Words of Wisdom

ryshadium90

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

The moment you share a secret, expect it to spread. 

Its the same thing, but to phrase it a little differently, "Silence is the true friend that never betrays." I believe that is Confucius.

Also just thought of another one. I don't know if I should just edit my first post if any others pop in my head in the future. Perhaps someone could explain shard etiquette? Anyways I love a good story and have been known to embellish facts to make it more fun. So this is one I made up and have been using for years: "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story."

Edited by Ammanas

These are all such good quotes! I need to write more stories now. But now I need to wait a day to give everyone upvotes. Oh well.

Another one of my favorites was someone quoting a bumper sticker: Don't judge me because I sin differently than you. (Dieter F. Uchtdorf anyone?)

8 minutes ago, ryshadium90 said:

Don't judge me because I sin differently than you. (Dieter F. Uchtdorf anyone?)

"When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm, please apply the following: Stop it!" 

He has a bunch of good ones, but that one popped in my head first.

6 hours ago, Ammanas said:

"When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm, please apply the following: Stop it!" 

He has a bunch of good ones, but that one popped in my head first.

I have a feeling at least part of the reason for that is the fact that it became such a huge meme. XD

18 hours ago, ryshadium90 said:

Another one of my favorites was someone quoting a bumper sticker: Don't judge me because I sin differently than you. (Dieter F. Uchtdorf anyone?)

I am so happy you put this here. I had nearly forgotten that existed

On 7/17/2017 at 11:43 AM, Calderis said:

You can't expect people to drop everything when you need them if you're not willing to do the same in return. 

You'll find that even if you drop everything to help, there are times which, for whatever reason, these same people won't come through for you. 

That's why backup plans are essential! 

Also: "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. " attributed to Sir Terry Pratchet.

There is a very old quote from Bhagwat Geeta which in my opinion is the most popular quote in India. It goes like this:

"Karm karo. Phal ki chinta mat rakho". Roughly translated (as translations go): "Do your own duty. Don't get anxious about the result".

My other favourite is from Jean Jacques Rousseau. It is "Nature never deceives us; it is always we who deceive ourselves." I find it true in most situations.

Finally, no quote spree is complete without a gem of wisdom from The Lies of Locke Lamora (gods, I LOVE THIS BOOK). It is from the prologue, where the narrator says

"An old Camorri proverb has it that the only constant in the soul of man is inconstancy; anything and everything else can pass out as fashion - even something as utilitarian as a hill stuffed full of corpses"

People will tell you that they want the truth. They will believe it when they speak these words. People who actually seek truth are rare. Most believe they want truth but what they really seek is assurance that what they already believe is true. Real truth is devastating. 

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

People will tell you that they want the truth. They will believe it when they speak these words. People who actually seek truth are rare. Most believe they want truth but what they really seek is assurance that what they already believe is true. Real truth is devastating. 

Very true! Another way of putting it is:

Person 1: You want answers?
Person 2: I think I'm entitled to them.

Person 1: You want answers?
Person 2 I want the truth!

Person 1: You can't handle the truth!

1 minute ago, ryshadium90 said:

My Young Womens teacher once taught the class that we forgive/apologize to others because we care about the relationship between us. That's got me through so many arguments.

I totally agree. 

I think I've seen it worded something like. 

"sometimes we say 'I'm sorry' because we care more about the other persons feelings than we do about being right" 

3 minutes ago, ryshadium90 said:

My Young Womens teacher once taught the class that we forgive/apologize to others because we care about the relationship between us. That's got me through so many arguments.

I look at it in a similar way. I always ask myself, "Is this a hill I am willing to die upon defending?" Even if I feel that I am right I usually apologize and ask to move on.

6 hours ago, Idealistic Mistborn said:

When people tell you what to do just smile and nod, and then do what you want anyways.

If you want to gain something you'll need to sacrifice something... generally something of greater value.

Heh, I really like those ones, even if they remind me of the Penguins and the Nightwatcher.

10 hours ago, Calderis said:

I totally agree. 

I think I've seen it worded something like. 

"sometimes we say 'I'm sorry' because we care more about the other persons feelings than we do about being right" 

10 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I look at it in a similar way. I always ask myself, "Is this a hill I am willing to die upon defending?" Even if I feel that I am right I usually apologize and ask to move on.

You see, I'm normally the other way around :P 

Structure and rules foster dependability; chaos creates unforeseen setbacks and missed deadlines.

Opinions are opinions and facts are facts

Either something’s been done right or it’s been done wrong, and sugarcoating it or walking away isn’t going to fix it.

Edited by Silverblade5