(BoM spoilers) How does Nicrosil even work

DeadFencer

Is it just me, or does no one else understand how nicrosilminds work? I'm pretty sure it stores the ability to use any ability the storer has. Is that right? That would be why you can't make nicrosilminds with more than 3 powers- people can't have more than 3 spikes, so you would need to put 3 spikes in a natural nicrosil ferring. Thus the bands can store all powers, since the storer had all the powers. But then how can you have a 3 power medallion, since you'd need to store identity to let anyone use it? I'm constantly confused.

Well you can have more than 3 spikes, certain Inquisitors had nearly 20 IIRC and I think the multiple-power medallions come from different people storing each of the three powers in a separate piece of Nicrosil then joining them into one Medallion. Any more and the powers start interfering.

I thought that it was that whoever was contributing to a given metalmind would just first store their identity in another aluminum-mind beforehand, making any metalmind they store to after that point identity-less. As long as you had one aluminum metalmind that anyone could use you could easily make an identity-free metalmind of at least one type.

I'm *guessing* that you'd basically make a metalmind combining nicrosil and whatever other metals you're trying to use, and have a few ferrings store their identities into aluminum-minds beforehand. Then you'd start by having a nicrosil-ferring store some of their investiture in the nicrosil, pass it to the next person where then they draw upon the initial nicrosil investiture and then store whatever particular investiture they have into the nicrosil, pass it to the next person and so on. All of the ferrings would have their identities stored away from them during this process. Though for whatever reason it becomes increasingly difficult with each successive investiture you try to store from a new person.

• Chaos locked this topic