Have we seen all the Heralds yet?

Humph

There appear to be 5 male Heralds and 5 female ones.

Of the male Heralds, it seems generally supposed that we have seen Jezrien and Nalan as characters in the book.  We've also seen Talanel.  Kalak has appeared in the prelude.  The general consensus is that Shallash appears in Baxil's interlude.

Have the other Heralds been shown as characters in the book to this point [excluding prelude or visions], in the background and unannounced?  We would be missing 2 males and 4 females.

Would a result of their 'Heraldship' be in essence functional immortality, i.e. non-aging (baring violent death)?  Could that be used as a clue to help 'ferret out' candidates?  If I were one of the absconded Heralds I would be avoiding anything that could kill me and send me back to that place of horror.  So perhaps characters that don't seem to age, have obscure backgrounds/history, shrink from confrontation or violence, or operate under the radar?

Clues:

• They tend to have no accent to whoever is speaking with them. Look for characters that should have an accent because of their nationality but for some reason don't.
  • They seem to look different than most people - Baxil's mistress is described as looking like a mix of a bunch of nationalities.
  • Baxil's mistress had the overly light eyes associated with Radiants. Others may as well.
  • They tend to have corrupted versions of their attributes, so I would look for Palah and Vedeledev (Learned/Giving and Loving/Healing) among Taravangian's surgeons, Ishar among the stormwardens, that sort of thing.
  • When they appear in a chapter, they get their icon on the archs at the start of every chapter. (Usually? Szeth's prologue has two Jezriens, which supports the theory that the beggar he sees is Jezrien. If I were doing the archs I would have done Chach for Szeth's obedience and Jezrien for Szeth's Windrunning abilities.)

We know all the Heralds appeared or were mentioned in TWoK if that helps, too.

Edited by Moogle

This woman comes to mind. She appears in the Palaneum when Shallan is hiding in an out-of-the-way place trying to figure out how to use the soulcaster. Pailiah, perhaps? Seems a fitting place for one with the attributes of Learned/Giving.

A light flickering through nearby bookcases startled her, and she tucked away her folio. It turned out to be just an old, berobed female ardent, shuffling with a lantern and followed by a parshman servant. She didn’t look in Shallan’s direction as she turned between two rows of shelves, her lantern’s light shining out through the spaces between the books . Lit that way— with her figure hidden but the light streaming between the shelves— it looked as if one of the Heralds themselves were walking through the stacks.

Sanderson, Brandon (2010-08-31). The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive, The) (pp. 502-503). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought we had heard of/seen 9 of them?

• Jezrien (Also known as the Stormfather, Jezrien is the leader of the Heralds, and was once a king.He is the Herald that suggeststhey lie and tell the people that they have won the final Desolation)
  • Nalan
  • Vedeledev
  • Pailiah
  • Shalash (her statue is missing from Gavilars collection possibly the art work destroyer)
  • Battar
  • Kalak (in the prologue he arrives last to the meeting place, Jezrien informs him the Othpact is broken)
  • Talenel (abandoned by the other Heralds when the Oathpact was broken)
  • Ishar (is the Herald who suggests that so long as one Herald is bound to the Oathpact, it will be enough to hold.)

This is all i have on them, except for the numbers and essences but im too lazy to type them out. 

Edited by WEZ313

I thought we had heard of/seen 9 of them?

• Jezrien (Also known as the Stormfather, Jezrien is the leader of the Heralds, and was once a king.He is the Herald that suggeststhey lie and tell the people that they have won the final Desolation)
  • Nalan
  • Vedeledev
  • Pailiah
  • Shalash (her statue is missing from Gavilars collection possibly the art work destroyer)
  • Battar
  • Kalak (in the prologue he arrives last to the meeting place, Jezrien informs him the Othpact is broken)
  • Talenel (abandoned by the other Heralds when the Oathpact was broken)
  • Ishar (is the Herald who suggests that so long as one Herald is bound to the Oathpact, it will be enough to hold.)
This is all i have on them, except for the numbers and essences but im too lazy to type them out.
We're talking about Heralds appearing on-screen, so to speak.

Nalan's name is also used in expletives.  That leaves Vedeledev, Palah, and Battar as candidates for those we have actually seen since they are not mentioned directly.  I think WEZ313's post is in reference to the WoB which says that he have either seen or heard mentioned every Herald in WoK.  Given Brandon's words, I doubt that all 10 have appeared on screen.  WEZ313's breakdown serves as a good guide for who to look for.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if we have seen her,  but I think we now have names for "Chach" The herald for the Releasers.

Navani "swears" by Chana twice, and then the temple wall of Chanaranach that Shallan speaks of:

Shallan was apparently no longer an outsider, but one of Navani’s clutch—and Chana help the man or woman who stood between Navani and one of her own.
Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 886). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Chana knows, I wondered sometimes how I raised that child without strangling her.
Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 941) Kindle

“And copies of this too—it’s my attempt at re-creating one of the murals described as being on the outer wall of the temple to Chanaranach in Stormseat. It faced leeward, and was supposedly shaded, so we might be able to find hints of it.
Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 941). Kindle .

• Chaos locked this topic