Theory: dubble eye, powers, spren, attributes and Symmetry

Djerf

This idea came to me around the time for the steelhunt and it still makes sense, to me, so I've decided write it down and ”publish” it. Sadly the original document that I created back seems to have gone into hiding so I had to recreate the whole thing from scratch.

The gist of it is that the powers an order of the Knight Radiants get are dependent upon the relative composition of the bonded spren and it assumes that the Nahel spren are a combination of both Cultivation © and Honor (H).

The Spren

A spren have two pieces of both H and C that are combined into two pieces that become the intent of the spren, it would go like this: 2H+2C---> ( HC+CH ), where H=/=H in size.
Each spren now have two intents, one of Honor influenced by Cultivation and vice verse.
It's worth noting that while both intents might be skewed toward Honor one of them will likely be more of Honor than the other. (There are special cases that I'm going to cover later on).
These intents are closely aligned with the Divine attributes.

The Divine Attributes

If you look in the Ars Arcanum you will find a list with a lot of stuff and the divine attributes that is connected to each order or rather it's herald but that is the same difference.
Looking at it we notice that the attributes progress from a high amount of Honor to a lower amount and then up again in a way that matches to the orders of Knights.
So the divine attributes of the knights = the intents of the bonded spren.
Now if total amount Honor > total amount Cultivation, the honorable intent will be the the larger piece (HC>CH) and thus it will be more defining.
Knigths closer to Honor will have a primary attribute that is HC and a secondary that is CH, and of course vice verse =).

This is how I classified the intents intents. (hidden for size)

Winderrunner
Protecting            Leading
Honor                  Cultivation
Gravity                 Adhesion

Skybreaker
Just                       Confident
Honor                    Cultivation
Division                 Gravity

Dustbringer
Brave                    Obedient
Cultivation             Honor
Friction                  Division

Edgedancer
Loving                   Healing
Cultivation             Honor
Progression          Friction

Truthwatcher
Learned                Giving
Cultivation            Honor
Illumination           Progression

Lightweaver
Creative               Honest
Cultivation            Honor
Illumination          Transformation

Elsecaller
Wise                       Careful
Cultivation               Honor
Transformation      Transportation

Willshaper
Resolute                  Builder
Honor                      Cultivation
Transportation         Cohesion

Stoneward
Dependable             Resourceful
Honor                      Cultivation
Cohesion                 Tension

Bondsmith
Pious                      Guiding
Honor                     Cultivation
Tension                  Adhesion

Now my original document had detailed discussions and arguments for why I gave each attribute the classification I did, since I was working it out for myself at the time trying to find the pattern. But I'm NOT going to recreate the entire thing!

Did you notice that I did something funny at the orders 5 (Truthwatchers) and 10 (Bondsmiths)? That's right, the pattern changed! Don't worry, I'll get to that. Full speed ahead!

The Powers

Each Nahel bond gives access to two surges that overlap with it's neighbors, therefore it's not to far a lead to assume that the access to each surge comes from a distinct range of intent, take adhesion for example could be 90-99% Honor and the rest Cultivation or some such, the exact values isn't important.
By being larger, the primary intent will grant more power and this translates to two powers from the surge it access.

The Dubble Eye

I'm gonna go ahead and use the Radiant Chart that Fifth made.
Hidden for size

n6qrtl.jpg

If you look really really close you will see that both Truthwatcher and Bondsmiths are placed kinda funny in the chart, they are deviant. What we rely take away from this is that both orders are odd and different.

Symetri

The surges. Each surge grants a total of 3 powers.
The orders . Each order have access to 3 powers.
This is straight out symmetrical, yes, but it is boring and it doesn't take into consideration that two orders are not placed in the circle with the others, neither does it take into account how I classified the intents.
If we disregard the two deviant orders for the time being, we get that both Illumination and Progression gives two powers while Tension and Adhesion gives one power each, so no matter how we twist this, the pattern will still break. From here we can take a few paths.

1. We can give the orders 3 powers each and be done with it, this however will leave one surge with 4 powers and one with 2 powers and there's nothing in the chart that indicates that two surges are odd. I don't like it.

2. We can give each surge 3 powers, leaving Bondsmiths with 4 powers and Truthwatchers with two, this is actually quite decent. However, looking at the chart once more we see that the surges Tension and Adhesion as well as Progression and Illumination are placed in a way that potentially breaks the pattern (paint a round shape thru the surges and it'll be a oval).

3. We can give Truthwatchers 4 powers (giving those surges 4 powers each) and Bondsmiths 2 powers (giving those surges 2 powers each), breaking both patterns at the same time in places that are indicated in the chart. 

I'm leaning towards the third option, this however leaves us with one problem. Our Bondsmith, bonded to the stormfather, only have 2 powers one of which (Adhesion) is kinda underwhelming from what we've seen so far. I'm willing to believe that this will be offset by an awesome ” extra ability” kinda like Shallans Memory, because of that one epigraph that almost mentions it in WoR.

For bonus points, draw a line from top to bottom on the chart, splitting the orders 5 and 10, and fold it on that line. The amount of power-lines between orders and surges remain the same, for example,
Winderrunners and Stonewards are on the same spot and Cohesion and Gravity are on the same spot
and each of those surges give two powers the their respective order. Symmetry!

P.S
I had to remake the whole thing when i noticed that these two tables don't match table one & two, it still fits but in another way, are one of them more or less canon?

• Chaos locked this topic