Eyeballing the different mistborn charts!

Phantom Monstrosity

Okay, so a couple years back (beginning of 2011) I emailed Brandon about something, and forgot about an interesting tidbit in the response.

> I really liked the atium reveal at the end of mistborn, but after seeing the poster of metals I'm a little confused about exactly how Atium interacts with the others for mistings.  In the book one in every sixteen snapped really hard because they were able to burn Atium, but with the addition of Chromium and Cadmium (along with their alloys) it seems like the ratio wouldn't work.
>
> Did the mists just ignore people with abilities tied to metals that were undiscovered, or is the ability to burn atium tied to the ability to burn some other metal, or is there some weirder explanation?

The charts are all presented as in-world artifacts; what's contained on them is according to the understanding of people in the world at various points in time.

There is another explanation of how everything works out, and there are a few hints in the series itself. There are also hints if you compare versions of the chart to each other. But I'm not going to make a definitive statement so people can figure things out for themselves. When I get around to writing the Mistborn sequel trilogy, more aspects of the magic system will be explored and may help to answer some of your questions.

There are things even Ruin did not know.

I don't think I've seen anyone come up with hints from comparing versions of the charts.  Since there are apparently some of them there, I think we should start looking at them.

Okay, got four different charts up in this thread. 

I hope that this doesn't tick off the admins.

Let's get cracking.

Thanks a lot, Morderkaine!  Toss him an upvote, people.

PHYSICAL
Iron - Lurcher - Allows the Allomancer to Pull on nearby sources of metal. Pulls must be directly towards the Allomancer's center of gravity.
Steel - Coinshots - Allows the Allomancer to Push on nearby sources of metal. Pushes must be directly away from the Allomancer's center of gravity.

Tin - Tineye - Burning tin increases the sensitivity and capacity of the Allomancer's five senses.  All must be increased at the same time

Pewter - Pewterarm(Thug) - Burning pewter enhances the Allomancer's physical strength, speed, durability, and enhances the body's ability to heal.

ENHANCEMENT

Chromium - Leecher- Acts like Aluminium, but inside the body of another allomancer.  Burning aluminum while touching another Allomancer will wipe their reserves.

Nicrosil - Nicroburst (Nicro) - Burning Nicrosil while touching someone else will give a duraluminum effect to any metals they're burning, causing it to vanish and giving a huge (perhaps unexpected) burst of power.

Aluminum - Aluminum Gnat - Burning aluminium instantly metabolizes all of the allomancer's metals without giving any other effect, wiping all allomantic reserves.

Duralumin - Duralumin Gnat - Burning duralumin instantly burns away any other metals being burned at the time, releasing an enormous burst of power related to those metals.

MENTAL

Zinc - Rioter - Allows the Allomancer to riot (enflame) the emotions of those nearby them.  Can be directed at a single individual or at a general area

Brass - Soother - Allows the Allomancer to soothe (dampen) the emotions of those nearby them.  Can be directed at a single individual or at a general area.

Copper - Coppercloud -Burning this metal creates an invisible cloud around the Allomancer which hides all within it from those who are burning bronze.

Bronze - Seeker - Allows an Allomancer to 'hear' pulses given off by other Allomancers who are burning metals.  Different metals produce different sounds.

TEMPORAL

Cadmium - Pulser - Subtly 'pulls' on time in a bubble around the Allomancer, stretching it and making it pass more slowly.

Cerrobend - Slider - Subtly 'pushes' on time in a bubble around the Allomancer, compressing it and making it pass more quickly.

Gold - Auger - Allows an Allomancer to see a vision of possible other lives they could have led, and different paths they could have taken.

Electrium - Oracle - Allows an Allomancer to see a vision of possible paths they could take in the future.  Usually limited to a few seconds.

GOD METALS

Atium - Pure Atium grants the Allomancer an expansive vision of the future and enhances their mind to accept, process, and hold more information.  In alloy, it produces various expanded Mental and Temporal effects.

Larasium - Pure Lerasium transforms a person into an Allomancer or drastically improves their Allomantic powers.  In alloy form, it produces various expanded Physical and Enhancement effects.  (Including the creation of Mistings)

Just to clarify here - this is well after the chart and HoA, so it shouldn't be 'atium is a god metal'.  I was asking for a clarification on how the Big Allomantic Chart fit with the story, after all, and the Big Allomantic Chart already has it in a seperate category.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

Copied directly form the Table of Feruchemical Metals print.

<edit>Forgot to mention: Allomantic quadrent names added by me for easy reference.</edit>

note: the capitalisation of "Investiture" in reguards to nicrosil

PHYSICAL

Iron - Skimmer - Skimmer Ferrings can store physical weight in an iron metalmind, reducing their effective weight while actively storing, and can tap it at a later time to increase their effective weight.

Steel - Steelrunner - Steelrunner Ferrings can store physical speed in a steel metalmind, slowing them while actively storing, and can tap it at a later time to increase their speed.

Tin - Windwhisperer - Windwhisperer Ferrings can store the sensitivity of one of the five senses into a tin metalmind; a different tin metalmind must be used for each sense, and when tapped, enhances the sense stored within.

Pewter - Brute - Brute Ferrings can store physical strength in a pewter metalmind, reducing their strength while actively storing, and can tap it at a later time to increase their strength.

SPIRITUAL (ENHACEMENT)

Chromium - Spinner - Spinner Ferrings can store fortune in a chromium metalmind, making themselves unlucky during active storage, and can tap it at a later time to increase their luck

Nicrosil - Soulbearer - Soulbearer Ferrings can store Investiture in a nicrosil metalmind. This is a power that very few know anything about; even the people of Terris don’t truly know what they are doing when they use these powers.

Aluminum - Trueself - Trueself Ferrings can store their spiritual sense of identity in an aluminum metalmind. This is an art rarely spoken of outside of Terris communities, and even among them, it is not yet well understood.

Duralumin - Connecter - Connecter Ferrings can store spiritual connection in a duralumin metalmind, reducing other people’s awareness and friendship with them, and can tap it in order to speedily form trust relationships with others.

COGNITIVE (MENTAL)

Zinc - Sparker - Sparker Ferrings can store mental speed in a zinc metalmind, dulling their ability to think and reason while actively storing, and can tap it at a later time to think and reason more quickly.

Brass - Firesoul - Firesoul Ferrings can store warmth in a brass metalmind, cooling themselves off while actively storing. They can tap the metalmind at a later time to warm themselves.

Copper - Archivist - Archivist Ferrings can Store memories in a copper metalmind (coppermind); the memory is gone from their head while in storage, and can be retrieved with perfect recall at a later time.

Bronze - Sentry - Sentry Ferrings can store wakefulness in a bronze metalmind, making themselves drowsy while actively storing. They can tap the metalmind later to reduce drowsiness or to heighten their awareness.

HYBRID (TEMPORAL)

Cadmium - Gasper - Gasper Ferrings can store breath inside a cadmium metalmind; during active storage they must hyperventilate in order for their bodies to get enough air. The breath can be retrieved later, eliminating or reducing the need to breathe.

Bendalloy - Subsumer - Subsumer Ferrings can store nutrition and calories in a bendalloy metalmind; they can eat large amounts of food during active storage without feeling full or gaining weight, and then can go without the need to eat later.

Gold - Bloodmaker - Bloodmaker Ferrings can store health in a gold metalmind, reducing their health while actively storing, and can tap it at later time in order to heal quickly or to heal beyond the body’s usual abilities.

Electrum - Pinnacle - Pinnacle Ferrings can store determination in an electrum metalmind, entering a depressed starter during active storage, and can tap it at a later time to enter a manic phase.

GOD METALS

It is hypothesized that if one could make metalminds out of alloys with the God Metals, other abilities could be discovered. As these God Metals are no longer commonly available, such alloys are not in wide use.

FERUCHEMY

Feruchemy is an end-neutral art, meaning that power is neither gained nor lost. The art also requires metal as a focus, but instead of being consumed, the metal acts as a medium by which abilities within the practitioner are shuttled through time. Invest that metal on one day, withdraw the power on another day.

The Spiritual powers are under heavy experimentation by the Terris community, and aren’t spoken of to outsiders.

Edited by Morderkaine

Thanks a lot!  I really appreciate you going to all that trouble.

Now let's get to farming these guys.

First thing I noticed is 'no longer commonly available' and 'not in wide use' for the god metals in feruchemy, which to me seems to imply that some people are using them feruchemically.  I mean, besides Marsh and whatever Hoid might be doing.  And uh, the author of the table doesn't list atium's age properties.

Are the temporal /mental/physical/enhancement allomantic quadrant titles actually listed on the chart?  Or is it just the feruchemical terms?

For what it's worth, here's the feruchemy table from the rpg:

2012-07-13173352.jpg

And here's a zoom-in on an obvious pair of mistakes

2012-07-13173407.jpg

Don't know why I posted that one.  Anyway, transcribing the

of allomancy now.

Physical

Iron: Pulls Metal Objects

Steel: Pushes Metal Objects

Tin: Enhances the Five Senses

Pewter: Boosts Physique and Health

Enhancement

Aluminum: Wipes Out Metal Reserves

Duralumin: Massively Flares Currently Burning Metals

Chromium: Wipes Out Other's Metal Reserves

Nicrosil: Massively Flares Other's Burning Metals

Mental

Zinc: Riots the Emotions of Others

Brass: Soothes the Emotions of Others

Copper: Hides Nearby Allomancy

Bronze: Seeks Nearby Allomancy

Temporal:

Gold: Reveals Alternate Pasts

Electrum: Reveals Possible Futures

Cadmium: Slows Time

Bendalloy: Speeds Time

God Metals:

Lerasium: ??Grants Allomantic Power??

Atium: ??Reveals the Immediate Future Of Others??

Can't get a good read on those last two.  Man I wish I had a copy on hand.

RPG feruchemy:

Physical:

Iron: Stores Physical Weight

Steel: Stores Physical Speed

Tin: Stores the Five Senses

Pewter: Stores Physical Strength

Spiritual

Chromium: Stores Fortune

Nicrosil: Stores Investiture

Aluminium: Stores Personal Identity

Duralumin: Stores Connections ??[to Others?]??

Cognitive

Zinc: Stores Mental Speed

Brass: Stores Warmth

Copper: Stores Memory

Bronze: Stores Wakefulness

Hybrid

Cadmium: Stores Breath

Bendalloy: Stores Energy

Gold: Stores Physical Health

Electrum: Stores Determination

Actually the RPG tables might not be very useful, but for completion sake...

Are the temporal /mental/physical/enhancement allomantic quadrant titles actually listed on the chart?  Or is it just the feruchemical terms?

They are not. I added them for ease of reference and forgot to mention it. I have edited my post to include this.

I think I have a theory regarding how, as Brandon said, everything works out, but I don't have my copy of HoA at the moment so I couldn't verify my hunch. Could someone please give the list of all the Allomantic metals that Elend didn't know about in HoA? Thanks!

Edit: Specifically, did he know about Electrum?

Edited by skaa

I think I have a theory regarding how, as Brandon said, everything works out, but I don't have my copy of HoA at the moment so I couldn't verify my hunch. Could someone please give the list of all the Allomantic metals that Elend didn't know about in HoA? Thanks!

Edit: Specifically, did he know about Electrum?

He did, they used it against the inquisitors multiple times over the course of the book.  Its formula was found in one of the first caches.

He did, they used it against the inquisitors multiple times over the course of the book. Its formula was found in one of the first caches.

Ah, I might have to abandon my "Atium is Ruin's Electrum" theory then...

Anyway, here's my idea: There might only be 16 types of Misting, each capable of burning one normal metal and at least one Atium alloy. So, an Augur would be able to burn Malatium, a Lurcher would be able to burn Atium-Iron, etc.

Since Electrum was already known then, Atium will have to be either Ruin's Cadmium or Ruin's Bendalloy (based on the fact that Atium is Temporal). So under this model, Demoux, Yomen, etc. will either be Cadmium Mistings or Bendalloy Mistings.

Edited by skaa

Anyway, here's my idea: There might only be 16 types of Misting, each capable of burning one normal metal and at least one Atium alloy. So, an Augur would be able to burn Malatium, a Lurcher would be able to burn Atium-Iron, etc.

This theory has already been proposed (sort of). http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/2588-theory-all-mistings-can-also-burn-the-god-metal-alloys-of-their-metal/

Edited by WeiryWriter

Cool! Haradion's idea that Atium Mistings can burn all Atium alloys sounds intriguing, but I'd be perfectly content with them being able to burn just Atium and whatever metal Atium is based on.

Note that I don't necessarily subscribe to this theory yet. It's just one idea that might resolve Phantom's question about the mists' behavior. What I don't like about this idea is that we're back to square one with Atium-Electrum: What is an Atium-Electrum Misting's power?

Edited by skaa

Also, we know that Seer mistings coming about instead of Cadmium was just Preservation messing with the system (though I'm having some trouble finding the original source). Preservation made it so that Atium/Malatium mistings snapped instead of Cadmium/Bendalloy.

Yeah, there's a quote that preservation was screwing with the system to make it work out nicely, but that doesn't solve the 'were metals removed for everyone or just the mists' question.

http://bookclubs.bar...page/7?nobounce

Preservation wanted Atium and Malatium to be of use to the people, as he recognized that it would be a very powerful tool--and that using it up could help defeat Ruin. But he also recognized that sixteen was a mythological important number, and felt it would make the best sign for his followers. So he took out the most unlikely (difficult to make and use) metals for his sign to his followers. But that doesn't have much to do with Hemalurgy's use here.

It might well be that the mists *could* have snapped 49% of the population (or some other number), but preservation was like 'mallerasium, ain't nobody got that, it'll just confuse everryone'. Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

Also, we know that Seer mistings coming about instead of Cadmium was just Preservation messing with the system (though I'm having some trouble finding the original source). Preservation made it so that Atium/Malatium mistings snapped instead of Cadmium/Bendalloy.

Did HoA say if Elend discovered Malatium Mistings in his army? If the 16 Misting Type theory is correct, the Malatium Mistings in the army would have been able to burn gold, so they'd probably be marked as just Gold Mistings. If Elend actually discovered Malatium Mistings, the 16 Misting Type theory would most likely be wrong.

Edited by skaa

Sanderson has said there's no canonical way to burn more than one type of metal except by being a mistborn or invoking hemalurgy.

Ah. So much for that idea, then.

I wonder if this actually broke other Atium alloys as a side-effect, explaining why we never see them. Or if it only effects which type of Mistings were being Snapped. Edited by Morsk

There are a couple charts in Ars Arcanums as well.
Here's Hero of Ages

EDIT: How do you do tables on this?  They show in the preview and then collapse

METAL    ALLOMANTIC POWER    FERUCHEMICAL POWER    HEMALURGIC POWER
Iron    Pulls on Nearby Sources of Metal    Stores Physical Weight    Steals Human Strength

Steel    Pushes on Nearby Sources of Metal    Stores Physical Speed    Steals Allomantic Physical Powers

Tin    Increases Senses    Stores Senses    Steals Human Senses
Pewter    Increases Physical Abilities    Stores Physical Strength    Steals Feruchemical Physical Powers
Brass    Soothes (dampens) Emotions    Stores Warmth    Steals Feruchemical Mental Attributes
Zinc    Riots (enflames) Emotions    Stores Mental Speed    Steals Human Emotional Fortitude
Copper    Hides Allomantic Pulses    Stores Memories    Steals Human Mental Fortitude
Bronze    Allows One to Hear Allomantic Pulses    Stores Wakefulness    Steals Allomantic Mental Powers
Aluminum    Destroys All of the Allomancer's Reserves    Unknown    Steals Allotmantic Enhancement Powers
Duralumin    Enhances the Next Metal Burned    Unknown    Unknown
Atium    See into other people's futures    Stores Age    Steals Allomantic Temporal Powers
Malatium    See into other people's pasts    Unknown    Unknown
Gold    See into your own past    Stores Health    Unknown
Electrum    See into your own future    Unknown    Unknown

• Chaos locked this topic