(Bands Spoilers) Connection

Red Ferring

When Allik straps on his Connection medallion to speak their language, I wonder if the aspect of Connection we already knew about, which is to form trusted relationships more quickly, was also being tapped. He mentions the medallions benefit as allowing him to speak the language, but we know it does more than that, and I wonder if you don't get to choose whether or not the "trusted relationship" part comes into play with that language perk.

He was this foreign native that everyone was wary about and a little anxious around (and granted, that could have just been caused because here's a stranger speaking apparent nonsense and wearing a mask) but after strapping on the medallion and speaking their language, he was quickly gaining their trust and soon after he and Marasi were talking like good friends. And Wax was trusting him when Wax's trust is hard to come by.

Granted, he was also saving their lives and had a lot of interesting information about this amazing technology so why wouldn't they start trusting him, but it definitely stood out to me what Connection supposedly does when tapped and how quickly he and Marasi were forming a relationship, which very quickly turned into him making a very strong gesture of affection by giving his mask.

As a side thought, perhaps the "forming trusting relationships" aspect of Connection works both ways. Not just them trusting him, but also him trusting them. Which could explain why his affections for Marasi grew so quickly. I'm thinking about this and what a terrible conflict point in The Lost Metal it would be if she starts doubting the source of her feelings for Allik because she learns the medallion was probably in play. A lot like when you learn a soother or rioter was around when you're feeling strong emotions.

What's yours alls thoughts ons this?

I'm not sure. I suppose it is possible with it being not connected to any one person. In my mind though, a feruchemical ability only afffects the one who is storing or using it up though. This could certainly work to make Allik more trusting towards the others but not the other way around.

The others trusting him may have mainly been because the enemy of my enemy ...

Wouldn't say suspicious, just somewhat logical. Arguably, it was the only solution to their problems, so, while he may have had the advantage of forming trust relationships more quickly, it also wasn't meant to be malicious...

That being said, maybe you can store more than one type of Connection? Perhaps you can store Connection to location, people, or things. In fact, I think it's logical for there to be different types of Connection. The best example to Connection to location outside of Bands, are the different forms which Investiture takes in Elantris, since these are based on Connection to location. Arguably, being born with certain sDNA Connects you to your parents, on Scadrial, snapping increases your Connection you to Preservation. Connection to people is pretty easy to explain. An another example for Connection to people comes from the first Allomancer Jak story. In this story, the Terrisman taps Connection. The Terrisman uses it to form trust-relationships with the Koloss, not a place (it seems) to save Jak...

(Jak writes about it. It's funny that Jak, a non-Terris, understands Connection despite that the Terris are rather secretive about it...That might mean that the in-world writer is a Terris or half-Terris Connector Ferring or something like that. Perhaps it's Kelsier, dabbling in writing bad fiction about his adventures in the Roughs. Nah, that's just too silly.)

Edited by Kandra-in-disguise

That being said, maybe you can store more than one type of Connection? Perhaps you can store Connection to location, people, or things. In fact, I think it's logical for there to be different types of Connection. The best example to Connection to location outside of Bands, are the different forms which Investiture takes in Elantris, since these are based on Connection to location. Arguably, being born with certain sDNA Connects you to your parents, on Scadrial, snapping increases your Connection you to Preservation. Connection to people is pretty easy to explain. An another example for Connection to people comes from the first Allomancer Jak story. In this story, the Terrisman taps Connection. The Terrisman uses it to form trust-relationships with the Koloss, not a place (it seems) to save Jak...

I had considered that and it's an interesting idea. Like with storing tin, you need a different tinmind for each sense. You need a separate duralumin mind for people and places

I sought Words of Brandon regarding Connection Medallions last night in Houston.

1. Me: Would a Connection medallion work for sign language?
    BS: Yes.
    Me: Would it make the person’s fingers move or would spoken word be interpreted mentally as the appropriate sign? Would it overcome deafness?
    BS: (a non committal “ehhh noise”)  It would translate the communication. I can say that.

2. Me: Does a Connection medallion account for heavy sarcasm?
    BS: It would. Maybe not the heaviest, most deadpan sarcasm.

3. Words of Radiance Spoiler?

Me: Would a Connection medallion accurately interpret a Listener’s Rhythms?
    BS: Yes, it would, but not all of it, some would be lost in translation. You’d probably lose some of the nuance. It would probably be better to give the medallion to someone who couldn't understand it than someone who spoke it.

Original thread: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/53221-calamity-tour-houston-tx/

Edited by Cadmium

I asked a bunch of questions about Connection at the Denver signing and one of them was about storing different types; it's not the greatest wording but I was trying to see if storing different types of Connection worked like storing different senses in tin:

Me: "Can you store different types of Connection at different times? Like can you store Connection to people versus location?"

Brandon: "That is possible."

So I'm guessing that he was only tapping Locational Connection.

As for "forming trusting relationships," I'd guess it goes both ways because otherwise I don't think it would do anything. A connection by definition needs to have more than one thing to connect.

I asked a bunch of questions about Connection at the Denver signing and one of them was about storing different types; it's not the greatest wording but I was trying to see if storing different types of Connection worked like storing different senses in tin:

So I'm guessing that he was only tapping Locational Connection.

As for "forming trusting relationships," I'd guess it goes both ways because otherwise I don't think it would do anything. A connection by definition needs to have more than one thing to connect.

I think it's wonderful wording, honestly. You gave him an example (people or location), so, I think it counts as a confirmation...(or pretty close) to the idea that it would work like storing senses...since that just makes sense. :P

Perhaps I am confused then. But Duralumin and Chromium have always seemed odd to me compared to the other feruchemical powers. All of other power sets affect something you possess that you can store to affect your own mind or body at a later time. Those two on the other hand seem to affect how people or the environment react to you. Maybe once we learn more about them I'll understand better.

Edited by nervousnerd

• Chaos locked this topic