Can Spren kill when they arent shardblades?

There have to be limitations. From the little we've seen, it looks like the spren has to physical touch its Surgebinder in order to solidify in a given shape (e.g. Kaladin cannot have Syl turn into a dagger, then throw that dagger and have it transform itself into a spear). Distance has to be another thing that factors in - back in The Way of Kings when Syl flew away to find the... blackbane? Kaladin had thrown away, she said she had almost lost herself, presumably because the Nahel bond was "stretched thin." 

This is not answering the question, however. Probably because there is no answer at this point. Though I am going to guess spren need their human's... intent in order to kill. 

There have to be limitations. From the little we've seen, it looks like the spren has to physical touch its Surgebinder in order to solidify in a given shape (e.g. Kaladin cannot have Syl turn into a dagger, then throw that dagger and have it transform itself into a spear). Distance has to be another thing that factors in - back in The Way of Kings when Syl flew away to find the... blackbane? Kaladin had thrown away, she said she had almost lost herself, presumably because the Nahel bond was "stretched thin." 

This is not answering the question, however. Probably because there is no answer at this point. Though I am going to guess spren need their human's... intent in order to kill. 

Hasn't Adolin learned how to throw his shardblade? or did i misread completely that chapter

Adolin has a dead Shardblade and can throw it as a sword that remains a sword. Argent is suggesting it would not be possible to throw a dagger and have it become a sword.

Personally, I suspect there's probably some size limitation. Probably you couldn't make a weapon terribly much larger than the current standard Shardblade

Well, we know that Syl can influence the world in non-trivial ways, relatively far away from Kaladin without Kaladin's knowledge or approval:

“You were beaten by those soldiers,” she said, seeming to grow smaller. “I’ve gotten back at them. I made one of them trip three times today.” She looked concerned.

While this is a far cry from autonomously stabbing someone in Shardblade form, from a technical perspective it seems like the answer to the question should be 'yes' (e.g. 'tripping' someone while climbing down a chasm).

Hm, so what do we have - Spren can read minds - or at least, intent, or maybe only intent directed at them, and shift accordingly.  Shardblades can be thrown, lended and summoned back at will. So it seems pretty obvious that a spren dagger, at least, can be thrown and resummoned.

We have also seen spren manifest as several parts (falling leaves). Now the question is - can those parts separate? If they can, we get a Sprenbow :) Both the bow and the arrow (or several arrows if possible) -made from same  spren, with arrow puffing into mist after it hits and returning to Radiant's hand. Presumably, with proper mental discipline, it can be done, and shoot better than other bows, too (straight through rock, even, maybe with guided arrows)

That assumes that a spren cannot materialize into blade without contact with surgebinder (but can maintain form after).

Is a spren can, however, the point is moot - she/he can just get behind a person and become a blade through him :) Fun.

• Chaos locked this topic