Shadesmar's Nexus

Moogle

This is an old theory which I've updated given all the wonderful new information in the past year or so.

First, a definition of nexus: A means of connection; a link or tie.

(Also, the plural of nexus is... nexus. Apparently. Sometimes I hate English.)

If you take a look at the map of Shadesmar in the back of TWoK, you'll notice three nexus:

• The Nexus of Truth
  • The Nexus of Imagination
  • The Nexus of Transition

Shallan is associated with divine attributes of "honest/creative".

Now, when she Soulcasts (goes to Shadesmar) she hears a spren asking her for a truth about herself:

Can you return me to that place? she [shallan] asked.
You need to tell me something true, it replied. The more true, the stronger our bond.

You'll notice, interestingly enough, that there is a Nexus of Truth and that she was asked for a "truth". A nexus is a means of connection, going by the definition.

Let's take a moment and draw some conclusions (assumptions, really) from this.

• To "go" to Shadesmar, you need to find some sort of way to link to it. This means of getting there, or linking to it, involves one of the three nexus.
  • Lightweavers (like Shallan) bond with a cryptic (of which there may or may not be a sub-categorization of truthspren), who connects them to Shadesmar via the Nexus of Truth.

I think it's safe to say that Jasnah will not have the same spren as Shallan, though they may both be 'cryptics'. If we go on the assumption that the two orders used different nexus, then it seems possible that the other order, which Jasnah is a part of, involves the Nexus of Imagination.

Why?

The beads above her parted. Those beneath her surged, bearing her upward, out to where someone stood, hand outstreched. Jasnah back to the black sky, face lit by the nearby hovering flames. Jasnah grasped Shallan's hand, pulling her upward, onto something. A raft. Made from the beads of glass. They seemed to obey Jasnha's will.
Jasnah sat where she had been, eyes closed. A moment later, she opened them, giving Shallan an angry look.

You'll notice Jasnah closes her eyes to Soulcast, while Shallan has not had to. This is described many times, while Shallan has never been described as doing so.

I am assuming here that Jasnah is going through the Nexus of Imagination, and that to go to Shadesmar, she "imagines" things for her spren, much like Shallan might need to tell a truth to use the Nexus of Truth. Closing her eyes would be an aid to the process. In addition, she seems to have formed a raft through imagination, though I suspect Shallan can do much the same.

So, assuming this, this leaves us with one other way of getting to Shadesmar. The Nexus of Transition. Transition can mean a change from one state to another.

So, if the two orders of Knights Radiant used only two of the three nexus, what uses the other one?

A long while back I had theorized that it might be the Parshendi Soulcasting themselves, but I think it's safe to say that possibility is out the window with the Eshonai chapters. I'm going to go ahead and place a gigantic question mark here, though I think it's interesting that Hoid uses Shadesmar to worldhop (which would involve him physically going into Shadesmar) while Shallan and Jasnah just seem to visit with their minds. Perhaps the Nexus of Transition allows you to physically enter Shadesmar while the other two let your mind enter. (As something mildly crackpot, it wouldn't surprise me if the Transportation Surge involved going through Shadesmar to teleport places, which would use the Nexus of Transition, or perhaps the Oathgates involved the Nexus of Transition or something.)

If anyone has ideas, or quotes from Brandon referring to the various nexus, then I'd love to hear them. The WOT Theory Database has nothing so far as I can tell.

Edited by Moogle

Nexus is a direct loan word from Latin. If English weren't so dumb, the plural would be nexi, but like ultimatum we steal a word directly and then apply our own grammar to it. Stupid English.

You seem to be making a bunch of assumptions... not entirely without basis, but still flagrant speculation. The main one being, how do you know Shallan doesn't close her eyes? She's only gone twice, only once even sort of on purpose, both times very confusing and odd. Her eyes may have shut themselves without her realizing.

Or it could be a purely practical reason. Maybe Shallan's eyes don't close, and maybe Jasnah's doesn't have to, but maybe you don't blink if your mind is in Shadesmar. Maybe Jasnah came back to her body one too many times with dry, irritated eyes so now she closes them before she leaves as a precaution.

The main problem I have, however, is that the nexus are clearly physical locations on that map. If Shallan appeared in one spot and Jasnah appeared all the way over there, how did Jasnah get back to her in order to help with the raft? I also think it's an enormous stretch to say that Jasnah, a woman who has shown no extraordinary imagination whatsoever in the books, travels via imagination simply because that's an option, and "closing your eyes helps you imagine".

I thought the places on the Shadesmar maps were all places that corresponded to major Shardworlds. I remember topics where people tried to match the worlds with them.

Partly true, it is the Expanses that correspond to other shardworlds (we don't know whether they are all major though).  This originally comes from a signing where Brandon mentioned that the Expanse of Densities is a "world we know" but he later independently confirmed it.

I am also of the opinion that the "Nexi" are just features of shadesmar's landscape, not ways to gain entrance.

Thankyou Weiry, I didn't know about this! Let's actually quote it in here so we can examine it...

I went to the signing last night in San Jose, CA, and a couple of interesting things came up as part of Q&A and signing:

• The various Expanses of Shadesmar correspond to Shardworlds.

So, I confirmed that Shadesmar exists "on" all shard worlds (yep, but you shouldn't travel to it on some of them), but if that's the case, then why does it look like the inverse of Roshar?  Answer: because that's the portion that corresponds to Roshar.  There's more to it than just that portion, and the other portions are hinted at in the corners of the map.  It's through the other portions that you access other shardworlds.

(I've edited it all together, and edited out the irrelevant bits...)

So... it's the inverse of Roshar, which means maybe the Seas represent the physical realm of Roshar in some way? Or do the seas represent the spiritual energy of the people living on the land it inverts?

From the other comments we can deduce that there are other "Maps of Shadesmar" beyond this one, which join up to it on the expanse bits of this map, and they are the parts of Shadesmar corresponding to the other Shardworlds.

Any guesses as to which world the Expanse of Destinies leads to?

Brandon Sanderson

Expanse of the destinies = a world you know.

EDIT: Having read more of the source page, I've realised that my post here is somewhat redundant; they discuss it at length, and it is well worth a read. Also, apparently it is DENSITIES, not destinies. That said...

Ahha, I'm musing about the Expanses for nearly half an hour now. :) And nobody wants to begin ... so, I do: 

Expanse of the Broken Sky -> Sel 

Expanse of the Vapors -> Scadrial

Expanse of the Densities -> Nalthis 

That's my first, intuitive ideas about it, I can't provide any reasons for them. 

As "we" are on Roshar when we see this (only one known to us) map of Roshar, logically there is no Expanse correlating with Roshar.

Also, the bottom-left is the Expanse of Vibrance. If I had to go around assigning worlds to all the Expanses for fun (even though we might not know any but Density), I'd say:
Densities: Scadrial (because I had to pick one of the three)
Broken Sky: Sel ("broken", Skai~Sky ;))
Vibrance: Nalthis (colors and whatnot)

EDIT: Curse you Meg for preempting my baseless musings!!!! :angry:
-Also, you're right about Scadrial most likely being Vapors, what with the mist. That leaves either Sel or Nalthis as Densities, so Nalthis by process of elimination if we take "broken" and "sky" as hints for Sel.

These were the comments that really stuck out to me. We have four expanses to assign to Shardworlds. I am inclined to agree that Vibrance is Nalthis, and Vapours is Scadrial. I'd also be very surprised if Broken Sky wasn't Sel. Densities stumps me...

Edited by Kadrok

It's definitely not the spiritual energy, Shadesmar is the Cognitive Realm not the Spiritual one.  The explanation I've seen most often is that "beads" that make up the "sea" are the cognitive aspects of everything on land in the Physical Realm.  The seas are viewed as one big thing so their corresponding "beads" are large enough to form mountains.  (Others do a better job of explaining that.)  We also need to keep in mind Shadesmar "map" might not be entirely accurate, places with a lot of cognitive activity are supposed to be expanded in the Cognitive Realm (and areas with less activity are contracted)  so I find it unlikely Shadesmar would mirror the Physical Realm as perfectly as that map would suggest.

Edit: Ninja'd by Windy.  I agree with that by the way.

Edited by WeiryWriter

It's definitely not the spiritual energy, Shadesmar is the Cognitive Realm not the Spiritual one.  The explanation I've seen most often is that "beads" that make up the "sea" are the cognitive aspects of everything on land in the Physical Realm. 

Good point.

I am also of the opinion that the "Nexi" are just features of shadesmar's landscape, not ways to gain entrance.

I don't disagree that they are parts of the landscape. I think the way Jasnah left Shadesmar with Shallan is quite interesting.

The beads above her parted. Those beneath her surged, bearing her upward, out to where someone stood, hand outstretched. Jasnah, back to the black sky, face lit by nearby hovering flames. Jasnah grasped Shallan’s hand, pulling her upward, onto something. A raft. Made from the beads of glass. They seemed to obey Jasnah’s will. “Idiot girl,” Jasnah said, waving. The oceanlike beads to the left split, and the raft lurched, bearing them sideways toward a few flames of light. Jasnah shoved Shallan into one of the small flames, and she fell backward off the raft. And hit the floor of the alcove. Jasnah sat where she had been, eyes closed. A moment later, she opened them, giving Shallan an angry look.

Jasnah brought them towards the floating flames, and that appears to be what caused them to exit Shadesmar. At a guess, those flames might be the nexus. The problem is that there are hundreds of flames in Shadesmar, and only three labeled nexus.

Above the ocean hovered hundreds of flames, a sea of lights above the sea of glass beads.

It could be that the flames represented the location of Jasnah and Shallan in the Physical realm, but there would only be two in that case (and there were a 'few'). The map has flames in the four corners, so I would guess they are quite important. The nexus are also not labelled properly on the map, or at least there's no dots or distinguishing features corresponding to each nexus. It could be they move. It could also be that you don't have to go through the nexus, they just provide a sort of 'anchor' for you to find your way there. This goes well into the realm of baseless speculation, however.

You seem to be making a bunch of assumptions... not entirely without basis, but still flagrant speculation. The main one being, how do you know Shallan doesn't close her eyes? She's only gone twice, only once even sort of on purpose, both times very confusing and odd. Her eyes may have shut themselves without her realizing.

Why yes, this is rather farfetched speculation. I do think I've backed it up as well as I'm able considering we've got like two pages maximum describing Shadesmar from an unreliable narrator. I have no doubt that I am wrong on a few points. As to Shallan...

“What am I?” Shallan whispered. “Truthfully?” It was a day for confrontation. She felt strangely strong, steady. Time to speak it. “I’m a murderer. I killed my father.” Ah, the voice whispered. A powerful truth indeed…. And the alcove vanished. Shallan fell, dropping into that sea of dark glass beads.

She put one hand to the side, steadying herself on the nightstand, fingers brushing the large glass goblet that sat there. “What am I?” she whispered. “I’m terrified.” This is true. The bedroom transformed around her. The bed, the nightstand, her sketchpad, the walls, the ceiling—everything seemed to pop, forming into tiny, dark glass spheres.

I think the onus is on anyone claiming Shallan does close her eyes to prove it. The two times she goes to Shadesmar, it seems her eyes are quite open.

The main problem I have, however, is that the nexus are clearly physical locations on that map. If Shallan appeared in one spot and Jasnah appeared all the way over there, how did Jasnah get back to her in order to help with the raft? I also think it's an enormous stretch to say that Jasnah, a woman who has shown no extraordinary imagination whatsoever in the books, travels via imagination simply because that's an option, and "closing your eyes helps you imagine".

The map certainly doesn't show any distinguishing landmarks regarding the nexus, it just has labels floating in the middle of nowhere. As to Jasnah using imagination... yeah, it's a stretch. I'm more confident that Shallan is involved with the Nexus of Truth, or at least that her spren is. It's possible that Jasnah uses the Nexus of Transition, as her second Surge is Transportation. That might fit more.

Jasnah brought them towards the floating flames, and that appears to be what caused them to exit Shadesmar. At a guess, those flames might be the nexus. The problem is that there are hundreds of flames in Shadesmar, and only three labeled nexus.

It could be that the flames represented the location of Jasnah and Shallan in the Physical realm, but there would only be two in that case (and there were a 'few'). The map has flames in the four corners, so I would guess they are quite important. The nexus are also not labelled properly on the map, or at least there's no dots or distinguishing features corresponding to each nexus. It could be they move. It could also be that you don't have to go through the nexus, they just provide a sort of 'anchor' for you to find your way there. This goes well into the realm of baseless speculation, however.

I've always thought that the flames represent human Cognitive aspects. Perhaps the flame that Jasnah threw Shallan into was her own, returning her to her body.

Jasnah and Shallan where in Kharbranth when they went to Shadesmar. The place on Shadesmar that correlates physically to Kharbranth is called the Sea of Lost Lights. I'm gonna guess those floating lights are related to the name.

I like that theory! But if that's the case, why does the map of Shadesmar have four flames in the corners? It seems odd that a geographical feature of Shadesmar would be important enough to end up there.

I've always thought that the flames represent human Cognitive aspects. Perhaps the flame that Jasnah threw Shallan into was her own, returning her to her body.

I admit to thinking something along these lines, but it just doesn't seem to fit perfectly. It seems like you could take over someone else's body, for one, and that doesn't seem to fit the Transformation Surge. Could be the Surge is just poorly named, I guess. (You know, there's theories of Voidbringers taking over the bodies of people...)

Edited by Moogle

I don't think Kharbranth, the Sea of Lost Lights, and those flames Shallan sees in Shadesmar are related - not directly, at least. The Sea of Lost Lights is a very substantial chunk of Shadesmar's map - about a third, actually. I don't think even Kharbranth's hospitals and culture are enough to make this one city look like a third of Roshar's cognitive representation...

I don't think Kharbranth, the Sea of Lost Lights, and those flames Shallan sees in Shadesmar are related - not directly, at least. The Sea of Lost Lights is a very substantial chunk of Shadesmar's map - about a third, actually. I don't think even Kharbranth's hospitals and culture are enough to make this one city look like a third of Roshar's cognitive representation...

?? I'm sorry if it sounded like I implied that kharbranth was the entirety of the sea. All I meant was that Kharbranth was located inside the area known as the Sea of Lost Lights. My impression of what Shallan said was, as far as she could see in the immediate vicinity, those lights floated. I suspect they continue far, far into the distance, and make up the entire "sea of lost lights". I don't think there's any feature of Shadesmar unique/small enough to represent just the city of kharbranth.

• 9 months later...

I'm going to go ahead and necro this since the theory needs an update.

In brief, WoR introduces us to a few things:

• There are three orders that visit Shadesmar with any proficiency - the Willshapers, the Elsecallers, and the Lightweavers.
  • There are three nexus.
  • Nexus of Truth aligns nicely with the Lightweavers (as Shallan is asked for a truth)
  • Nexus of Imagination might line up nicely with the Willshapers, since they like to adventure/look at odd things.
  • Nexus of Transition might line up nicely with the Elsecallers, since they teleport around.

SA3 spoilers:

As well, Jasnah can go into Shadesmar physically, which involves a 'transition'. The Surge of Transportation fits in well.

We also know there are "junctions", which you use to enter Shadesmar. It is not at all clear what this means for the nexus, and how you might use them.

In general, I suspect this theory has the core of a good idea at the heart of it - I recognized that the nexus might be related to how you get there, and WoR adds evidence to this. However, I have no idea how the nexus relate to getting into Shadesmar.

Further speculation is welcome.

My problem here is that the nexus are actual locations in Shadesmar - you can point to a map and say "here, this is the Nexus of Truth." And Surgebinders of those three orders can enter the Cognitive Realm from anywhere - and end up in pretty much the same place, but on the other side.

My problem here is that the nexus are actual locations in Shadesmar - you can point to a map and say "here, this is the Nexus of Truth." And Surgebinders of those three orders can enter the Cognitive Realm from anywhere - and end up in pretty much the same place, but on the other side.

The map says that all of the nexus are on there, but it is not at all clear to me where on the map they actually are. There's no geographical feature that all three share, so I don't know where the nexus actually are.

tWoK_ENDSHEET-REAR-1-webres.jpg

It almost seems like the nexus are sort of like country names.

In this case, perhaps they delineate areas where certain spren rule? The Nexus of Truth could be where Pattern and other liespren are based, the Nexus of Imagination where the Willshaper spren are, and the Nexus of Transition where Ivory's people are focused?

Edited by Moogle

The map says that all of the nexus are on there, but it is not at all clear to me where on the map they actually are. There's no geographical feature that all three share, so I don't know where the nexus actually are.

It almost seems like the nexus are sort of like country names.

They don't have clear borders, yes, but if I enter Shadesmar from somewhere inside Alethkar (i.e. the Sea of Lost Lights), I wouldn't expect to find myself inside the Nexus of Truth.

In this case, perhaps they delineate areas where certain spren rule? The Nexus of Truth could be where Pattern and other liespren are based, the Nexus of Imagination where the Willshaper spren are, and the Nexus of Transition where Ivory's people are focused?

This is more likely, as nexus implies a center or convergence of power.

Does anyone else see a connection between the Sea of Lost Lights, and the Vorin Kingdoms, which went through the Recreance; the Sea of Souls, which is the same region as the Valley of the Nightwatcher, and the Purelake, which is supposed to be a Shardpool; and the Sea of Regrets, which is where the Shin live, as well as where it seems there is more knowledge of the Heralds and Voidbringers? 

• Chaos locked this topic