thing Hoid would say by accident.  I have no idea what it means, but it sure smells of long term significance.

I assume it's that while Hoid has amassed a large deal of Physical Realm power and apparently travels the Cognitive Realm at will, he has yet to weasel his way into the Spiritual Realm directly; this would probably bother someone going around swiping every form of magic he comes across.

Edited by Sydney

• Chaos locked this topic