Simple Theory About How the Spanreeds Works

Natans

Hello friends. A was reading about fabrial science in the coppermind, and something caught my attetion in the Navani Notebook. 

In some part of the book was written that:

"The cut and type of the gem determines what kind of spren are attracted to it and can be imprisoned in it.

There must be thousands of possible combinations.

Once a spren is captured and the gem infused with Stormlight the fabrial can be used in machines.

Flamespren trapped in emerald.

(These are labels describing which spren are attracted to different gem cuts.)

• cold
  • gravity
  • pain
  • heat
  • wind"

After read this I finally solved a question that I had about how really worked the Spanreeds. The aswer is so obvious simple that must be correct. Trapped inside of the spanreeds gems must exist a gravity spren! =)

So the Pairing fabrials (Conjoiners, like the spanreeds and the Reversers) are simply a gem with a gravity spren trapped inside that was cut in the middle. If you move one part o the gem the other follow and the same principle probally is used in the reversers only with the opossite effect.

I must say that is very clever from Mr. Sanderson all this fabrial science. At fist glance looks very "magical" but if you look closer is much more like a "pseudo-science" that anything else.

PS: Sorry for my "rockish" english =)

The aswer is so obvious simple that must be correct. Trapped inside of the spanreeds gems must exist a gravity spren! =)

This sounds feasible to me.

So the Pairing fabrials (Conjoiners, like the spanreeds and the Reversers) are simply a gem with a gravity spren trapped inside that was cut in the middle. If you move one part o the gem the other follow and the same principle probally is used in the reversers only with the opossite effect.

I'm not certain this part works for me. I'm not sure you can split a spren. It seems more likely that two gravity spren were linked, possibly after being trapped in a gemstone that was split, or possibly just in two similar gemstones.

I must say that is very clever from Mr. Sanderson all this fabrial science. At fist glance looks very "magical" but if you look closer is much more like a "pseudo-science" that anything else.

Yes, he could have been a truly gifted alchemist. It's almost a shame he decided to become a writer instead.

If the reeds are linked, and added and reduced gravity are applied equally to both spanreeds it would theoretically cause the receiving reed to duplicate the actions of the transmitting reed. The theory needs some work, but I believe it has some merit. Lift one reed and reduce the amount of gravity on the corresponding reed, push down on it and increase the gravity on the receiving reed. It isn't perfect, but seems plausible.

I also think you're a bit off there, Gloom. The fact that gravity is a force that moves things is the only connection that I can see. The pens move perfectly in all axis, with the "pushing" end putting forward all the extra work to move the "pushed" pen.

There's also differential rotation and orientation in general to consider, although I suppose one virtue of picking gravity is that "down" is always fairly well defined.

Edited by Kurkistan

Well I said that was a "Simple Theory", after all I don't have much data to put here =)

The gem must be divided because "Conjoiners were fabrials involving an infused ruby which was split in half, the split halves would then create parallel reactions across a distance".

So the half of  the gem move like a whole, because, I'm conviced the spren inside  the gem, which must have be measured (like as done in one of interludes) must  act was a whole even when the part are apart.

Given that the spren trapped inside the gem is bonded to that measurement. If you have a gravity spren how is attracted to the earth with a constant force, and you move a part of the whole the another part of the whole must move likewise to maintain "the stability" of that measurement, or something along this lines =)

I think that make sense, but I don't have enough data to be 100% precise so take this Cum grano salis.

• Chaos locked this topic