Book Order Recommendations

Hi all,

I just figured I'd share my recommendations for newbies on how to approach the mammoth that is the Cosmere. For a new reader, it can be difficult to figure out what's going on and how to learn more. Here's how I'd go about tackling the Cosmere works. Feel free to add your thoughts and amendments.

(copied from Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsanderson/comments/3folks/which_step_into_the_cosmere_do_i_take_next/cty6130):

By order of importance (in my opinion):

• Stormlight - Right now, this is where the most Cosmere action is happening.
  • Mistborn - Most relevant plot in the Cosmere besides Stormlight. There are three Eras planned, each in the form of its own trilogy. The first is completed, the second is underway. The third is post-Stormlight on the timeline, and will have great bearing on the Cosmere universe. Era one (the original trilogy) gives you quite a bit of insight into how a world in the Cosmere functions. I'd consider this must-read. (Full disclosure, I haven't been able to get hooked on the second trilogy. I'm not big on the setting. Gonna give it another try, though.)
  • Warbreaker - The main things you'll get here are another magic system and a couple prominent crossover ("worldhopper") characters. This provides some nice easter eggs in Words of Radiance.
  • Elantris - Doesn't give a huge amount, but a light read. Again, provides a bit of insight about how Cosmere magic systems work and background for at least one minor worldhopping character.
  • White Sand (Unpublished) - This one is interesting. It's going to be published next year as a graphic novel, but you've been able to get it for a long time by writing Brandon and asking for a pdf of the unpublished draft. This contains a character that, to date, hasn't showed up in full but has Hoid-esque qualities that could make her a big player.
  • Sixth of the Dusk (Novella) - I love this story. Its main Cosmere function is to foreshadow the third Mistborn trilogy. It's a great standalone read, too.
  • Emperor's Soul (Novella) - Good story, no noteworthy tie-ins to Stormlight as of right now. It does flesh out the Elantris planet a bit more, and could have greater impact in the future.
  • Shadows for Silence (Novella) - I'm not sure if the community has really pinned down anything huge in this one. There are some tidbits if you dig deep. Still a good read.

Stormlight is the most rewarding, and what first got me interested in Brandon Sanderson. I think it's a great place to start, and worth a second read once you've ventured into other novels if you're up to it (if you're on this forum, chances are that you're hooked). Release dates boxed me into reading Way of Kings, then gobbling up everything else I could until Words of Radiance was released. I'm happy I went about it this way, as it made Words of Radiance more rewarding.

Following Way of Kings: If you're strapped for time, start with the original Mistborn trilogy and Warbreaker. Elantris shouldn't be skipped, but isn't a top priority either. Read White Sand when it comes out, or write Brandon to get the draft version.

Other stances are welcome.

I did something like this a while ago. Strangely, it's almost the opposite to yours.

Here's the link.

I can see why you chose the order you did, but I attempted to base my reading order on those 'easter eggs' you mentioned, with books arranged in such a way that they could be understood by someone who is paying attention.

Just one minor nit pick from me... The Wax and Wayne books aren't part of the second trilogy. They're sort of a series 1.5, set between the medieval and modern trilogies. The third series will be sci-fi.

I did something like this a while ago. Strangely, it's almost the opposite to yours.

Here's the link.

Interesting! It's tough to figure out where Stormlight should go in the reading order - readers benefit the most from having tons of background before approaching Stormlight, but at the same time I think it's head and shoulders above anything else Brandon has written (which is intended as praise for Stormlight, not as any disrespect for his other works).

I'm happy with how I went about it, though. I started with Way of Kings, read everything else I could get my hands on, then came back for a hugely beneficial and enjoyable re-read before the release of Words of Radiance.

• Chaos locked this topic