Shardplate and Enslaved Spren

Quazar87

According to Hoid in the Ars Arcanum: "I am more and more convinced that the creation of these devices [fabrials] requires forced enslavement of transformative cognitive entities, known as “spren” to the local communities."

Now we know that touching Shardplate does not cause the Nahel bonded to hear screaming, so they aren't dead spren.  We also know that the ancients, at least the Radiants, had fabrials of some kind.  The Oathgates operate like fabrials and Nale used the KR Regrowth fabrial on Szeth.  Shardplate has gemstones in it that must be "fed" stormlight to repair it.  They seem to operate the same way.

But would spren, particularly honorspren, be ok with imprisoning their compatriots?  Do you guys think there is a major difference between the "fabrials" of old and the modern fabrials?  Something to ponder.

I think the Shardplate is a further advancement of the Ideals. We know the Radiants could summon and unsummon them they way the did the Blades. I just don't really see the Radiants shitting themselves during the Desolations :-)

I disagree. Shardplate has shown itself to be very different from shardblades - blades do not seem to need stormlight to function, unlike plate.

If anything, the closest thing Plate reminds me of is surgebinding. You invest stormlight and gain an effect - in this case protection. The more stormlight you pump into it, the longer it lasts.

Chasmfiends also seem to grow a type of plate that is powered by their bond with what may be Cultivation's spren and a gemheart - the gem heart in particular seems like it cpuld be a key component in Plate, but I'm pulling that out out of my chull and have no real evidence for it.

The point of this thread is that fabrials use enslaved spren, or at least are created using enslaved spren, and how that relates to the nature of Shardplate.

EDIT: Also that thread is in the main Stormlight forum and thus should be thoroughly spoiler tagged.  This forum allows us to ignore that.

Edited by Quazar87

Just because its a Fabrial doesnt mean that it cannot be one that can be summoned/dismissed at all. 

I think with the right amount of investiture that you could probably have say a bracelet and then use that as the basis for growing your plate around you. Think about it... gems are used to power and grow new sections of the plate in the modern times. But what if that is merely an inadequate reproduction of what they've seen the Radiants do?

What if they can literally grow/fix it by using their stormlight on it, and then once it is complete having a lot of that stormlight available for them to pull back at a later time should they need to, or further infuse should they start taking damage that needs repaired.

In a sense it would be part of a repository/battery and part protection against harm, both physical and stormlight theft. I do wonder whether if a Radiant in full plate breathed out whether their plate would retain the expelled stormlight as well. If so then you essentially have a self sustaining battery. We've seen that both Kaladin and Shallan can pull back stormlight they have used so even if there are diminishing returns it would still make having plate incredibly efficient as opposed to walking around bare.

The point of this thread is that fabrials use enslaved spren, or at least are created using enslaved spren, and how that relates to the nature of Shardplate.

EDIT: Also that thread is in the main Stormlight forum and thus should be thoroughly spoiler tagged.  This forum allows us to ignore that.

Oh, hmm, I hadn't noticed that actually...

Refer to my replies there for content.

• Chaos locked this topic