Amaram's Shardplate

eloiv

In the short conversation between Dalinar and Amaram i noticed that even though they talked about Amaram's shardblade there was no mention about his shardplate

I’m glad you finally made your way here, after years of promises. I heard you’ve even found yourself a Shardblade!”  “Yes,” the newcomer said, pulling back and holding his hand to the side. “Taken from an assassin who dared try to kill me on the field of battle.The Blade appeared.

Also Amaram wasn't wearing it,

Square-faced and dignified, the newcomer wore a pristine uniform.

something that would be reasonable for his first time in the Shattered Plains especially if he wanted to impress Dalinar. Shardplates are equally important with the blades as both of them mark someone as a full shardbearer so they should at least mention it. Do you think that Amaram hides the fact that he also aquired a shardplate or that something happened and he lost it or it was taken from him? Or is he just to embarrassed by the way he took the blade and the plate that if not asked directly he doesn't talk about it?

Notice that Elhokar is considered odd for wearing his plate everywhere.  Plate is a risk around everyday people.  Especially if you're new in it.  Gavilar talks about how it's easy to break someone when he touches Navani while wearing his plate at one point.

Very good question.

Is it possible that Amaram already owned Shardplate?  If Dalinar knew that Amaram already had the plate, it makes sense that he would only comment on the blade - the second set of plate would probably just go to a son/retainer or something, so it would be much less newsworthy.

Notice that Elhokar is considered odd for wearing his plate everywhere.  Plate is a risk around everyday people.  Especially if you're new in it.  Gavilar talks about how it's easy to break someone when he touches Navani while wearing his plate at one point.

Elokhar probably wears it cause he is paranoid. You're absolutely correct, it is a risk to be worn around your friends and family. May it shows the extent of Elokhar's insecurity. Also Maybe Dalinar didn't comment on his plate because Amaran was not wearing it. It would be pretty stupid to wear a full shard plate armour by a person into the camp of another high prince who was recently betrayed by your own high prince, even if they're closest of friends. Also did Dalinar know about Amaran's plate? They always mention about Amaran the shard bearer. So Maybe Dalinar didn't know about his plate yet. 

It was well known in Amaram's army that the shardbearer had both blade and plate;  he rode straight through the ranks.  If Amaram got the Blade, it would stand to reason people would believe he got the Plate as well.  I suspect it would be remarked upon if he did not.

• Chaos locked this topic