Urithiru? (Spoilers)

Luke.spence

So, is Urithiru everyone's home base now? It seemed weird how everyone near the shattered plains came through, and they were content to leave most of the rest of Alethkar (and the world for that matter) to the Voidbringers. I know there were issues with the other Oathgates, but to just check out and run to Urithiru seemed to be against Dalinar's character.

Are they going to use that as a strike base for the newly re-established Knights Radiance? The whole thing kinda ruined the end a little bit to me. I didn't think they'd stay there. Is it safe from the Voidbringers? What about Highstorms or the Everstorm? 

Thoughts?

Not all of the Highprinces went to Urithiru. The issue is that the Everstorm is now making its way back around the world and when it comes back it will turn the Parshmen into Voidbringers. My thinking is that the only place that doesn't have Parshmen that they can get to is Urithiru. So get there, set up a base and start opening the other gates.   

Edited by JcStoneDog

Even if all of the parshmen change into voidbringers, which I don't think they will, not all of them, enough humans will survive that they will need a base of operations and somewhere that is spacious and easy to get to, which uruthiru is. From there they can take the fight to the voidbringers, and train new people.

Urithiru is by far the best place to base and coordinate against the Voidbringers. It's been implied that it's always the base of operations during a desolation. 

Once the rest of the Oathgates are restored it is literally the most connected place in all of Roshar. They will be able to travel all over the planet to battle the Voidbringers. It's quite possible that it will actually be faster to get to Kholinar / Alethkar from Urithiru than it would have been to march from the Shattered Plains. Especially with two sets of storms to deal with.

The city also likely holds a huge amount of information about both the Knights Radiant and fighting voidbringers. 

It's also mentioned in chapter 6 that legend claimed the city to be protected from Voidbringers. 

They moved at the end of the book because they knew that the Desolation had come, the Everstorm was coming back (towards the 'leeward' side that's less protected), multiple highprinces were dead and the army needed to recover from their climactic battle. If all that wasn't enough, the Alethi no longer had a reason to be on the Shattered Plains - the Parshendi had been defeated with survivors scattered. The Vengence Pact had been fulfilled and it was time for the kingdom to move on. 

Dalinar had also been trying to unite the highprinces and end the near complete separation of warcamps. Uritithiru gives him a chance to do that. 

Also, since you can't activate the portals without a Nahal Bond (since you need a *live* spren to form a shardblade to activate the portal), the city is secure from the Voidbringers.  The Voidbringers can no doubt eventually reach it, but it would require climbing across the mountains to get there.

• Chaos locked this topic