Theory: Gavilar was Gay

Quazar87

This is my reading of why Navani liked, but didn't love, Gavilar. From what we've seen he was a good hearted man determined to forge the Alethi into a kingdom that would resist the desolation. But he "wasn't who people thought he was". Maybe Navani knew more of the Sons of Honor than she has let on, but I have a hunch that Gavilar wasn't straight. He had a very close relationship with the conspicuously single Amaram.

Possibly I guess. 

I think she would be more likely to make that comment if she knew how involved he was in plots to manipulate Cosmere-wide events. He seems to be the driving force behind everyone's actions. Bringing back the Voidbringers? Yeah, that's a bigger surprise than sexual orientation. 

I doubt it. I Mean if he were gay Navani would be more likely to be comfortable around him. His strangeness seems to come more from trying to bring the Vorin church to power. Homosexuality isn't something Brandon seems to inject into his work much if at all. I can't think of a single character I've ever even suspected... Likely because his societies tend to be Theocratic(not to thei in story benefit) which tends to stifle homosexuality. I mean most Rosharans would think I was incredibly effeminite just for being able to create this post.

If I recall correctly Gavilar was also pretty aggressive in courting Navani, giving Dalinar a run for his money - and winning her in the end (though that was partially Dalinar's fault). This doesn't strike me as the actions of a homosexual man who puts a front for people to see, it seems far too (pro)active.

This is my reading of why Navani liked, but didn't love, Gavilar. From what we've seen he was a good hearted man determined to forge the Alethi into a kingdom that would resist the desolation. But he "wasn't who people thought he was". Maybe Navani knew more of the Sons of Honor than she has let on, but I have a hunch that Gavilar wasn't straight. He had a very close relationship with the conspicuously single Amaram.

I'd disagree with the idea that he was good-hearted. He was trying to return the gods and cause an unnecessary Desolation in the first place in order to, judged by what Amaram believes, restore the dominance of the Vorin Church. Basically murdering hundreds of thousands of people in an attempt to restore a church that was corrupt. Sounds kind of like an cremhole to me, but I admit we don't know the full story yet.

@Aminar

In Alloy of Law Ranette, who gives Wax Vindicator is confirmed as a lesbian.

I don't have a problem with Galivar being gay, I just don't think it matters whether or not he was. It's not impossible, just unlikely I think, given his actions.

Edited by kaos

Thanks. I didn't know that, and it fits with what I said about theocracies. As his adult works get more modern we'll likely see a more varied spectrum of sexualities. Now I'm hoping Ranette steals Wax's betrothed. Because that would be awesome.

Drehy the bridgeman is gay, according to WoB. It's just never come up in the story because it hasn't been important.

Navani liked Gavilar. If she knew he was intent on bringing back the Voidbringers, then she wouldn't say that. It has to have been something not horrible but also something that isolated them from each other. I don't know; I still think it's more likely than her knowing about his Sons of Honor activity.

I just think he wasn't faithful, Navani once said "Gavilar is dead, i was never unfaithful while he lived. Though the Stormfather knows i had ample reason"

I just think it was an unhappy mariage i also think she knows a little of what he was up to. I think in the upcoming books we will find out he wasn't the man he pretended to be...

As we all know he and Amaram were up to something, i think the reason why he didn't tell Dalinar about his plans was because even back in the glory days when the Blackthorn was a blood thirsty warmonger he still had a strong sense of honor and Gavilar wouldn't tell him of his plans because Lil Bro would have kicked his chull and set him straight.

Sorry... what is awesome about breaking up relationships and encouraging infidelity?

Mistborn Spoilers.

The fact his fiance is a terrible person to Marry. I mean technically infidelity isn't even against the rules of their marriage. She included a clause for it in their relationship contract.

Mistborn Spoilers.

The fact his fiance is a terrible person to Marry. I mean technically infidelity isn't even against the rules of their marriage. She included a clause for it in their relationship contract.

possibly one of the saddest things I have yet seen in the mistborn saga, that wedding document... (Ok so not sad as much as funny... but still) 

I just think he wasn't faithful, Navani once said "Gavilar is dead, i was never unfaithful while he lived. Though the Stormfather knows i had ample reason"

I just think it was an unhappy mariage i also think she knows a little of what he was up to. I think in the upcoming books we will find out he wasn't the man he pretended to be...

As we all know he and Amaram were up to something, i think the reason why he didn't tell Dalinar about his plans was because even back in the glory days when the Blackthorn was a blood thirsty warmonger he still had a strong sense of honor and Gavilar wouldn't tell him of his plans because Lil Bro would have kicked his chull and set him straight.

Or he decided to stop banging his wife once he had a male heir. Maybe he was unfaithful... with dudes. I'm just saying that it's a possibility.

Mistborn Spoilers.

To be completely honest I like Steris and Wax's relationship (what little of it we see) way more than most fictional relationships. There are piles of true love stories and love overcoming crap. This is one of the very few instances where two people are marrying for convenience, know it, and are completely okay with that. They aren't antagonistic, they both benefit, and even if they don't love each other they at least like each other enough that there isn't going to be some big blow-up or comeuppance for either of them because neither of them are evil or portrayed that way in the story.  Personally I really want to see this rather unique relationship develop, rather than another love story. 

Or he decided to stop banging his wife once he had a male heir. Maybe he was unfaithful... with dudes. I'm just saying that it's a possibility.

Yeah, there's nothing specifically barring it. I'm just wondering A. what it would bring to the story at this point. (besides representation, which is good, but could also be better served with other still living characters) and B. Why would it matter. (It wouldn't, besides giving a reason for Navani to not be sad over Galivar's death, which could be an important future plot point, I don't know.)

Edited by kaos

A gay King with a wife (who loved him) and two children.... I'm not seeing this. Also I belive Brandon is mormon. I have yet to see anything sexual or straight or gay in any of Brandons works. Which is why he is so successful. I think game of thrones series is disgusting and it makes the series in unreadable. I think that series would have sold more copies if it was cleaner.

A gay King with a wife (who loved him) and two children.... I'm not seeing this. Also I belive Brandon is mormon. I have yet to see anything sexual or straight or gay in any of Brandons works. Which is why he is so successful. I think game of thrones series is disgusting and it makes the series in unreadable. I think that series would have sold more copies if it was cleaner.

Slight derailment: Here are George R.R. Martin's words regarding the 'sexual grossness' people seem to have a problem with in his series:

“I can describe an axe entering a human skull in great explicit detail and no one will blink twice at it. I provide a similar description, just as detailed, of a penis entering a vagina, and I get letters about it and people swearing off. To my mind this is kind of frustrating, it’s madness. Ultimately, in the history of [the] world, penises entering vaginas have given a lot of people a lot of pleasure; axes entering skulls, well, not so much.”

But that's beside the point of the thread.

Drehy is a confirmed WoB homosexual, and like people are saying above, Ranette is a confirmed lesbian. And what does it matter? Their sexual orientation has had nothing to do with their actions, so far that we could tell.

And with Gavilar being gay, himself? I'm not saying that it'd be wrong for him to have been one, I'm just not seeing any evidence for that. At all. It might be fun to theorize, but I just don't see it.

• Chaos locked this topic