Aon DoR theroy

garlick

I was just reading through a post and was reminded about the fact that the Aon Dor weakens the farther the user is from Elantris. I think this has to do with the glyphs representing the land. It would be incredibly hard but if a elantrian was able to make new glyphs using the local land as a base would they be able to still access the Dor. If thats the case that could bring interesting ideas to the cosmere. We know we have an elantrian on Roshar and no doubt hell make his way to other shard worlds. So if this works he could in theroy use the continent  of Roshar as a base and use the dor there. Also even on Sel be able to use a stronger dor in other parts of the world. Just a random idea and thought I would throw it out there and see what you guys think.

Unlikely. The Shaod only affects people from two specific cities. Word of Brandon says that forging is also specific to people born in a certain location. As magic on Sel seems to be based on Form, and location is the form of the planet, it seems likely that the AonDoR will not be able to represent any alternative location and function. It might be possible to power an Aon with investiture other than that provided by the location of Elantris, though.

right and thats where elantris is located which is shaped like a Aon glyph and gives that people the ability to to go through the shaod. To blow it up for an example would to be create another city similar to Elantris in another country on sel, sorry I can't remember their names. But using their land as a base for glyphs. It seems the magic on sel is glyph based, the monks had them imprinted on their bones, the soul engraving was a series of stamps. If an elantrian went to that city and learned their glyph system  they could use their power. That would be large scale. On a smaller scale would be creating it yourself on a cosmere planet to access the dor elsewhere. We've seen vasher on roshar and WoB says he gets somthing there alot easier then he does at home...Breaths, he uses stormlight to feed his need for breaths. Also we've seen a certain badass sword that will be using stormlight in the near future. So using a foreign power to fuel your own abilities isn't outside the relm of possibility but due to the nature of the Aon Dor it would be very difficult to pull off but i think thats how it COULD be done. 

I don't think that's how it would work. The Aon is the focus, that draws power from the location. The ability to access that locational power is part of the sDNA of the locals, and the power decreases the further you get from the location. Drawing an Aon of another place would change the focus, but not the sDNA that ties the focus to the power source. It seems more likely that for say, an Elantrian on Roshar, some method would need to be found to infuse stormlight into their Aon.

INTERVIEW: Feb 16th, 2013

AMOL Signing Report - Viper (Paraphrased)

VIPER

Aons look like Arelon; soulstamps look like MaiPon. Aons get weaker when you get further from Arelon, right? That's not just cause Elantris acts like a focus?

BRANDON SANDERSON

That's right, it's based on distance. That's why there are no stamped objects in Elantris.

VIPER

So do soulstamps get weaker further from MaiPon? If you left Sel via Shadesmar and went to another planet, would the soulstamp stop working?

BRANDON SANDERSON

That's correct.

VIPER

Could soulstamps be carved that used Arelon as a base form instead of MaiPon?

BRANDON SANDERSON

That's very interesting, isn't it?

Here's the quote.

• Chaos locked this topic