the Heralds, their status, motives and locations

grinachu

There is another thread that sought to identify the hidden Heralds in WOR, but I thought we needed a new thread to discuss the Heralds more generally with the information we have from the book itself.

Ever since the prelude of the Way of Kings I've been fascinated by the fact that these quasi-divine immortal men and women are running around Roshar, having abandoned their swords and presumably their powers. I've wondered at their character arcs, their motives, their locations, and whether they are still acting in concert or opposing each other. I've wondered at their representation in Vorinism and the incongruity of Rosharians attributing divine attributes and essences, even picking up the paths of the orders of Knight Radiant from the Heralds who headed each order.

Here's my theory. Now that the Knights Radiant are being refounded, and the Desolations have come, we will see at least one Herald pick up their Honorblade and return to the protection of mankind.

Edited by grinachu

Here's my theory. Now that the Knights Radiant are being refounded, and the Desolations have come, we will see at least one Herald pick up their Honorblade and return to the protection of mankind.

Taravangian does mention there's only seven Honorblades in Shinovar (before telling Szeth one went missing). One might have already taken it back. I'm putting my money on Nalan.

Anyways, quick list of potential Heralds:

• Drunk beggar in the prologue to Way of Kings. One of the male Heralds, likely drowning their guilt away. Jezrien I'd guess.
  • Baxil's mistress, likely Shallash, is destroying art of herself across Roshar. Another way of dealing with the guilt I imagine.
  • Darkness, Nalan, is killing Surgebinders to prevent another Desolation. He's also apparently founded a secret society called the Skybreakers, after his Radiant Order. It's unknown as to whether or not they're actually Radiants, but doubtful.
  • Taln. He's currently insane, though you can expect that to fix itself at some point. I imagine his goals are to protect humanity from the Desolation?
  • Nalan's friend during the prologue to WoR, who seems to be nervous and squeaky. I'd guess he's Kalak. He's worried about "Ash" (Shallash?).

Ash was pretty much confirmed to be a nickname for Shalash - I will need to find the exact quote, but I remember somebody used the two interchangeably somewhere. Also, a friend of point pointed out that maybe Shalash is not destroying art of herself because of guilt - maybe she is going it to make sure nobody recognizes her. Though why she has waited so long to go on her little quest is beyond me...

When I read about the woman ghostblood who wears a mask I immediately thought she was a herald. I even thought she was Shalash, but I don't think the mistress in the WoK interlude wore a mask.

I would have assumed a Herald would be more familiar with Knight Radiant abilities, maybe even able to spot Pattern and Shallan's nature as a Lightweaver than the masked woman was.

The female Heralds, Shallash apart, have been kind of MIA.

It's interesting that the depiction of Nalan in Way of Kings is so different from the actual Herald. That does lead me to doubt whether Shallash's motive in seeking to destroy all the paintings that feature her is actually anonymity.

(http://brandonsanderson.com/images/wok/tWoK_EPHEMERA-4_RELIEF-webres.jpg)

Why is Jezrien known as the Stormfather when the Stormfather is actually the spren of the Almighty?

Guest Edonidd

I haven't done much speculation yet, mostly because I have issues with false flags and red herrings from Cosmere "Easter Eggs" 

But Sveth died.  There is no question about that.  And "Darkness" stated that he used regrowth to bring him back...

But Nalan and the skybreakers shouldn't have access to regrowth, right?  They/he are destruction and gravity?

With 9 honorblades left by the living heralds, and Szeth had one, and apparently Sanderson confirmed that one herald went back for his own blade.  Plus Sveth says "one of the other 7?" confirming that his people did have those other 7 blades accounted for.  So "Darkness" couldn't be using one of those.  Meaning whoever his associate is, he must be one of the two that have Regrowth... Right?  Does that still fit for Kalak?  I honestly never remember all of the stuff and have to look it up everytime.

Or it could be a fabrial.

Yup.

He held one hand behind his back, while his other hand tucked something away into his coat

pocket. A fabrial of some sort? Glowing brightly?

So he used one of the Fabrials first seen in one of Dalinars visions in TWoK, that offers regrowth. The Heralds may not have natural surgebinding, but do have that "ancient lost technology" thing going for them. Remember, before the establishment of the KR, they were the keepers of the flame of knowledge as one of their tasks when preparing against a desolation.

With 9 honorblades left by the living heralds, and Szeth had one, and apparently Sanderson confirmed that one herald went back for his own blade.  Plus Sveth says "one of the other 7?" confirming that his people did have those other 7 blades accounted for. 

That Herald could be Kalak, fwiw. Kalak has been a POV character before, and knowing how well plotted out Brandon's books are, Kalak may come back. Ishi is consistently provided with the scholar/ guiding attributes which is why I think he would be a bad fit for the mysterious Herald in conversation with Nalan who is seeking re-assurance.

I think the post in the other thread about the Heralds doing the opposite of their Heraldic powers is insightful. I think we can actually say the more the Heralds betray their divine duties, the worse their condition gets. Because Jezrien was responsible for the abandonment and the lie about the Final Desolation, he is the worst off. This is why Nalan doesn't kill Lift after she is pardoned- he will suffer a backlash. 

There was a theory I read somewhere that Niter, the head of the Cobalt Guard, was Jezrien. Their features were described very similarly (short black beard being most prominent). Brandon spent, what you might say was, an unnecessary amount of time describing various members of the Cobalt Guard in detail in the first book. I think it fits that it was to cover up for the description of Niter. If he had just described Niter then it would have stood out significantly more than if he was just one of many who were described in the book.

Now, Zahel mentioned that Niter died in the tower assault, but if I'm not mistaken, he was the one that Kaladin told to go back across the bridge with Adolin when he went to go get Dalinar. I think it's entirely possible that he just disappeared so as not to have to interact with Kaladin since he knew he was becoming a Windrunner.

That one poked me in the ribs as well. Unfortunately, since this is all we have from her, all we can do is put her on the radar. Support for her being a Herald is even less than for Jezrien / drunk madman.

That one poked me in the ribs as well. Unfortunately, since this is all we have from her, all we can do is put her on the radar. Support for her being a Herald is even less than for Jezrien / drunk madman.

It's good to know I'm not the only one that paused at that as well.

We have NOTHING on Vev, Battar and Chach. Not even wild theories.

There were even some about Ishar (as being the drunk guy most ppl think Jezrien is), Palah in the Palaneum, Kalak the guy with Nalan, but ZERO about Vev, Battar and Chach.

Edited by marianmi

I saw something about Vev maybe being Dova (the head nurse?) in Taravangian's secret Death Rattle milking factory. But nothing on Battar or Chach.

I think Ishar/Ishi is the one with all the ideas - he came up with the idea of Oaths for all the Orders and he came up with the idea of abandoning the Oathpact. I would therefore expect him to continue to be a major player still...

• Chaos locked this topic