Movie Night: Lord of the Rings

mirahound

Watching LOTR, and I just finished the Stormlight Archives. I can’t help imagining how the different characters would react to it.

I imagine Kaladin would be the one that rolls his eyes at the idea of popping in a movie, but then gets really into it and keeps getting mad at Shallan and Renarin, who keep making predictions and snarky remarks. Dalinar would be shouting at Merry and Pippin’s stupidity, and then pause as he realizes how disturbingly similar he is to Gandalf. Meanwhile, for some reason I imagine Adolin relating on a deep level to Legolas. Navani would pat him on the head and distract him with a kiss. Jasnah would be the first to question why they didn’t just use the eagles, and Elhokar would complain that he wanted to watch The Hobbit instead.

Edit: When I say Navani pats him on the head, I'm referring to Dalinar, not Adolin.  :wacko:

Edited by mirahound

You have no idea how much I like to imagine the cast of characters in our world. How would Shallan react when she saw a public pool? What would Kaladin think, when he saw how both light and darkeyes are equal here? If Dalinar didn't like the Highprince's fashion choices, what would he say about our's? And the idea that our whole earth is like Shinovar? That Highstorms (hurricanes) happen maybe once a year? Shocking.

Edited by The Honor Spren

Imagine how badass it would be if Adolin became a "batman" in a sense and would patrol high crime areas in his shardplate. Whenever thugs would make fun of his armor while pulling their guns on him, he would put his helm on and summon his shardblade and scare them shitless. Oh man that would be amazing.

Jasnah would be the first to question why they didn’t just use the eagles...

I love this one, my wife and i have often thought if they can ride or be carried by the eagles why didn't they just fly to Mount Doom and drop the ring in? Granted then there is no story, but still. it seems pretty obvious as a solution. I can see Jasnah pointing out the logical flaw with the story.

Also thanks for posting about this. pretty fun to consider.

What would Kaladin think, when he saw how both light and darkeyes are equal here? If Dalinar didn't like the Highprince's fashion choices, what would he say about our's? And the idea that our whole earth is like Shinovar? That Highstorms (hurricanes) happen maybe once a year? Shocking.

I would think they would all be like, what are all those animals? Why does Rohan have so many horses?  Where are all the pieces "of wet slime" and why are we missing "a disgusting crab thing with seventeen legs" that slinks "across the rocks together on an insufferably rainy day?"

Would they be confused by Ents and ask are they Treespren? Is Sauron like Odium? i think they would have so many questions about the LOTR and be confused by the world. It would be funny to hear their thoughts. 

I think it'd be hilarious for ALL of them to see a public pool for the first time. Not just Shallan.

I love this one, my wife and i have often thought if they can ride or be carried by the eagles why didn't they just fly to Mount Doom and drop the ring in? Granted then there is no story, but still. it seems pretty obvious as a solution. I can see Jasnah pointing out the logical flaw with the story.

The reason behind this is simple, I think. Gandalf wanted the experience points. I mean, there's a reason he didn't let anyone else join in on the Balrog fight.

Edited by Random Observations R Me

Also thanks for posting about this. pretty fun to consider.

I would think they would all be like, what are all those animals? Why does Rohan have so many horses?  Where are all the pieces "of wet slime" and why are we missing "a disgusting crab thing with seventeen legs" that slinks "across the rocks together on an insufferably rainy day?"

Would they be confused by Ents and ask are they Treespren? Is Sauron like Odium? i think they would have so many questions about the LOTR and be confused by the world. It would be funny to hear their thoughts. 

Oh, gosh, I hadn't even considered the ents (I was watching the Fellowship)! I dunno, considering all their plant life seems to move around already... I can imagine them being really thrown off by Treebeard talking. 

Btw, I totally imagine Kaladin throwing a boot at the screen when Gandalf dies. Oh my gosh, I can see Kaladin getting into it waaaay too much and having to have Syl remind him it's just a story.

The Eagles actually makes more sense than at first glance, the whole point of the Fellowship was to sneak in under Sauron's radar cause if he knew about Frodo he'd have stomped over nabbed the ring and crushed everyone without trouble. The Eagles are good for emergency rescues but they're also massive magical flying servants of the Valar who are exactly the sort of people Sauron would be watching to make sure the Valar weren't going to intervene. They also never leave their mountains under normal circumstances and only really do so at the request of Gandalf or one of the other Istarii.

Flying in on the Eagles would sent up a big red flag saying 'Gandalf is here guys!' and then Sauron would have just met them at Mt Doom, crushed their resistance and taken back the ring.

The Eagles actually makes more sense than at first glance, the whole point of the Fellowship was to sneak in under Sauron's radar cause if he knew about Frodo he'd have stomped over nabbed the ring and crushed everyone without trouble. The Eagles are good for emergency rescues but they're also massive magical flying servants of the Valar who are exactly the sort of people Sauron would be watching to make sure the Valar weren't going to intervene. They also never leave their mountains under normal circumstances and only really do so at the request of Gandalf or one of the other Istarii.

Flying in on the Eagles would sent up a big red flag saying 'Gandalf is here guys!' and then Sauron would have just met them at Mt Doom, crushed their resistance and taken back the ring.

Haha, I get the feeling you and Shallan would get along well. You can both prove Jasnah wrong! :D

Jasnah would be the first to question why they didn’t just use the eagles,

I think Jasnah would be more interested in the whole "GIANT FLYING CHICKEN!" angle  :P Particularly from a taxonomic perspective. Shallan is going to be doodling quite a bit. I think the general look of the world will be much more interesting to her than random silly plot inconsistencies. 

All being seasoned soldiers, I think Dalinar/Adolin and Kaladin would be a bit put off by the fact that clearly nobody on screen had any understanding of actual combat tactics.

BbR6OZJ.png

Edited by Numuhuku

I think Jasnah would be more interested in the whole "GIANT FLYING CHICKEN!" angle  :P Particularly from a taxonomic perspective. Shallan is going to be doodling quite a bit. I think the general look of the world will be much more interesting to her than random silly plot inconsistencies. 

All being seasoned soldiers, I think Dalinar/Adolin and Kaladin would be a bit put off by the fact that clearly nobody on screen had any understanding of actual combat tactics.

BbR6OZJ.png

Eh heh heh, right. Giant chickens. I wonder what animal they would think was the strangest? Or, would they be more worried about the fact that the plant life doesn't move, like Rysn in Shinover?

Eh heh heh, right. Giant chickens. I wonder what animal they would think was the strangest? Or, would they be more worried about the fact that the plant life doesn't move, like Rysn in Shinover?

Being able to see it would be interesting, but not mind blowing. With spanreeds and continental trade, most of the high level scholars on Roshar are probably going to be more or less aware of the unusual flora present in Shinovar, even though most would have never seen it.

Though I don't know if Shinovar is home to some of the forests you see in the Lord of the Rings trilogy...hilariously enough, the moving plants in Fangorn are probably going to come off as being less strange than a lot of the other vegetation.

I'm more interested to see Kaladin's reaction to fighter jets, like the F-22.  Or maybe the SR-71 Blackbird.  And a Harrier jet, as well.  They're faster than him and have machine guns and missiles.

Or how about Shallan's reaction to TV's and video games?  Or Dalinar's reaction to cars?

So much fun stuff :)

I'm more interested to see Kaladin's reaction to fighter jets, like the F-22.  Or maybe the SR-71 Blackbird.  And a Harrier jet, as well.  They're faster than him and have machine guns and missiles.

Or how about Shallan's reaction to TV's and video games?  Or Dalinar's reaction to cars?

So which car do they drive? Am I the only one who pictures Dalinar driving... a minivan?  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Yes, yes you are.

Dalinar would probably want a Nissan GTR.  Kal would love a Ferrari, while Navani would drive a Tesla.

I dunno, I'm seeing Dalinar in a van too. Like, I can see him having a really nice car tucked away from his glory days, but until recently he hasn't been able to use it because he was too busy driving his kids around.

I dunno, I'm seeing Dalinar in a van too. Like, I can see him having a really nice car tucked away from his glory days, but until recently he hasn't been able to use it because he was too busy driving his kids around.

Dalinar may have had rocky days in his youth, but nowadays, he is all able safety and security. He takes his role as a single dad very seriously much to his grown up sons dismay. So secured, reliable, sturdy minivan it is.

Adolin would love to have a nice sports car (like all his friends) but Dalinar had read the statistics on the number of car accidents involving sports cars and young men and has decided against it. His son can borrow the family minivan when he needs it.... which had the insidious effect of turning Adolin into the laughing stocks of the posh country club his family belongs to.

Kaladin has an old half ragged motorcycle he repairs himself. It does not look like much, but it is very fast.

Navani definitely drives a Tesla.

Dalinar would despise Denethor with every bone in his body.

Denethor was the movies greatest failure imo, which is a shame because book Denethor is a tragic and fairly noble figure who Dalinar would probably be able to respect in some degree. Movie Denethor sucks. :(

Dalinar may have had rocky days in his youth, but nowadays, he is all able safety and security. He takes his role as a single dad very seriously much to his grown up sons dismay. So secured, reliable, sturdy minivan it is.

Adolin would love to have a nice sports car (like all his friends) but Dalinar had read the statistics on the number of car accidents involving sports cars and young men and has decided against it. His son can borrow the family minivan when he needs it.... which had the insidious effect of turning Adolin into the laughing stocks of the posh country club his family belongs to.

Kaladin has an old half ragged motorcycle he repairs himself. It does not look like much, but it is very fast.

Navani definitely drives a Tesla.

Hoid meanwhile runs through at least six cars a month a has a near miss roughly every time he hits the main roads. His other car is a spaceship. :)

I reckon Kaladin could go faster with more Stormlight and probably has more maneouvreability

Watching LOTR, and I just finished the Stormlight Archives. I can’t help imagining how the different characters would react to it.

I imagine Kaladin would be the one that rolls his eyes at the idea of popping in a movie, but then gets really into it and keeps getting mad at Shallan and Renarin, who keep making predictions and snarky remarks. Dalinar would be shouting at Merry and Pippin’s stupidity, and then pause as he realizes how disturbingly similar he is to Gandalf. Meanwhile, for some reason I imagine Adolin relating on a deep level to Legolas. Navani would pat him on the head and distract him with a kiss. Jasnah would be the first to question why they didn’t just use the eagles, and Elhokar would complain that he wanted to watch The Hobbit instead.

Edit: When I say Navani pats him on the head, I'm referring to Dalinar, not Adolin.  :wacko:

Hold is in the movie.