Dadradah

Ursus

I'm unsure of where this kind of post belongs, so I'm putting it here, it seems to fit as a discussion of crossover between two worlds.,

On pages 637-38 (chapter 50) of my copy of The Well of Ascension (not sure what the official acronym is so I'll use WoA) Sazed proposes the religion of the Dadradah to Clubs as a religion of art. These are the qualities that Sazed gives to Clubs in his dialogue the religion:

-"Spanned many countries and peoples."

-". . . they believed that there was only one God, and that there was only one right way to worship."

-"They thought art drew one closer to God."

-"They were most interested in color and hue, and they were fond of writing poetry describing colors they saw in the world around them."

I read Warbreaker (WB) and WoA a year ago and I'm just now retreading the Mistborn trilogy now and I noticed this as a possible connection to WB can anyone confirm or deny this?

Perhaps this is one of those hidden references hidden by a simple differing of names? I apologize for my lack of knowledge on WB, I'll be reading it again soon.

Just some ideas to discuss. Again, I apologize for any infringement upon proper forum posting or the rules of this absurd language we call English.

--That weird guy no one knows anything about, Gemmel.

It's easy to draw connections in a setting like this, but honestly I'd be suprised if there WASN'T a color-based religion on just about every world. It sounds like th ekind of thing you'd get a religion out of. Warbreaker just happens to be here too.

Argh, that came out all wrong >_>

We're drawing connections where no connection need exist. Warbreaker is about color, but religions can be about color too without ever needing a connection. This is simply too baseless, as cool as it would be otherswise.

No, I remember Brandon talking about it as well.

There is a meta-fictional reason for the religion. Basically, the idea bounced around in Brandon's head, and he used it in two different settings.

Given the Brandon approaches religion, I wouldn't be surprised if, "in-Universe" the worshippers of Dadradah hadn't stumbled across a bit of the truth (part of Realmantics theory, perhaps?), and that this same truth also manifests itself much more clearly in Warbreaker. They have the same metaphysical underpinnings, after all, even if some parts are exaggerated more by the presence of the various shards.

There is a quote, I will try to find it later, that Brandon said he based a book off one of the religions in Mistborn, I think this is the one.

Edit: I found the quote.

From the annotations:

Also, the religion Sazed preaches here is one I decided to spin off into its own book, focusing Warbreaker around it. They aren’t the same planet, but I wanted to do more about a religion that worships art, and that was one of the initial motivations for Warbreaker’s setting.

From the Interview Database:

BRANDON SANDERSON ()

I mention this in one of the Well of Ascension annotations.

After I came up with the idea and had Sazed mention it, my desire to explore it more was one of the initial motivations for Warbreaker's setting.

Edited by Tulir

Here's the quote you guys were thinking of, although it was referring to the Astalsi.

ERIC LAKE ()

Here's a quote. "Why, the Astalsi were rather advanced—they mixed religion with science quite profoundly. They thought that different colors were indications of different kinds of fortune, and they were quite detailed in their descriptions of light and color. Why, it's from them that we get some of our best ideas as to what things might have looked like before the Ascension. They had a scale of colors, and use it to describe the sky of the deepest blue and various plants in their shades of green." Do the pre-Ascension religions correspond to religions from other Shardworlds, as this one seems somewhat like Nalthis?

BRANDON SANDERSON ()

I mention this in one of the Well of Ascension annotations.

After I came up with the idea and had Sazed mention it, my desire to explore it more was one of the initial motivations for Warbreaker's setting.

The answer to your question is yes and no. There are shadows.

Source

The "There are Shadows" comment is why I think the Astalsi may have stumbled on something real in the Cosmere, but reflected only weakly in their own world compared with Warbreaker.

Part of why I say this is because there are other shadows in the other books as well. For instance, in Warbreaker, Vasher contemplates the dual nature of creation and destruction: to create a beautiful building, you must destroy the flowers sitting where the building will be. Shadows of Ruin and Preservation's roles.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I noticed the similarity of Vasher's contemplations to Ruin and Preservation too having read them all around the same time.

Has there been anything about how Shards may influence the overall Cosmere or was the "shadows" thing the only thing we have about this?

• Chaos locked this topic