what is the Stormlight "archive"?

First time post. I'm sure this was addressed between book 1 and book 2, but since we now have book 2 do we have further clues as to this archive?

I assumed it was the wealth of source info Jasnah and Shallon sought out in Urithru, but given the end of book 2 it seems to easy.

Is it just the titles of the info the reader gets from the novels themselves, or is it an in world place?

Any thoughts?

It's possible you are looking too much into it.

The definition of archive is:

Usually, archives. documents or records relating to the activities, business dealings, etc., of a person, family, corporation, association, community, or nation.

I think it is just the story of Roshar during this particular time period. Considering how much was periodically lost during Desolations, this is just the record of what happened during this one.

I think the name "The Stormlight Archive" has to do with the fact that the names of the novels are also the names of in-world books.  So they are a collection of books (an archive) pertaining to Roshar (which has stormlight).

It would be very interesting if the title meant it was a collection by Nazh or some other worldhopper as they chronicled world events. They'd have kept safe a few important books from Roshar that were going to be lost to the Final Desolation as Roshar gets exploded or something and mankind moves from Roshar to Damnation.

I am not sure if there will be an actual in world reference to it but Weiry's answer is correct. Brandon touched on that a little at the Houston signing when he discussed his reasons for changing the title of the second book from The Book of Endless Pages to Words of Radiance (obvious reasons).

His original intent was for each of the books to be titled after an in world book such as the first two have been so far. That's where he got the idea for calling it an archive.

I think the name Archive has more to do with how Brandon was going to name all the books.  His initial idea was to name each book after an in world book.  A collection of books can be seen as an archive.  So the collections of these books would be the archive.  So Stormlight Archive is the telling of the planet filled with stormlight.

• Chaos locked this topic