A Stab At How That Other Continent Uses Magic (Spoilers?)

Yados

As far as I know, there are only a few things we know about the people on the other side of Scadrial.

1) The Lord Ruler knew about them and used them as a "control" when he did the things he did to the Final Empire. He didn't change them into Skaa or Noble. They don't, presumably, have any Lerasium running through their bloodlines/spiritual-dna bloodlines. Which means even if they have Allomancers, they're just Mistings and they always have been. 

2) They have had 1000 years of technological advancement, largely unfettered by TLR. 

3) As per the Reddit, AMA, they use Scardriel's magic differently. More "mechanically" I believe. 

Only knowing these things, I'm going to make a stab at how these people do whatever it is they do. 

Metal on Scadrial, doesn't have magic inside of it. It allows Allomancers to access Preservation's power, which then invests them directly.  

But if you had a population without any known Allomancers (or very, very few) and you gave them enough time, perhaps they could figure out a way to "burn" those metals without doing so internally. 

Sort of like splitting an atom, or the slower process you see in a nuclear power plant, but instead of the energy released coming from the thing being split or breaking down into energy, the molecular structure of the metal is serving a a microscopic "Aon," creating a small portal to Preservation's power, allowing these people to harvest Investiture. 

What could they do with this Investiture? I don't really know. 

Hemalurgy springs to mind, however. This would be a "clean" way of investing a Spike, allowing a population to experiment with Hemalurgy without the limitations (both moral and by the relative scarcity of allomancers) placed on Hemalurgy in the Final Empire.

There's still an energy cost in Investing the Spike, which keeps the process entropic, but since the people on the other continent can't use the Investiture as an Allomancer would, it's less noticeable.  

And a population that either doesn't have or (or perhaps doesn't like) the idea of Allomancers, wouldn't necessarily use Spikes to grant Allomantic or Ferchemic ability (even if they could without using Hemalurgy to sever off a piece of a Spiritweb). They're more likely use them as TLR did to create things like Kandra, Inquisiters, and Koloss. Enhancements.

Maybe just like Blessing allow Kandra to be stronger or smarter, these people could create sentient animals or physically/mentally augmented humans, or humans that would have a good enough constitution to withstand more conventional bionic enhancements for combat or space travel. 

This is my stab at it, based on what BS has said.

I guess my main idea is just tat these people have found a way to access preservation's power through the metal without burning internally/biologically. 

If it's true that technology advanced on another continent during TLR's reign, then it would stand to reason they would have modern technology. If so, why didn't they fly to the Final Empire? Surely with their advanced technology they could have taken over it, even if they didn't have any Allomancers.

Who says they even know if there's anything at the other pole?

If 90% of the planet is inhospitable to life, they presumably haven't sunk much of their research into long-range travel.  

Exploring the world was always a big part in Eath's history. The people of Scadrial resemble us Earthlings pretty closely, so it would stand to reason they'd want to explore. And besides, if no one had explored, how do they even know 90% of the planet is inhospitable?

Edited by kroen

I would imagine that they have explored to a certain degree, but given that a certain distance from the equator is needed for life to be sustainable - not just pleasant, I'm talking flat out possible - it's entirely plausible that they either assume there is nothing on the other pole, or their technology is not yet advanced enough to even travel through the uninhabitable 90% of the planet.

Considering that we only developed long-range flight as a means of travelling to distant places which we KNEW were there, what incentive do those on the southern continent have? And that's assuming their technology has even progressed as far as manned flight.

Exploring the world was always a big part in Eath's history. The people of Scadrial resemble us Earthlings pretty closely, so it would stand to reason they'd want to explore. And besides, if no one had explored, how do they even know 90% of the planet is inhospitable?

But it's been a part of Earth's history because our world is brimming with land and resources. There's profit.

The parts that aren't full of things we like or use, like Antarctica or the bottom of the Ocean or the Moon, go pretty much unexplored. 

Just look at how much technology advanced in the 300 years after TLR's death; Electricity, cars, skyscrapers... The other continent had a 1000.

They also have the Words of Founding, supernaturally fertile soil in the Elendel Valley, and a God who likes them and sometimes gives them guns if they ask nicely. 

Our world existed at a technological equilibrium for thousands of years. Who knows when these peoples hit an industrial revolution. Or even if they had the necessary resources to do so. 

If TLR didn't just destroy them when he had the chance, I'd assume there was something else keeping them from advancing to a point where they could challenge him. Brandon may have put himself in a difficult place.

I like the theory. I'm personally hoping some sort of benign hemalurgy is discovered.

Firstly, we have a Marsh PoV that states that to charge a spike, there needs to be contact with blood. Since this is pretty much Ruin's knowledge, then I doubt there's a way to charge a spike that doesn't at the very least require injuring someone.

Otherwise, I don't mind the idea of them splitting metals or what have you to access the same powers. I'd be curious how such a thing would be controlled, or what some of the internal metals would do. I'm also curious because I thought WoB was that they used Feruchemy differently too. Presumably they still have full Feruchemists, since there is (again assuming) no Lerasium to dilute the bloodlines.

I think it should be possible to use syringes for Hemalurgy. What I mean is if you would normally have to spike someone in the heart to steal trait X, you could instead draw blood from the heart using a syringe and then dip the spike in it. This way, the trait is replicated, not lost, and no one dies. Just a theory.

I think it should be possible to use syringes for Hemalurgy. What I mean is if you would normally have to spike someone in the heart to steal trait X, you could instead draw blood from the heart using a syringe and then dip the spike in it. This way, the trait is replicated, not lost, and no one dies. Just a theory.

It is possible to non-lethally gain a hemalurgic spike but the host would still lose it, the syringe thing might work but considering how hemalurgy is affected by binding points I'd doubt it.

It is possible to non-lethally gain a hemalurgic spike but the host would still lose it, the syringe thing might work but considering how hemalurgy is affected by binding points I'd doubt it.

You get the blood from these binding points... 

When you use a Hemalurgic spike, you rip a part of the spiritweb out of the victim.  Since applying the hemalurgic spike essentially "staples" the stolen spiritweb onto your own, I personally don't really see a syringe taking a bit of blood working for hemalurgy.

You get the blood from these binding points... 

I don't see the blood being particularly different enough in each area to alter hemalurgic effects, I'd say its more to do with which organ or muscles the spike pierces, etc. which area of the spiritweb it rips away.

Except we have WoB that ripping a trait from someone's Spirit Web will leave them very dysfunctional. You might not kill someone, but you will definitely leave them worse for the wear. 

If a tiny shard like the tip of a sword, or the piece of metal Marsh sticks in Penrod can be spikes, I think a syringe can be too. I still think the 'donor' would lose the trait however, as tearing off a chunk of the soul doesn't seem like it would have any other result

Does the size of a spike have any affect on Hemalurgy? (wiki scan didn't turn up anything)

If so, I could see that being a downside of using a small spike like a syringe.

It would stand to reason, as the amount of metal has a clear correlation to power in Allomancy and Feruchemy.

Does the size of a spike have any affect on Hemalurgy? (wiki scan didn't turn up anything)

If so, I could see that being a downside of using a small spike like a syringe.

It would stand to reason, as the amount of metal has a clear correlation to power in Allomancy and Feruchemy.

Well Vin's was just an earring and it gave her enough power to pierce copper clouds. 

I'm not sure would have to check the book, but I seem to remember Marsh lamenting that the spike used in Penrod was too small to be of much use beyond giving Ruin a way in

Yeah, but Penrod's was so small he didn't even know it was there... I think. I'd also have to check the book.