So just who was Shallan's mother?

Chlehrma

Her mother had red hair which is associated with Horneater/mixed ancestry.  Adolin was also quite smitten with Shallan's hair color because of how rare it was, if there were redheads in the Kholin family it's unlikely he would have found it so novel.

Who she is is still a great question though.  Jasnah knew of her and she recognized what Shallan was at a very early age. She could of been from a distant branch of the Kholin family, which is why Jasnah agreed to Shallan's petition for wardship and another reason why she agreed to send them money and help them out.

Could her mother have been a Skybreaker? The one order of Radiant that didn't Recrease (is that the correct form of that word?). They may believe as it seems some Heralds believe that an increase in surgebinders can bring a Desolation. I can think of no other reason for anyone to try and kill someone that can surgebind, unless they know about the desolations, how the spren bond works, and believe that it may cause voidbringers appearance.

This is probably a stretch, but is it possible that her mother was part of an organization similar to Teft's parents? Maybe she recognized what Shallan was becoming. In order to "break" her so that she'd continue to grow into a Radiant, maybe she threatened to kill her. We know that the Enivisioners were willing to kill people in order to produce that "break."

It's quite possible that her mother attacking her is what broke Shallan. But in her fear she murdered her mother. Also, it's unclear who killed the man (since he had bleeding wounds). Her father may have been the one to kill him.

I think she was definitely part of one of the secret societies.  Her goal was to prevent radiants from coming.  That suggests the skybreakers.  But, I don't think Nalan's current skybreakers are KR.  We have not seen any evidence of them surgebinding.  Nalan has his shadow thing going on, buthow division and gravity would play into that, I don't know.  And that is only if Nalan has his Honorblade, which I am uncertain about that.  

As to Shallan, it seems that she was fairly progressed since Pattern formed into a shardblade so long ago.  She also had greater range of ability with her lightweaving since was incorporating sound before her mother's death according to Pattern.  Seems to me that she had previously reached at least level 3 (i.e., where Kaladin currently is).

I think she was definitely part of one of the secret societies.  Her goal was to prevent radiants from coming.  That suggests the skybreakers.  But, I don't think Nalan's current skybreakers are KR.  We have not seen any evidence of them surgebinding.  Nalan has his shadow thing going on, buthow division and gravity would play into that, I don't know.  And that is only if Nalan has his Honorblade, which I am uncertain about that. 

Nalan is probably using a Lightweaving fabrial to acccomplish his shadows trick. Shallan uses the exact same trick with Taln (covering herself in darkness).

As to the Skybreakers, Taravangian learns that Shallan is a Surgebinder, and immediately suspects Jasnah and then Helaran of teaching her. I think the evidence points towards the Skybreakers knowing a lot about Surgebinding, even if they can't do it themselves. Helaran's Shardblade had a gemstone set into it (strong evidence against it being a live spren), though the Blade could itself by a Skybreaker's sword. Flames and ripples of water brings to mind the impression of smoke to me.

Something formed in Helaran’s hand, a line of mist that coalesced into silvery steel. A Blade some six feet long, curved and thick, with the side that wasn’t sharp rising into a shape like burning flames or perhaps ripples of water. It had a gemstone set at the pommel, and as light reflected off the metal, the ridges seemed to move.

And of course, it's difficult to say if it's not a live spren. The Skybreakers have smokestone as a gem. How does something glow black? It seems to me that the Skybreakers would be rather un-flashy, though they might also just have their stuff glow pure white, which is quite classy. Also, Helaran never explicitly says that the Skybreakers gave him the sword.

Edited by Moogle

And of course, it's difficult to say if it's not a live spren. The Skybreakers have smokestone as a gem. How does something glow black? It seems to me that the Skybreakers would be rather un-flashy, though they might also just have their stuff glow pure white, which is quite classy. Also, Helaran never explicitly says that the Skybreakers gave him the sword.

But would Amaram be able to wield Helaran's shards if it had been a live spren? Remember, Helaran was the shardbearer that Kal killed, which means that Amaram ended up with the shards. I was under the impression that the KR's act of breaking their oaths was what caused the spren to "die" and stay as shardblades. A live spren would presumably just leave when its surgebinder dies.

Perhaps that's why radiant end up killing their spren. A spren can be fixed in place in place by being measured. Does bonding with someone also fix the spren in their last position when they die?

Perhaps normally for deaths fellow radiants would recover the shards and release them. It's also why radiants will inherently kill their spren. They will die and so will the spren they are bonded too. Another Radiant can revive the spren but you may not be able to it yourself. It's possible that full radiants cannot release the bond to their spren ever.

• Chaos locked this topic