Stormfather and Honor Blades

Githraine

So this is a question,

(and I appoligize for misspellings/ inaccurate quotes I am an audiobook reader)

Does anyone have a theory why the Stormfather refered to the Honor Blade Dalanar had as an abomination?  It is not a dead spren, but the thing the spren were emulating.

And since the Stormfather flat out told Dalanar it would not form a blade for him, the honorblade would have been a good substitute.

Githraine

We don't know who or how switched the Blades. It's not Hoid though. 

As for the Stormlight, we never see him actively draw it in. It could be that he is in this pre-Ideal state Kaladin was in during most of his bridgeruns, where he can use a little Stormlight without being aware he is doing it. Or it could be that he won some genetic lottery and can heal pretty well.

How is it not? When did it get switched?

Didn't Dalanar use Stormlight to heal at the end of the book?

A Shard blade would not have allowed that.

Kaladin was healing before he ever spoke the First Ideal. Dalinar's been bonded to the Stormfather for quite a while (probably ever since he started receiving visions, in fact - hence his glowing armor trick in TWOK).

So I clearly missed something.

Why is it we believe it was a Shard Blade and not the Honor Blade?

It screamed when Dalinar held it. Only Shardblades scream, because they're dead spren. Honorblades do not scream when held, so Dalinar could not have had an Honorblade. Also: the Blade that Dalinar had does not have the same description as the one Taln had at the end of TWOK.

Edited by Moogle

They looked different. Dalinar has to spend time bonding his (while we have WoB that people don't bond with Honorblades). But most importantly, when Dalinar speaks the First and Second Ideals, he hears the Blade (the dead spren) screaming - which can't happen with Honorblades, because they are not "made of" spren. Oh, and the Stormfather refers to the Blade Dalinar has in the end as "monstrosity," I believe.

EDIT: go away, Moogle, I was spreading knowledge here!

Edited by Argent

• Chaos locked this topic