Non-sword Awakened items

HobbitGuy1420

So.  We know that at least part of Nightblood's wonderfully terrifying personality is that it was given a very vague Awakening command ("Destroy evil"), and if I remember correctly another part of it is that it's a sword, and there's really only one thing that you *do* with a sword, so that shaped its mind, too.  

What sorts of effects might you get out of an Awakened item with a different shape and command?  A shield instructed to "Defend the innocent" or a pen told to "share knowledge," for example?

Whoa, on that note, what if you awaken a shield with "defend evil"?

I imagine it would be fairly useless, since NNightblood seems to have no real understanding of evil. The shield might just end up defending anyone holding it that is actively fighting. So the good guy could grab it and start swinging his weapon making the shield think he's evil.

Whoa, on that note, what if you awaken a shield with "defend evil"?

I imagine it would be fairly useless, since NNightblood seems to have no real understanding of evil. The shield might just end up defending anyone holding it that is actively fighting. So the good guy could grab it and start swinging his weapon making the shield think he's evil.

Well, it's a bit more and less than that. Remember that Nightblood really wants to and tries to understand what Evil is so he can fight it. He's wrong half the time but he's getting there. He also gained a set of weird powers relating to making "evil" people desire him enough to draw him and then kill everyone around them in choking black smoke. I'd be more interested to try and guess where the hell something like that came from and how the extra powers would manifest in a shield with "Defend Evil". Would it just pump lots of extra power into them and essentially make them invulnerable? Would it float around blocking all attacks at lightning speed?

Edited by Windrunner
Please watch the language

Well, it's a bit more and less than that. Remember that Nightblood really wants to and tries to understand what Evil is so he can fight it. He's wrong half the time but he's getting there. He also gained a set of weird powers relating to making "evil" people desire him enough to draw him and then kill everyone around them in choking black smoke. I'd be more interested to try and guess where the hell something like that came from and how the extra powers would manifest in a shield with "Defend Evil". Would it just pump shitloads of extra power into them and essentially make them invulnerable? Would it float around blocking all attacks at lightning speed?

Actually, Nightblood is a little bit better than that.  He uses the wielder's conscience to try to determine if they people are evil or not.  Still far from fool-proof, but Vasher uses it as a first easy way to test people.  Don't forget:  Nightblood's form is not remotely human, and that hurts, but the breaths were once part of living people.  That helps.

Edited to add:  This might well carry over to other awakened objects, especially if they are suited for something rather more literal than "Destroy Evil."  If you say "Protect Children" to a shield, it would probably be somewhat more predictable.  The biggest ambiguity would be the definition of "children" and resolving conflicts.  Whether it would be proactive is another question.

Edited by happyman

• Chaos locked this topic