Aon Mea

As I was working on the Brandonothology, I stumbled across an old comment that Brandon said:

What is the x in Aon Mea? Is it one of the Shard-pools?

Afraid not. Aon Mea references the expanded region within which the "Elantris Effect" will create Elantrians. The X is fertile valley with a high density of life, a place with a lot of cognitive activity. (Cognitive as defined by Realmatic Theory includes the 'thoughts' of all things that exist, not just human beings. The more complex the life form, the stronger its presence on the Cognitive Realm.)

A rough version of Aon Mea:

______

)______(

)__)_.(__(

)______(

The red is where the x is. The middle square is a closed off Aon Aon, and then there's a bigger square around it.

I think that this Aon may explain some questions about the Shaod. This is why Fjordell lands don't become Elantrian, and it may also explain why power is so week outside of Arelon. I suppose a question is, what happens when an Elantrian goes outside the outer boundry? Do they have the same amount of power as they would if there were no Elantris?

Quesitons to think about...

Ooh, these are good questions to think about. I think that you are correct in saying that this is why the Fjordell lands don't have the Shaod. Also, my guess is that Elantrians continue being Elantrians of weakened power (but not as weak as Reod levels of zombiehood), kind of like when Raoden teleports to Teod and can barely make a weak Aon Edo to defend himself from Dilaf.

Edited by Chachel

But if the inner Aon Aon is the shaw and mountains, the some (if not most) of Fjordell falls into the outer square, along with most of Duladell, all of Jindo and maybe evne some of Teod.

I don't think Elantrians are created in Teod. Doesn't the text explicitly say you have to be in Arelon to be created into Elantrians?

What's interesting is that Brandon calls this the "Elantris Effect," not the Shaod. That means that the two are very much connected. Maybe people smarter than me already understood that, but that's obviously important.

I don't think Elantrians are created in Teod. Doesn't the text explicitly say you have to be in Arelon to be created into Elantrians?

I'm quite sure that the text says that those from Teod can become Elantrians when in the vicinity of Arelon, but that it doesn't happen in Teod. Perhaps it's a minimum triggered amount of Elantris sDNA (similar to the Mistborn mechanic for Allomancy) that is required for the Shaod to take hold? Interesting... I think I need to re-read Elantris again soon!

Fell

I'm quite sure that the text says that those from Teod can become Elantrians when in the vicinity of Arelon, but that it doesn't happen in Teod. Perhaps it's a minimum triggered amount of Elantris sDNA (similar to the Mistborn mechanic for Allomancy) that is required for the Shaod to take hold? Interesting... I think I need to re-read Elantris again soon!

Fell

I think it might be an sDNA case, or at least the people on Sel believe that it is. For example, when Raoden meets Galladon, he is surprised to meet a Dula Elantrian, but Galladon explains that most Dula are mixed race, with a lot of Arelish blood.

If only Aonic people can become Elantrians, logically the important question is, where did the Aonic people migrate from? The west?

Or is it that if you live in the Elantris effect region for a few generations, you can be taken by the Shaod (Fjordell or not)?

If only Aonic people can become Elantrians, logically the important question is, where did the Aonic people migrate from? The west?

Or is it that if you live in the Elantris effect region for a few generations, you can be taken by the Shaod (Fjordell or not)?

maybe the inner Aon Aon's bounds lay the Shaod's effects, the outer lays the reach of Aonic effect...

Maybe i am wrong, but I believe that was said that only people from Teod could become elantrians (After some time living in Arelon) but other people could not, no matter how much time they lived. I think that shin merchants were the example.

That's true, I forgot about Shuden and the rest of the JinDo merchants...

Ooh! I had an idea. What if, the reason why Fjordell and JinDo people can't become Elantrians is because they already have their own connection to the Dor! Fjordell people have the Dahkor monks, and the JinDo have ClayShan, and the Aonic people have Aons.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

That's true, I forgot about Shuden and the rest of the JinDo merchants...

Ooh! I had an idea. What if, the reason why Fjordell and JinDo people can't become Elantrians is because they already have their own connection to the Dor! Fjordell people have the Dahkor monks, and the JinDo have ClayShan, and the Aonic people have Aons.

Wouldnt that only apply to the actual Dahkor monks?

And, the opposite of that. Could people from teod or Arelon become Dahkor monks? Could an elantrian?

It seems to be at least a two part issue. One must be of a certain bloodline and be within its area of effect. Teod carries the right bloodline as they are essentially Arelish, but it is too far away to be affected. Galladon says he was taken at his farm, but that was along the borderlands between the two countries and there is a history of interbreeding. (Everytime I try to write Arelish, my brain tries to make it come out Arendish).

The other nations appear to be lacking the correct genetics to be converted even if they are inside the AOE. I would hazard to say that Shuden's children will be susceptible though, and their entire bloodline as a result.

• Chaos locked this topic