The Thrill (WoR Spoilers)

Barzai

I find it interesting that the Thrill seemed to disappear from Adolin as the book progressed.  We also find it escaping from Sadeas (or at least providing him with less and less satisfaction) as the story progresses.  I think that this reduction is related to one or both of the following:

1) Moeloch being less prevalent in the area

2) The Parshendi embracing Stormform

I am basing these ideas on the following:

1) The Thrill seems to feed into the dark aspects of Alethi aggression.

2) Adolin feels less and less of the Thrill as the book progresses.  Sadeas also seems to gain less and less from the Thrill as things proceed (although to a lesser extent that Adolin's reduction).

3) Moeloch seems to be retreating from the Kharbranth area as Mr. T is watching.

4) Moeloch's "touch seeps into a soul as it breaks apart from the body, creating manifestations powered by the spark of death itself."- sure, that sounds like Mr. T's "death rattles" but it also sounds like the experiences people have with the Thrill.  They seem to separate themselves from their consciousness (conscience?) and become consumed with the conflict.

5) The timing also coincides with the increasing frequency of red lightning spren and the increase of Stormform Parshendi.

6) I am less confident about this point, as I haven't really studied it at all - The Alethi are less capable against the Parshendi at the end of the book.  Given the added powers of Stormform, the Parshendi might explain this easily - however, the numbers are still not necessarily in the Parshendi favour.

Part of me thinks that Moeloch is being absorbed into the Parshendi as they attain Stormform, and that is reducing it from both providing Taravangian's "death rattles" but also reducing the Alethi Thrill of battle.  Honestly, the Thrill being related to Moeloch's moving away felt clear to me, but the idea of Moeloch's absorbtion into the Stormform Parshendi came after a little reflection.

Please let me know your thoughts - I am new to the forums here and haven't seen any ideas like this as of yet.

“The Thrill?” he whispered to Adrotagia as they left the latest group of men.

“They fought through the night as their capital burned. It must have been in force.”

“I agree,” she said. “It gives us a further reference point. The Thrill is at least as strong here as it is in Alethkar. Maybe stronger. I will speak to our scholars. Perhaps this will help pinpoint Nergaoul.

Nice thoughts, but wrong Unmade.

Yep. Moeloch was the "death rattles" Unmade. But yes, I agree that it has to be Nergaoul. Perhaps we should look into other weird behaviors around Roshar and see if we can blame it on another one of the Unmade.

• Chaos locked this topic