So I've been thinking it would be really cool to have a big Cosmere-related gathering sometime. I'd love to have a big party to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Elantris, someplace nice, where we of the Seventeenth can meet up, eat some Cosmere-themed dishes, show off our costumes, discuss theories, stage dramatic readings of Cosmere works, etc.

So, is there interest in doing this from people, and if so, where? I personally would love to see this happen on the East Coast somewhere, since I live in Allentown and SLC is not exactly in driving distance for me. But if we had an event like this in somewhere like NYC or Philly, or even further out, in Baltimore or DC or Boston, I would be really excited.

So let's sound off! Would anyone be interested in something like this, and if so, where are you located (and how far would you be willing or able to travel)?

I realize that we have a ton of Utah/Washington people here in the ol' 17th, but they do already get some cool events for the BYU release parties and whatnot... I'm wondering if we have enough East Coasters to put together some kind of a shindig here.

EDIT: also, Argent, I'm hoping to come out to GenCon this year... Maybe we can have a 17th Shard dinner someplace in Indy one night?

Edited by AndrewStirlingMacDonald

I've been wondering when we were going to start SanderCon... Or ShardCon, or CosmereCon, or whatever. Just hoping it can be out west; getting to JordanCon has been prohibitive. The thing is, those who run it get to say where they're going to hold it, so I guess that should be incentive for somebody. :)

Anyone planning on WorldCon this summer?

So I've been thinking it would be really cool to have a big Cosmere-related gathering sometime. I'd love to have a big party to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Elantris, someplace nice, where we of the Seventeenth can meet up, eat some Cosmere-themed dishes, show off our costumes, discuss theories, stage dramatic readings of Cosmere works, etc.

So, is there interest in doing this from people, and if so, where? I personally would love to see this happen on the East Coast somewhere, since I live in Allentown and SLC is not exactly in driving distance for me. But if we had an event like this in somewhere like NYC or Philly, or even further out, in Baltimore or DC or Boston, I would be really excited.

So let's sound off! Would anyone be interested in something like this, and if so, where are you located (and how far would you be willing or able to travel)?

This. Would. Be. Awesome! I live near D.C. and I would love to do it. Good on you, Andrew.

Oh man. 17th Shard meet up, Sandercons, the whole shebang. The only thing that would make it better was if Robert Jordan's ghost came and told us he was going to come. I imagine meeting a ghost would be rather cool. But yeah, that'd be something most people would probably be down with that.

I agree with Argent. SanderCon sounds better.

If SanderCon does get off the ground, I would ask that you don't do what many of the major conventions I'd love to visit do. Don't keep it based in the US. For the first few years, sure, but then look at maybe holding one in Europe, so non-US fans can visit without spending thousands of dollars, pounds, euros, whatever on transport.

If SanderCon does get off the ground, I would ask that you don't do what many of the major conventions I'd love to visit do. Don't keep it based in the US. For the first few years, sure, but then look at maybe holding one in Europe, so non-US fans can visit without spending thousands of dollars, pounds, euros, whatever on transport.

The problem with this is that a SanderCon would be set-up and run by people in the U.S., and as a result holding it anywhere other than the U.S. would involve a larger amount of attendees needing to spend those thousands of dollars/euros/pounds. Or, only Europeans show, and if that's the case, why not just run your own Euro-based SanderCon, rather than making American fans do the traveling. That is the solution that seems to work best, anyways. That being said, as an individual from Michigan, I feel some of your pain. If the Con is held in any of the usual places, I'm spending upwards of $1000 just on travel, and then add on food and shelter. I'm pretty much excluded from any Sanderson related event unless I make specific, long term commitments to go.

The only way to do something like that is to have European fans willing to do the work of putting it on. Most of us are just fans with other work to do. We're none of us (that I know of) independently wealthy; we can't afford to spend the time and money it would take to coordinate it anywhere but (pretty much) right where we live. JordanCon is always held near Atlanta - not because Robert Jordan was based there, but because the people who do ALL THE WORK of organizing it live there. If I were to be involved in organizing it, for example, it would be in cooperation with other folks in the Seattle area, and it would happen in the Seattle area. 

If it were to get big enough to actually pay people to do the organizational legwork, then I could see it being moved around the world to where there are other fans who'd like to attend. That's about the only chance I can imagine - other than a bunch of y'all deciding to organize your own SanderCon. Which would be a very, very cool thing, and I'll bet Brandon would try to be there.

ETA - Heh. Is there an echo in here?

Edited by Wetlander

The problem with this is that a SanderCon would be set-up and run by people in the U.S., and as a result holding it anywhere other than the U.S. would involve a larger amount of attendees needing to spend those thousands of dollars/euros/pounds. Or, only Europeans show, and if that's the case, why not just run your own Euro-based SanderCon, rather than making American fans do the traveling. That is the solution that seems to work best, anyways. That being said, as an individual from Michigan, I feel some of your pain. If the Con is held in any of the usual places, I'm spending upwards of $1000 just on travel, and then add on food and shelter. I'm pretty much excluded from any Sanderson related event unless I make specific, long term commitments to go.

Why not have it in Grand Rapids, take over the Van Andel Arena for a day and...*cough*

Anyways, considering there seem to be many people on the East Coast and in the Central US, a more centralized location like Chicago or close to it might be ideal... That is, if such a thing is possible, but I really don't know, planning cons and big events are not really my area of expertise...

So, my thought is, that we could at least fund it somewhat through a kickstarter...or something...perhaps?

Edited by Nymp

I have event management experience and would totally be willing to volunteer to help out with a Brandon centered convention.  I think it would be awesome to do it here in Seattle or Portland!

I also think it would be fun to just have a Brandon fan meetup in Seattle sometime.  I would love to see Wetlander, Shardlet, Hoser, and controlled_slide again!

a more centralized location like Chicago or close to it might be ideal

Let's not worry about the "or close" part. Chicago sounds good, it has a good tactical and strategic value. 

In all fairness though, not much happens in Chicago, at least as far as geeky events go. We've only got a couple of annual conventions, and they are all pretty young. Until several months ago, the geek culture didn't really have a place to celebrate itself (unless you count places like the planetarium, aquarium, or the zoo) - though now we have our own glorious Geek Bar and they are doing much good. 

I guess I am saying that it's not an established culture here, not as much as it is in other cities. Plus, you pretty much have to schedule it between the months of May and September, or risk a random snowfall. I swear, half the year here feels like Roshar...

Of course, if there's gonna be a Sanderson convention in Chicago, the venue will have be made mostly of steel.

Or I guess the organizers could just cover things up in steel-colored paint or wallpaper or something. :P

I have event management experience and would totally be willing to volunteer to help out with a Brandon centered convention.  I think it would be awesome to do it here in Seattle or Portland!

I also think it would be fun to just have a Brandon fan meetup in Seattle sometime.  I would love to see Wetlander, Shardlet, Hoser, and controlled_slide again!

Thumbs up on both of these! I am no way going to offer to create a convention (I've never even managed to attend one yet!) but I'd sure do my best to help out. 

And if there's a local Brandon-fan meet-up, I'm all in. :)