Reading Burnout

Draginon

So has anyone here ever gotten reader burnout?

I've gotten it a few times before but just recently had one for a couple weeks that I'm getting over after finishing reading WOR and had a little trouble getting into Firefight. I tend to get bad burnout if I read stuff from the same author in a row without a break and I haven't taken any real breaks from Sanderson since I started his stuff. I did manage not to do that with WOT by taking breaks at different intervals by reading a different book. I had hoped with Brandon switching genres so much it would the same but it definitely didn't. With me being so close to finally catching up I'm not sure if I should take a break or not.

What do you do if you hit the burnout? What I usually do when I get into this spot is do something else like play a game, watch some unwatched videos and even watch some YouTube.

Firefight was kinda...*looks around for ambushing Reckoners fans* bad. Particularly coming off of reading Words of Radiance. 

I tend to take a break from the book causing me trouble. Sometimes, it just is not its time, yet. You can try reading something else that seems more exciting or what you want right now. Sometimes, short stories help me a lot, too. 

@TheOrlionThatComesBefore I have to agree on Firefight so far. About halfway and it's just average. I probably wouldn't have read this right after WOR but I've already committed to reading Sanderson's books in published order (barring the Cosmere short stories which I'm reading in the collection but will read those by published order and not the order inside) and I'm almost to the end of that (W&W2 and 3, Elantris 2.0, Dark Talent, Calamity, AU and Oathbringer) so I might as well drudge through this one.

Also experienced a bad one with the Eragon series. I had liked the first two well enough but something about the third book really wasn't gelling with me, and I was about halfway through it by that point, and put it down for a good year before being able to finish. I think what helped there was that I had finished reading a King novel I didn't really like and needed something 'fun'. Luckily I didn't experience burnout during the last book but Eragon was really trying my patience by that point that I wanted to read more about the other characters than the bloody hero of the story (I didn't even feel that way about Rand so that's saying something)

@mattig89ch I know how hard that must be, especially when it's a long series that's still going.

• Chaos locked this topic